Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Optimizer Pro - Should I worry?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 HelpSpietz

HelpSpietz

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:04 PM

I downloaded OpenOffice on my new Windows 8.1 machine. It took ages to install and was only about halfwy through when PC Optimizer Pro screen showed up, giving details of many problems it had uncovered on my machine.

I have never knowingly downloaded this Software so was suspicious, assuming that it had somehow downloaded with OpenOffice.

After researching the program on the internet, there seems to be conflicting information on whether or not it is (potentially) harmful.

There are also numerous posts on how to get rid of it.

Advice on this site recommends that each case should be dealt with individually, thus this post.

I'd like to delete the Software as I don't want unecessary things running.

Please can you advise whether this can be done simply by deleting the program in the normal manner or whether I need to follow some more complicated proceedure.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,058 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:51 PM

You have unwanted programs on your computer system that should be removed. I recommend using the following program to do this because it is good at removing any stray remnants that uninstallers often leave behind. 1. Please download REVO UNINSTALLER and save it on your computer. 2. Install Revo Uninstaller on your computer system. 3. Once the program is installed start the program and insure the uninstaller tab is active. (See image below) revo-main-menu.png Icons from all your installed programs will appear alphabetically in the main window. 4. Right click the program you wish to uninstall by selecting the program's icon in the main window. A menu will appear such as that shown below. revo-uninstall.png 5. Next, choose Uninstall from this menu. A confirmation from the program you wish to uninstall will appear on your screen, such as the one shown in the image below. 6. Please choose YES that you wish to uninstall the program. revo-confirm.png By default, Revo Uninstaller will be set to Moderate uninstall Mode. Please change it to Advanced by clicking the radio button near Advanced as shown below and then click the NEXT button. revo-advanced1.png 7. Next, you will see this screen where a system restore back up is made. uninstall-1.png The program's built in uninstaller will appear on screen, confirm removal and the uninstall procedure will begin. confirm.png The program you uninstalled will confirm it has been uninstalled and may ask for user feedback as shown below. It is really your choice if you wish to take the time to answer their survey, however it is not important if you do or not and you can skip it by clicking NO uninstall-complete.png If you are told to reboot to complete the uninstall, choose NO! We still have other things we need to remove from your computer using Revo Uninstaller's other features. 8. Once the program has been successfully uninstalled, click the NEXT button. next-button.png Revo Uninstaller will scan your computer for leftover information, files and registry entries. leftover-info.png If any registry entries are found, Revo Uninstaller will list those in BOLD text as shown below. leftover-registry.png It is safe to remove those entries as they are often only associated with the program you have just removed from your computer system. 9. Look for the Select All button and click it. All the BOLD entries should now be checked off like shown in the image below. select-all.png Look for the DELETE button and click it. When asked to confirm the deletion, click YES confirm-delete-registry.png When finished click the Next button. Revo may confirm the uninstall is complete and offer a FINISH button. This means the program has been successfully uninstalled and no further action is needed. If however, any leftover files and folders are found those will be presented. If you want to get rid of them click Select All then Delete. This will remove those and send them to your RECYCLE BIN. You can then either retrieve them or clean your recycle bin permanently removing them from your computer system. revo5.png You can use Revo Uninstaller to remove other unwanted programs from your computer by performing the above procedures for each one.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 HelpSpietz

HelpSpietz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:20 AM

Hi,

Thanks for your resply. I installed revo-uninstaller. This resulted in a very strange screen with lots of partially overlaid flashing and jumping warnings pop-up boxes warning me a all sorts of terrible things which were about to happen to my computer. Unfortunately  I am new to Windows and don't know how to do a screen capture, so details are not available. I closed the window.

I can now see the Revo uninstaller window as shown in your response above, but PC Optimizer Pro does not appear  in the list of programs (nor do several other programs which I know are installed and run, so I am confused.

Where do I go from here?

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,058 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:57 AM

Ok, run these then...

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.
Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  • Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
  • Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.
    Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

Download TDSSKiller and save it to your desktop.
  • Extract (unzip) its contents to your desktop.
  • Open the TDSSKiller folder and doubleclick on TDSSKiller.exe to run the application, then on Start Scan.
  • If an infected file is detected, the default action will be Cure, click on Continue.
  • If a suspicious file is detected, the default action will be Skip, click on Continue.
  • It may ask you to reboot the computer to complete the process. Click on Reboot Now.
  • If no reboot is require, click on Report. A log file should appear. Please copy and paste the contents of that file here.
  • If a reboot is required, the report can also be found in your root directory (usually C:\ folder) in the form of TDSSKiller_xxxx_log.txt. Please copy and paste the contents of that file here.
    ADW Cleaner

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop.
  • Double-click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
    Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.
  • After the scan has finished, click on the Report button...a logfile (AdwCleaner[R0].txt) will open in Notepad for review.
  • After reviewing the log, click on the Clean button.
  • Press OK when asked to close all programs and follow the onscreen prompts.
  • Press OK again to allow AdwCleaner to restart the computer and complete the removal process.
  • After rebooting, a logfile report (AdwCleaner[S0].txt) will open automatically.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.
  • A copy of all logfiles are saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder which was created when running the tool.
  • -- Note: The contents of the AdwCleaner log file may be confusing. Unless you see a program name that you recognize and know should not be removed, don't worry about it. If you see an entry you want to keep, return to AdwCleaner before cleaning...all detected items will be listed (and checked) in each tab. Click on each one and uncheck any items you want to keep (except you cannot uncheck Chrome and Firefox preferences lines).

thisisujrt.gif Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.
  • Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message.
  • Last run ESET.
  • Hold down Control and click on this link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
  • Click the esetonlinebtn.png button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
  • Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the esetsmartinstaller_enu.png icon on your desktop.
  • Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
  • Click the Start button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and "Remove found threats"
  • Click Advanced settings and select the following:
  • Scan potentially unwanted applications
  • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
  • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, click List Threats
  • Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Click the Back button.
  • Click the Finish button.
  • NOTE:Sometimes if ESET finds no infections it will not create a log.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 HelpSpietz

HelpSpietz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:18 PM

I've downloaded minitoolbox. I tried to run it from my downloads folder and got a popup saying 'Windows protected your PC' 'Windows smartscreen prevented an unrecognised application from starting. Running this application might put your PC at risk.' The reason given was 'Publisher: Unknown'

Should I run this anyway or was there a problem with the download?

Edited by HelpSpietz, 21 July 2014 - 04:31 PM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:33 PM

BleepingComputer is a safe, trustworthy and well respected web-site.

Most of the well known specialized tools we use as malware fighters are written by experts/Security Colleagues at various security forums like Bleeping Computer, TechSupport, GeeksToGo, SypwareInfo and other similar sites so they can be trusted...this includes any program hosted by BC for download.

Rest assured our Security Colleagues are trustworthy and all the programs hosted for downloading here at BleepingComputer are perfectly safe to use.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 HelpSpietz

HelpSpietz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:15 AM

Thanks for that confirmation. I have now run through the process and the relevant logs are copied below

I've cleared the data - don't want it left lying around!

Many thanks for your assistance thus far

Edited by HelpSpietz, 22 July 2014 - 04:20 PM.

#8 Wesker1984

Wesker1984

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:11 PM

Personally I'd go with Malwarebytes Antimalware:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/

It has a free version which roots out the nasty 'ware' and properly quarantines it, or there is the premium version which also proactively protects you from infection in the first place. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Or you could get rid manually, which depending on just how many infections you have can be a (very) time consuming process. use the Task Manager, msconfig.exe (right click start and click run, type msconfig), Computer Management in the Services tab and the Registry Editor (regedit) to find the location of anything that doesn't look right. Google the names if you're not sure to do some research and manually delete the offending programs and their registry entries. A word of warning about regedit, whenever you access it you should ALWAYS BACK UP THE CURRENT REGISTRY as one wrong move can break your installation of Windows, and before anything back up all your private data just in case.

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,058 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:26 PM

Ok, can you run JRT and ESET now?

#10 HelpSpietz

HelpSpietz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:15 PM

Trying to download JRT, but not getting any response from the site

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:18 PM

Try again. I encountered a issue with the site too but it appears to be ok now.

#12 HelpSpietz

HelpSpietz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:58 PM

Been trying for a good half hour now - still just hangs.

Is there another programme I could use, or do I just need to persevere with trying to download this one?

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:01 PM

Majorgeeks JRT (Junkware Removal Tool) download

#14 HelpSpietz

HelpSpietz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:57 PM

Can't download from there either!

I also tried downloading via my Mac, thinking I could then transfer the file to the Windows machine, but that also hung with an 'Inactive script' mesage

#15 HelpSpietz

HelpSpietz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:04 AM

Still can't download JRT from either site. Download just hangs.

As a test, I tried to download  REVO UNINSTALLER again. This programme downloaded OK previously, but now it also just hangs.

I am wondering whether one of the processes which I ran is the cause of this.

I'd like to reboot my laptop, and see whether this fixes the problem, but I don't want to do that without first checking with you.

Please let me know how you think I should proceed.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users