Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

used laptop 4 different OS

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jo-nathan

Jo-nathan

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:05 PM

Folks, newbie here reaching for help! 

Been working w/Windows for too long and want to try something new.  Bought a used laptop w/Win 7 already installed.  Need to expunge it. 

1)  Do I get rid of existing Win. by reformatting hard drive?

2)  If so, what are the procedures?

3)  After reformat I want to install Ubuntu.  Think I saved correctly onto USB.  Is it as simple as plugging into reformatted laptop and following instructions for loading Ubuntu as only OS?

4)  If not, what's the best route?

Thanks for your time!

I look forward to reading your advice.

Jonathan

Edited by hamluis, 21 July 2014 - 01:45 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Linux - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Echokrush

Echokrush

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:31 PM

Since you said you have Ubuntu on a USB drive, you could actually format the drive from there. Ubuntu has an install guide for this. I, too, a few years ago, did the same thing to my laptop.

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:44 PM

:welcome:  To BC.

1)  Do I get rid of existing Win. by reformatting hard drive?

2)  If so, what are the procedures?

3)  After reformat I want to install Ubuntu.  Think I saved correctly onto USB.  Is it as simple as plugging into reformatted laptop and following instructions for loading Ubuntu as only OS?

4)  If not, what's the best route?

1 Set you PC to boot from the USB stick. If you did it all right your PC will boot into ubuntu.

2 When your PC boots into Ubuntu, Select install .

3 Follow the prompts, When asked, Hit the replace Xp with Ubuntu option.

4 Ubuntu will do the rest.

5 Make sure any printers or scanners are plugged in before installing, Also it is a good idea to be online during install, As this will also update Linux, select the install extra packages box.

6 Bah Watch the video. He explains it well.

Thanks to Jay LaCroix

http://youtu.be/i_4Kh5kE3xA

Once you are done reply here and we can guide you with setting it up.

Edited by NickAu1, 20 July 2014 - 07:36 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#4 Jo-nathan

Jo-nathan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:40 PM

I was ecstatic when I watched it boot up, but then found nothing to be operable; icons, header links, nothing. 

The computer I am working with is, as I was told, a used 2004 Win. laptop.  The installation procedure was saved onto my USB from another laptop that runs Win. 7.

Did I miss something, or is the used laptop no good?

Jonathan

#5 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:40 PM

A 2004 laptop is unlikely to be able to run any of the latest versions of the major Linux OSs, as the graphics won't be up to the job.

I found that my old laptop which is around the same age as yours wouldn't run Ubuntu 12.04, but it runs Kubuntu 12.04 just fine, and I much prefer Kubuntu to Ubuntu anyway.

I was also told that since Kubuntu 12.04 works, Xubuntu 12.04 might work as well.

All of the above are supported until some time next year.

Another LTS (long term supported) OS that might work is Mint 13, which as far as I recall is supported until 2017. (MATE edition would be more likely to work than Cinnamon)

Edited by Al1000, 24 July 2014 - 03:48 PM.

#6 Snackers

Snackers

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:06 PM

Xubuntu works and Lubuntu will work for older machines they are essentially lightweight DE's that will suite your needs fine. However, if you want to try another course of OS's for your older machine might I suggest CrunchBang or PuppyLinux both are lightweight usable and provide basic needs for most users. If you want a list of other distro's to try look at DistroWatch it list almost all known kinds of distros.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users