Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Svchost.exe Virus (Avast blowing up!)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 ASG16_4

ASG16_4

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:50 PM

So I got on my brothers computer and I noticed that avast has been disabled  and has completly stopped working so then I tried uninstalling it and it didn't work so then I tried updating it and that told me that it had no connection. So then I just reinstalled the newest Avast version and then then rebooted my brothers pc. But then Avast blew up! Telling me that threats were detected in Svchost.exe and the messages were flooding in! I think by the type I managed to type all this up Avast has detected over this same problem 200 times. I'm pretty confused about this (Being a computer guy i've never seen anything like this...) It would be nice if you guys could help me and my brother :) And another thing... I only get to go to his house every once in a while so I don't know if I can update on this thread every 5 days... I'll try to maintain contact with him through skype and he will provide me with logs and other types of info so I can post any updates here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 aharonov

aharonov

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,441 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:57 AM

Hi there,

I think by the type I managed to type all this up Avast has detected over this same problem 200 times.

Can you please post up the detailed description of avast on what exactely has been blocked?

Also run the following scans:

Step 1

Please download TDSSKiller and save it to your Desktop.
  • Start tdsskiller.exe with administrator privileges.
  • Accept the EULA and the KSN Statement.
  • Click on Change parameters.
  • Make sure that all available options (except "Loaded modules") are checked and click OK.
  • Click on Start scan.
  • If any threats are found don't delete them but choose the Skip option for all of them.
  • Click on Report to open the log file. (It is also saved at C:\TDSSKiller.<version_date_time>_log.txt).
    Copy and paste its contents in your next reply.

Step 2

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your Desktop.
(If you are not sure which version (32-/64-bit) applies to your system, download and try to start both of them as just the right one will run.)
  • Start FRST with administator privileges.
  • Make sure the option Addition.txt is checked and press the Scan button.
  • When finished, FRST will produce two logs (FRST.txt and Addition.txt) in the same directory the tool was run from.
  • Please copy and paste these logs in your next reply.

#3 ASG16_4

ASG16_4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:17 PM

Ok so i'm back from our trip in L.A and my brother has decided to dump his system and just downgrade to Windows XP. But first we gotta gut his hard drive of all of the important stuff, i'm probably going to be plugging it into my PC. But I don't want the virus to transfer to me is there anyway to ensure this doesn't happen?

#4 aharonov

aharonov

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,441 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:10 PM

Why downgrade to Windows XP? This is not a particularly good idea because Windows XP has reached end-of-life.
Just format the hard drive and reinstall the current operating system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users