Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen savers?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:42 PM

Dunno if this is the right place for this topic?

I know, in the post-CRT age screen savers really have no function, except perhaps to amuse the computer user.  In fact they might if anything shorten the life of an LCD display.  But in past ages I enjoyed them (anybody remember AfterDark?) and now I am really just looking for some kind of warning before the screen goes black.  In Win XP I (being a waterworks manager <G>) enjoyed the 3D pipes.  Before that I (being a mathematical physicist by training) enjoyed various versions of the Mandelbrot Set.  A schoolteacher colleague, not so very long ago, had all the computers in his homeoroom set up to display Leonardo Da Vinci's inventions.

All that comes with Windows 8 seems to be "Bubbles" which after a few times around is terminally boring.

I wouldn't mind being able to port 3D pipes from Win XP to Win 8.  Ideas?

Thanks,

John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:35 AM

Google "windows 8 screensavers" (minus quotes) and you will get a boatload of choices. BE CAREFUL !!! Screensaver sites are notorious for irritating pop-up add type SSs, 30-day trial SSs, and just plain adware, malware, and other various nasties.

Since you appear to want SSs for a corporate environment, I would be doubly careful about putting a third party SS on a corporate PC.

That being said, if you look at the MS website Win 8 SS offerings, you can be reasonably certain those will be virus free.

#3 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:14 AM

Upon further research it appears you can port it from WinXP (or 98) via removable media. This link may help... http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-desktop/3d-pipes-screensaver-for-vista/a8fb0b42-b5cc-46df-9b35-0a6ec6f4aefa .

The above works for Vista and Win7, so it may work for Win8.

#4 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:11 PM

Our "corporate environment" consists of two people in the office (myself, often also in the field, and my secretary who runs the office) with two computers, a desktop for the donkey work (E-mail, word processing and processing of customer payments) and the laptop I use for some of the more technical stuff like looking up oddball hardware (water service hardware I mean, not computers <G>).  Not much need for screen savers there.  At home I find the 3D pipes amusing - most of what I do involves water pipes and fixing them when somebody runs over them with an overweighted truck, etc.  I already noticed the nature of most screen-saver sites.  I use WOT, and Avast1 also provides a site evaluation button.  Apart from the pipes I rather liked the Da Vinci inventions ones when I saw them in a colleague's homeroom back in my teaching days, but recently I went looking for them online and was not at all impressed with what I found.  Not tempted to try to download any.  The ones my colleague had were animated and really rather informative (his was a middle-school science classroom; I have been a University science teacher for most of my life).

Another favorite was the Mandelbrot set (I started out as a mathematician).  With the graphics capabilities now available, there ought to be some very interesting versions of that.  Haven't had time to look for them yet.

There are a few interesting old games - Chinese chess for instance - I would rather like to have on tap, but those sites did not inspire me with confidence either.and so far I've refrained from installing anything from there.

Think I may try the port of 3D pipes from XP.  Thanks for the tip!

#5 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:58 PM

Works like a charm. In fact I ported over the entire suite of Win XP screen savers, and they all appear now as options in Win 8. Makes me wonder what the M$ folks were thinking?  I suspect you can port over a lot of  other stuff - for instance Windows games like solitaire, FreeCell, and even oldies from the ancient Windows Entertainment Pack.  Very useful to me, actually - when I am working on a really gnarly intellectual problem I play endless games of mindless solitaire while the subconscious is doing its unfathomable stuff.  Keeps the blood flowing and the brain from freezing up, or something.  Wonder if Bicycle Solitaire (a DOS game that runs unproblematically on XP) would also run on Win 8?  Might be problems with the way it takes control of the graphics?

And what about the "Links" golf game?  <GGGG>

Edited by saluqi, 23 July 2014 - 10:00 PM.

#6 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:47 PM

Just wanted to add one more comment: because of superior graphics the colors are brighter and clearer in Win 8 than they were in Win XP ...

#7 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:06 AM

If you can find a copy of "Microsoft Plus! SuperPack for Windows XP", you can probably install (or port) that on Win8 also. IIRC that software has several good 3D screenies. I don't believe it was made for Vista, but you may be able to find it in bargain-bins... or just see what the freight is on the open market!

Edited by ElfBane, 25 July 2014 - 09:08 AM.

#8 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:28 PM

Thanks for that idea!  Google found all possible versions of that.  Some free, some not.  Think I'll try one <G>.  First I'll have a look round the bargain bins - but I live in the boonies and the nearest bargain bins, other than online, are 60 miles away <G>.  Never mind, I have to drive that far for groceries too <G>. 60 miles to go to the bank (did that this afternoon).  Ugh.

I guess some would say, I am easily amused <G>.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users