Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 98 Boot Disk

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 watchmenswife

watchmenswife

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 31 May 2006 - 05:09 PM

i have windows 98 and it has some problems and i made a boot disk to hopfully fix it and it takes me to a dos screen and gives me an A: prompt and i don't know what to do after that

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 01 June 2006 - 04:26 AM

What are you hoping to fix with the boot disk??

Can you please supply more information as to what's wrong.

#3 The Shadow

The Shadow

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 10:08 AM

A DOS boot disk fixes absolutely Nothing.

If you want to do a Scandisk from DOS then you need the Scandisk.exe file on the disk.

Same with any other program you want to run from that disk.

Now, there is one exception....of course...

If you have a program on your hard drive that you want to run, like Scanreg.exe, they you can run it from your A: prompt if you know the path to it. Something like this:

C:\windows\command\Scanreg.exe

You just have to know where the command resides on your hard drive to run it from the A:\>
prompt.

Now, telling us exactly what it is you're trying to do, would help immensely.

If you'd like my own DOS boot disk, then go to my Download Site
and download
wnMEboot.exe
Just run the file and it will make for you a very nice Boot Disk, complete with full color menu.
It's actually Windows ME and NOT 98, but that's OK. It will work just fine on 98, 98/SE or ME.

With it you can run a scandisk, or run "Scanreg.exe /restore" or do some serious cleanup of your hard drive with my "Hoover.bat" program.

It's all Menu driven.....nothing to type.

Good Luck,
The Shadow :thumbsup:
For those wanting, or needing the Norton Removal Tool,
it's latest version is available Here:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...005033108162039

"The only bad backup is the one you decided NOT to make" Annonymous

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 02 June 2006 - 08:08 PM

As the others have said, a boot disk does not, by itself, fix anything. It boots your computer to a DOS prompt when nothing else will work. It's handy for fixing a couple of problems, but we need to know what the problems are.

It's pretty handy to know your way around in DOS. A half-dozen DOS commands can do a lot for you. (Some of us used nothing else for many years before Windows came out.)

Drive letter

Changing the drive letter is as easy as the letter and a colon, so C: will get you to the C drive.

cd

this command changes directories. For instance, type cd windows from the C: prompt and you'll see:

C:\Windows>

two dots (..)

Typing cd with two dots takes you back one directory. So from the Windows prompt, you type:

C:\Windows> cd ..

. . . and you get back to C:\>

type cd \ and you get back to the root of the drive, or

C:\>

. . . and so on.

That's just for starters. Once we know what the problem is, such as a too-full drive or a damaged registry, we can help you further.

#5 jbravo

jbravo

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2006 - 05:48 AM

u can fix most of the problems thru windows itself. just explain the problem and get the solution.

jb.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users