Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive Not Found

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 loydclayton

loydclayton

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:28 PM

I have an HP Laptop with a Seagate FreeAgent hard drive attached to it. When I try to back up files to this drive, and go to choose where I want to backup the files to, the drive is not listed:

Seagate02.png

See, no Seagate external drive listed. But, when I go to Device Manager on my computer, the Seagate drive is listed:

Seagate01.png

Any ideas on why this drive shows up in Device Manger but not in my list of files, folders, & drives? Device Manager says this drive is working properly.

Thanks,

Loyd Clayton

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:58 PM

Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management.  There you'll see a map of your drives.  If the external drive has been formatted, all you'll likely need is to assign a drive letter to it.  If not, you'll need to create a partition and format it.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:53 PM

1.  Unplug all drives.
2.  If it has it's own power source, unplug it.
3.  Power down the computer.
4.  Leave unplugged for 5 minutes, leave computer powered down also.
5.  Plug the drive(s) in, plug in power cord, if appropriate.
6.  Start computer.

This worked for a friend.

Best of luck!
:bananas: :bounce:

#4 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:29 AM

open up disk management tool (you can find it in computer management, right click on computer and select manage). It should list the seagate drive and what state it is in ... please report back - Do Not do anything like initialize or format the disk - at this point we are just looking for the state of the drive.

#5 loydclayton

loydclayton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:41 PM

Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management.  There you'll see a map of your drives.  If the external drive has been formatted, all you'll likely need is to assign a drive letter to it.  If not, you'll need to create a partition and format it.

Good luck.

Thanks, I did this and it worked. I assigned it letter E and it suddenly appeared:

now.png

Mahalo!

-Loyd

Thanks to all who replied. Problem is solved!

Aloha,

Loyd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users