Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re-installing my OS question

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 alexmark

alexmark

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:03 PM

I had a problem with my laptop and created a post here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/541117/a-few-laptop-issues/

and the conclusion we came to was re-installing my OS and i didnt want to do a complete back up since my  computer has alot of junk on it i could do without so i decided to just copy some of my files in to a folder  then save that folder on to a usb then just  put the files back once my computer is wiped clean, sofar i just have my music, pictures, firefox bookmarks and a folder called asus  that had some drivers but they seemed important  wasnt sure if that would appear after the reinstalled my os  so i copied the folder too just incase, so my question; is there anything i missed thats crucial for my computer that i'll absolutley need  or will anything i missed just be re-installed afterwards through popups when it notices its missing a driver.

Thanks ahead of time

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:36 PM

If you're using a restore partition, or restore CD/DVD, all the drivers will be automatically put back on your system.

Have a great day!

:bananas: :bounce:

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:44 PM

Do you use an email client? (Windows Live Mail, Outlook, Thunderbird, etc)
If so and the email accounts set up in them are POP accounts you will need to back up mail you don't want to lose and your contacts. All of it will be wiped out from a reinstall of Windows. Don't forget to back up mail in folders you created.

If your email accounts are IMAP everything should still be on the mail server and will download again when you set up the client after OS reinstall. To be on the safe side, you could also back up IMAP mail accounts.

Are you reinstalling using a Windows disk? If so, it might create a Windows.old folder which will contain all your pictures, music, etc.

If it is created it will be listed on Drive C after the reinstall.

You should also make sure you have your Windows key available.

For good measure, you could also download the drivers you will need and save those just in case the drivers in the Asus folder cannot be used.

If you have a recovery partition, the drivers will be automatically installed and you should not need the Windows key.

Looking at the MiniToolBox log in your other topic there is no recovery partition listed so I'm guessing you will be using a disk. You also state Win 7 Ultimate is the OS on your system and that suggests disk will be used if you reinstall Ultimate.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 20 July 2014 - 09:52 PM.

#4 alexmark

alexmark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:16 PM

i dont use any email client so i should be good for the the first few questions you listed, as for downloading drivers just to be safe i wouldnt have a clue which drivers i would need or how to get them.

i dont have a disk for the OS since it didnt come with one when i bought it but im pretty sure the OS was a pirated of win7 ultimate although i ran "belaric advisor" and it found a product key for win7 ultimate so im not sure if its useable or not. i went on the manufacturers site and it said that my computer asus g51-vx comes with windows vista not win7 ultimate so when i wipe my system clean will it be asking for a windows vista product key or a win7 ultimate key?

edit: also im not to worried about saving any programs or anything like that im looking forward to having a clean computer and then reinstalling everything from scratch so i only plan on saving a few personal tweaks and files not sure if i got them all though.

Edited by hamluis, 27 July 2014 - 09:31 AM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:05 PM

i dont have a disk for the OS since it didnt come with one when i bought it but im pretty sure the OS was a pirated of win7 ultimate although i ran "belaric advisor" and it found a product key for win7 ultimate so im not sure if its useable or not. i.

Sounds to me as if you have an illegally installed Windows,,,which may reflect an illegal key...which won't be of any value at all when attempting to use any restore-to-factory-defaults function...which may not even be operative on the hard drive, since all previous partitions may have been deleted by whomever installed the illegal OS.

My answer would be to buy a licensed version of Win 7, delete all, then clean install.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 22 July 2014 - 12:07 PM.

#6 alexmark

alexmark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:27 PM

ive downloaded a ISO of windows 7 ultimate and then i burned it on to a dvd, i plan on putting in the disk before i wipe my hard drive and checking to see if my product key works or not but i read somewhere that putting in an OS installation disk while already running an OS could cause problems but i assume thats only if its fully downloaded over another OS.. will any problems occur if i just putting the dvd so it runs and i get to the part where i need to put in my product key  and if it does work i just cancel and prepare to wipe my harddrive?

also in my other topic nothing they mentioned worked and uninstalling was the only option so are there any specific steps i need to take to make sure nothing that couldve caused this problem remains when i reinstall my new OS  or will a basic restore to factory settings work?

#7 alexmark

alexmark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:04 PM

about to do what i listed above  could somone confirm for me whether or not running the installation disk before wiping my harddrive will do any harm and if i need to completley wipe my hard drive or just restore it to factory settings

#8 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:00 AM

You can erase the disk or leave stuff intact when you boot from the installation disk . It's your choice.  Do you currently have windows ultimate on your computer - is there a sticker with a key code on your computer? 

#9 Go The Power

Go The Power

• BC Advisor
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:15 AM

Hello,

The easiest way to check if a OS is legit is by using MGADiag

• Download MGADiag (by Microsoft) from the link found below:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

• Run the tool by double-clicking on the file. Press Continue when prompted
  • When it has finished, press Copy then Paste (Ctrl+V) this into your next post please

If the computer was origonally shipped with Vista then booting from the Recovery should be Vista (unless it was wipped when Windows 7 was installed)

Do you have a COA sticker?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Hardware.aspx

If so what is the Version fo windows listed?

#10 alexmark

alexmark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:55 PM

I've had a ton of problems with my laptop and I plan on restoring it to factory settings to get rid of everything and start over but im having trouble actualy doing it ,
I googled how to do it for my specific computer, asus g51 vx and i got this
http://support.asus.com/Troubleshooting/detail.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=G51VX&s=191&hashedid=0rtKwgmuen69jiqw&os=&no=1775
 the first method i tried pressing f9 multiple times during start up but nothing came up
and the second method i looked through my programs and couldnt find ai recovery burner i checked online to see if i could download the program i was missing but wasnt sure if the sites were legit since it wasnt on the official website
i was thinking of using ccleaner's hard drive wipe tool but i figured not to incase it wipes files that are required for starting up
anyone got any suggestions on how to restore my system
Thanks ahead of time for any responses

Edited by Queen-Evie, 25 July 2014 - 10:55 PM.
this post and the 2 following it were a different topic which was merged with this one since the 2nd topic was about the same computer

#11 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:44 PM

Is this the same Asus as the one being discussed in your topic here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/541716/re-installing-my-os-question/

Edited by Queen-Evie, 25 July 2014 - 10:56 PM.
ignore link, it leads back to this topic after topic merger

#12 alexmark

alexmark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:47 PM

Is this the same Asus as the one being discussed in your topic here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/541716/re-installing-my-os-question/

yup, i already installed my OS but i figured it would wipe my hard drive before it installed the new os it just archived it so i plan on wiping everything then installing it again

#13 alexmark

alexmark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:50 PM

ive looked more in to my computer and it seems i dont have a recovery partition and completley wiping my hard drive is sounding more and more like the easiest way to go but im worried if i do this then just put windows will it not be able to run since its missing certain drivers/ files if so, would manually saving these files and loading them after my hard drive is wiped be a solution?

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,683 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:15 PM

Here is the driver page for you laptop. Select your OS in the dropdown box. As you can see there are multiple drivers for things like audio or wireless. You will need to check your Device Manager for the correct driver to download.

#15 alexmark

alexmark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:25 PM

Here is the driver page for you laptop. Select your OS in the dropdown box. As you can see there are multiple drivers for things like audio or wireless. You will need to check your Device Manager for the correct driver to download.

alright ill download all the drivers that i need from this page and put it on a usb for afterwards , think ill need any other crucial files?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users