Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

British Metropolitan Police virus

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bayster912

bayster912

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:18 PM

I've got this stupid malware which takes over my PC saying that I have to pay money to do with the British Metropolitan Police and Interpol. I've looked online and various sites advise opening in safe mode but when I try to open in safe mode, I get so far and then the PC closes down and re-opens normally. I can't run existing antivirus scans or download new software as there isn't time before the malware kicks in. Can anyone give me any advice? I'm running Windows XP. Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 20 July 2014 - 01:32 PM.
No logs, moved from MRL to AII - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:57 PM

How long does it take before the virus kicks in? 

Can you open a command prompt and get these codes in prior?

Lets try from safe mode with command prompt to create a new user.  

How to start Windows in Safe Mode or Safe Mode with ...

In safe mode with command prompt.....Type the following commands,  hitting enter after each.

net user test /add
net localgroup administrators test /add
shutdown -r

After the machine reboots then see if you have a new user named test.

If you are unable to use safemode with command prompt try these commands in normal mode.  Hit the start button quickly then type CMD in the Run box hit enter then enter the commands hit enter.

Or from another machine open notepad and and copy and paste the content of the quote box below.

net user test /add
net localgroup administrators test /add
shutdown -r

Save it to your desktop as admin.bat

Then move the admin.bat to your xp machine and execute it prior to the virus activating if possible. :)

Let me know if you are able to get the new profile created. 

Edited by Lazerchicken, 20 July 2014 - 05:00 PM.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,078 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:58 PM

Have you tried using our Removal Guide ?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users