Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot record system audio - Will an external sound card help?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 glassgreen

glassgreen

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:42 PM

I have a Dell inspiron running on Windows XP.

I can hear sound coming out of my speakers as well as my headphone jack.

But I am unable to capture system audio while using Camtasia Studio 8. According to the Tech Smith Knowledge Base it's likely that my sound card is not capable of recording system audio.

Can anyone tell me if an external sound card will enable this and/or what specs to look for in an external sound card that will enable me to record system audio?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,650 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:13 PM

It may just be hiding. You are looking for something called Stereo Mix in the recording section.

Double Click the speaker icon in the system tray.  Click Options > Properties. Make sure Advanced Controls is also checked. Click the Recording button. In the Volume Controls should be Stereo Mix. Put a check next to it and press Okay. Then put a check at the bottom of the slider to activate Stereo Mix. You would set Stereo Mix to the recording device inside Camtasia.

#3 glassgreen

glassgreen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:13 PM

Thanks, JohnC, I'm closer. After making your changes I am able to record as long as I don't have my headset plugged in. I'm trying to record online meetings and I use a headset with a microphone. Using the built-in mic instead of the headset is not an option, because when using the built-in mic there can be a lot of feedback, not to mention background noise is picked up. Any other ideas? Thanks!

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,650 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:25 PM

See if this works for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0lljBC8JyU

#5 glassgreen

glassgreen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:12 AM

Thanks, but I still can't record while I have my headset plugged in.

I really don't mind getting an external sound card, if that will resolve the issue. Any info/suggestions on specs and usage is appreciated.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,650 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:27 AM

Sorry, I don't have enough experience with external sound boxes to make a recommendation. Hopefully, other people can recommend something that they have had experience with. In the mean time, I will continue to look for a solution. Is this a USB headset or one that uses jacks?

Edit follow the video to enable Mic in Playback. Then see if you can enable both speaker and mic in Camtasia as shown here.

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 July 2014 - 09:50 AM.

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,760 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:26 PM

When you plug in the ear phones it cuts the speakers off, look in back to see if you have some extra speaker out puts.  Try plugging the head phones in various ones, good chance you may end up with just sound in one ear!!!!!

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#8 glassgreen

glassgreen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:31 PM

Thanks everyone. My headset is a USB device. I looked at John C's link. I'm familiar with that link. I don't even have an Audio tab! I have used the patching cable workaround, which works fine if you don't have to hear what you're recording. But I am participating in conference calls that I want to record so I have to hear what's going on. I think I am going to take a chance and buy an external sounds card and I'll report back on how it goes. Thanks again.

Edited by glassgreen, 26 July 2014 - 07:36 PM.

#9 glassgreen

glassgreen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:33 PM

OldPhil is on to something. I did some testing recording some videos on YouTube.

1. When I unplug my USB headset I am able to record system audio with Stereo Mix selected.

2. I tried plugging my headset into a different USB port and recording and it didn't work.

3. I then plugged in a regular headphones and could record system audio - however the system did not record me speaking into the built-in microphone.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,650 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:17 AM

Instead of using a USB headset, I believe you would have better luck using a headset with separate speaker and mic jacks.

#11 glassgreen

glassgreen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:12 PM

That's what I am going to try. I've ordered an external mic that connects via a jack. So I'll see how that works and will report back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users