Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 buccaneeruk

buccaneeruk

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 31 May 2006 - 04:45 PM

Hi Shipmates
Here is my first question:

I am using WinXP home 2nd edition as my O/system
avg anti virus
Mcafee Personal Firewall
Spybot search and destroy
Adaware se personal
Windows defender
CCcleaner

I have used all these and cleared any probs! My problem is this....when I try to open any file in my C and D drive I get a window saying this has to close and a report will be sent to M$ I click this and the explorer closes it self ......I now have a prob where when trying to open a file in either of my h/drives I am being directed to the search window straight away geeeeez! At this point I just feel like formatting my drives and reinstalling my O/S which is legal by the way!

Has any one any advice ?

Thanks and if you need any more info or a Hijackthis report please let me know!
Kind Regards
Bucc :thumbsup:
ps I did a trend micro on line scan yesterday and it only found a few grey ware probs

Edited by buccaneeruk, 31 May 2006 - 04:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 31 May 2006 - 04:59 PM

Sounds like something is wrong - probably in the registry.

Have you tried going to safe mode and using "Last Known Good Configuration"? If you haven't, give it a try.

If that doesn't cure your problems and you have the Windows XP installation disk:

Go to Start...then choose Run...type in "sfc.exe /scannow" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

You will need your XP Installation CD.
Once it's done, go to Windows Update to ensure that you have the latest hotfixes and updates installed. (sfc.exe replaces system files when it runs)

The next choice would be to do an in-place repair install if the above do not produce satisfactory results.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:47 PM

NOTE: This is a registry edit. If you're not familiar with working in the registry,
DO NOT ATTEMPT.
Improper changes to the registry could render your computer inoperable.
Remember to backup the registry before making any changes.
Instructions, on how to do that, can be found here:
How to back up, edit, and restore the registry

kellys-korner
Search Opens When Double Clicking A Folder - #18, on the Right

Edited by tg1911, 31 May 2006 - 09:52 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 buccaneeruk

buccaneeruk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 11:21 AM

Hey Enthusiast
This new pc of mine had windows pre installed and I didnt have a disc so dont know what to do in that instance! Could you come back to me on this please?

Hi tg1911
I have just a normal knowhow about the registry so dont know if I would be good enough to look at this prob....any other ideas?

Regards
Bucc

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 01 June 2006 - 11:46 AM

Did you try "last known good configuration"?

What make and model computer do you have?

Some brands have restore partitions on their hard drives, and if yours does you may be able to burn a disk using it, or use it to repair your system files if it has the capability -some do.

I would try tg1911's suggestion.
Backing up the registry sounds harder than it is and the fix at Kelly's is not complicated either.

I would still look into whether or not you have a restore partition and can make a restore disk though because even if you don't need it now, you might in the future when it's too late to make one.

Either that or contact support at the computer manufacturer and obtain the set of Restore Disks for your computer.

#6 buccaneeruk

buccaneeruk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 01:04 PM

Hey Shipmates
Sorry I havent been back till now but ended up doing a clean instal which took me longer than I thought!
Many thanks for all the help!!!
I am grateful!!
Regards
Bucc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users