Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shockwave Games and Open Candy?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nomadsam

nomadsam

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:52 PM

I am not sure if this is the correct place, so please redirect me if I'm wrong.

I download games from Shockwave from time to time, both for myself and my kids...being doing this for YEARS.  Never had any problems and when the games are "done" I usually uninstall them, etc.

My AVG recently updated and now I can't download games because of Open Candy.  What's strange is that I can play games already downloaded but cannot download any new ones...at all.  

Someone suggested turning off my Virus protection (AVG) to download and during play, but I wanted some opinions before doing that.  I fear I am going to have just tell the kids no more Shockwave games downloads.  Anyone have any input on this?

Thanks!

Edited by hamluis, 20 July 2014 - 01:40 PM.
Moved from Computer Gaming to Open Candy - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:10 PM

I would suggest You go here and read the information. Open Candy is a so so program IMO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenCandy

OpenCandy from SweetLabs, Inc.,[1] a company based in San Diego, is an advertising software module consisting of a Microsoft Windows library that can be incorporated in a Windows Installer. When a user installs an application that has the OpenCandy library, there is an option to install additional software that it recommends (based on a scan of the user's system and geolocation)

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:16 PM

P.S. I have installed Software that has Open Candy in its installer. I was very careful to make sure none of the extra junk was installed too. You should have a place in AVG to exclude Open Candy so that it can be downloaded. I am afraid I can not be more helpful as I use a different AntiVirus software.

The problem with allowing Open Candy is You could end up with a machine loaded with PUPS, Potentially Unwanted Programs.

To exclude try this

http://www.avg.com/ww-en/faq.num-5187

Warning! Please read this first.
Warning: Please always make sure that the file or program in question really is absolutely safe!

To exclude a file or folder from the Resident Shield detection:

1. Open your AVG program.
  2. From the Options menu, select Advanced settings.
  3. In the left pane, select Exceptions.
  4. In the right pane, click Add exception.
  5. In the drop-down menu, select exception type - File or Folder.
  6. Browse to the file or folder that you want to exclude.
  7. Select whether you want to apply the exception also for other AVG components.
  8. Click OK to save details of the exception.
  9. Click OK again to save the settings.

Good Luck

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#4 nomadsam

nomadsam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:47 PM

Thank you.  I read the wikipedia entry for Open Candy when this first began and am usually careful about clicking "accept" when other files try to download as well.  

I have tried making an exception in the AVG files but it's not working.  It seems everytime I add an exception the file goes to a new .tmp file.  So I make an exception for OCSEE0D.tmp and then it goes somewhere else the next time.  I tried modifying the exception path (changing it "any location") and it won't allow me to do that.  That's about where my tech knowledge stops.  :(

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:24 PM

I hate to tell You to disable AVG so The next step is to get in contact with them. They should be able help with this problem. I saw some indications that they are using Open Candy too. It isn't when the other programs go to download. What happens is that when You are installing the first piece of desired software You really need to read what You accept carefully. You need for example o always choose custom and not default install. The Default install will usually install PUPs.

One other possibility is talk to the games from Shockwave people and tell them Your problem. There is a possibility that they can get the problem resolved working with AVG from their end.

As I say just be careful with the open candy installer add-on.

Good Luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users