Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezing up at random and frequent intervals

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 IAmSupernova5891

IAmSupernova5891

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:26 PM

I built a computer a few months back and now I'm having a problem where it will momentarily freeze up at random and frequent intervals (every 30-60 seconds) and will stay that way for 20 seconds to a minute. Safe mode helps but does not eliminate the problem. I've tried scanning for virus/malware but didn't find anything. I've tried playing with the RAM and testing each stick individually but that didn't solve the problem either. I've also noticed that occasionally the LED on my CPU fan will blink off very briefly though it does not seem to coincide with the freezing. The more stress I put on it, the more frequent and longer it locks up for.

I also woke up to blue screen of death and this was the codes it had up:

0x000000F4, 0x0000000000000003, 0xFFFFFA800b9639D0, 0xFFFFFA80B963CB0, 0xFFFFF80002F7A7B0

It's windows 7, Core i7, 12GB DDR3 RAM, Radeon x9 270, I think the motherboard was the ASUS Maximus VII Hero, not sure what PSU it was.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:25 PM

Microsoft has a hotfix for this problem here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2675806

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:39 PM

Down load speed fan so you can check temps!  Also post system specs.

Edited by OldPhil, 20 July 2014 - 04:46 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:15 AM

Test wpgwpg's solution first, as a hotfix, and if this doesn't work, perhaps you could try reinstalling Windows? If the problem still continues, then you have a hardware problem, and we can go from there.

If can, you can try and run a Speccy scan, and we can have a look with whether this is a software/hardware problem.

Download Speccy: https://www.piriform.com/speccy/download

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

mYIGVc5.png

#5 iamsupernova

iamsupernova

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:22 AM

I can't try his fix, I've been trying. I can no longer get my computer to start at all in normal mode (it just freezes), cannot get it to start in safe mode (while loading drivers it just turns off and restarts). When I did have it in safe mode and tried to install the hotfix it told me that it could not be installed in safe mode. I tried to use my windows disc to repair windows and it told me that it wasn't compatible. I am now trying to just reinstall windows, and it won't even let me do that. It just hangs at  "Setup is starting". I cannot figure out what to do.

#6 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:42 AM

0x000000F4, is a dead HDD. It means you're having a HDD or drive controller issue. It is also possible that you have corrupted drives; however, it's very hard to determine it now.

If you try and boot into safe mode, and it loads the list of drivers, which one does it stop at? Can you note it down?

mYIGVc5.png

#7 iamsupernova

iamsupernova

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:20 AM

/windows/sytem32/drivers/avgidsha.sys

It never gets passed it anymore (was able to start in safe mode relatively fine before) just freezes there and eventually crashes and restarts taking me back to the start normally or run start up repair manual. Neither of which are possible. The repair thing locks up just as bad as starting windows normally.

#8 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:52 AM

I have a feeling you have AVG installed, and it may be the issue.

Try this:

Boot from the windows installation disk, but choose command prompt, like this: http://www.sevenforums.com/attachments/tutorials/1014d1227515785-command-prompt-startup-command.jpg

To use command prompt (type these in exactly before pressing enter and entering the next command):

cd \

cd Windows\System32\drivers

REN "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\avgidsha.sys" "test.sys"

If this is the true cause, your computer should boot fine after this, I would suggest a full re-installation of windows.

Edited by Ezzah, 21 July 2014 - 03:52 AM.

mYIGVc5.png

#9 iamsupernova

iamsupernova

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:22 AM

Everytime I try to go to the repair options on the cd it freezes before I get to the options shown on that picture. And nothing ever comes up. I can move the cursor around and stuff, but nothing is loading. The light indicating it's reading the disc will be on for a minute and then it just stops and won't start again. It goes through the loading files screen and then the starting windows screen. It brings up a colored background (similar to but not the same as the one in that pic) and asks me to select my language and what not. After that is a screen where I can install now and down at the bottom can click "repair your computer". Once I click repair it will show the spinning loading icon on the cursor and the drive will spin up, and go for a minute, then the loading icon goes away and the disc stops spinning, then nothing else happens even if I leave it up for like 20 minutes.

Edited by iamsupernova, 21 July 2014 - 12:09 PM.

#10 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:51 AM

If you can't boot from a CD, you have a hardware problem.  I'd start with checking the RAM, but since we still don't know your configuration, I can't be more specific.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#11 iamsupernova

iamsupernova

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:36 PM

I posted what specs I could think of off the top of my head at the end of the first post. What other specs do you need? I'm going to find out if it's a problem with my harddrive or something else. I have the hdd from my old computer and I'm getting what old files i can off it and am going to put it in my new computer and try to install windows on it. I figure if that works, then the HDD is the problem, if it's something else I should still run into the same problems.

Side question. If I get a hdd enclosure can I get the files off my hdd that's in there now? or would I still run into the same problems?

#12 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:48 PM

Since you have 12 GB of RAM, I will assume you have more than one DIMM.  If that's the case, I'd try removing one of them at a time and see if possibly one of them is causing your problem. 

Re your question about removing the hard drive and putting it in an enclosure, I'd think you have a good chance that would work, assuming the drive is in decent shape.

When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $60 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus Todo Backup Free.  That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Good luck.

Good luck.

#13 iamsupernova

iamsupernova

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:31 PM

Yeah I've already tried playing with the RAM, was actually one of the first things I tried. Unless all 3 sticks went bad at the same time, it's not the RAM.

#14 iamsupernova

iamsupernova

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:32 PM

Looks like it's the HDD.. Putting in the new (old) one and installing Windows on it is going without a hitch. No lag or freezing, went straight to installing. Ugh.. It's only 3 months old. Hopefully an enclosure will let it limp around long enough for me to get all my files off of it. Or is there a way I could just hook it up to my computer as a secondary drive and access it that way? Have tried to do that once before and I coudln't figure it out. Was a long time ago though so I dunno if things have changed.

I really do need to get an external HDD.. If I lose everything again, it will be the second time in the last few years and I have a lot of stuff. Will take me weeks to get most of it back, and some will just be gone forever.

#15 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:02 PM

You should have no issues putting the drive i, I am sure the cables are there.  Being as it has an OS on it it must be setup as a slave It should have jumper settings on its label.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users