Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem booting a cloned HD of Vista Ultimate SP2 on new machine

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Vita2112

Vita2112

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:17 PM

Hi Everyone! This is my 1st post here. Did a search on computer help and heard great things about this forum. 

My fiance's old dell was on it's last leg and she had a very important program on it for her home based business (medical billing). This program could not be re-installed without paying an arm and a leg. So I cloned the Hard Drive which had Vista Ultimate SP2 (64 bit) on it to a bigger 1 terabyte drive and bought her a newer refurbished HP system. I then took out the HD in the new system which had Windows 7 (32 bit) on it and installed the cloned drive and no boot.. but does boot in the old machine so the clone was successful. I was able to get into the Bios on the new machine and change some settings and now I can at least get to the Vista Splash screen to enter her password but have no use of the keyboard & mouse? Strange. The keyboard does work in the bios but not when Vista starts and get's to the Splash screen. There is no settings in the bios for usb, legacy,ect. So basically.. the MB on the new computer is not playing well with this cloned version of Vista. Tried all the usb inputs so it's not a usb 2..3 thing. And again the keyboard works fine in the bios. Is this a driver issue? Why is this mother board not communicating with this cloned Vista? Do I need to install some driver in Vista?

Thank you so much for any advice!

Doug

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Vita2112

Vita2112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:24 PM

Starting to wonder if I should set her Vista to have no password in the old machine and then re-clone. Then at least I could get into the OS. But.. I still might not have a any key or mouse function? Hmmm.. 

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:38 PM

You haven't posted the program name, but I can't imagine her not being able to reinstall this if she paid for this program and has the license.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:42 PM

You cannot take a hard drive reflecting Vista...from System/motherboard A and expect it to work properly with System/motherboard B...unless all the components are exactly the same.  Different drivers, different settings apply to whatever is on the old hard drive...it can only work properly on the old system.

Somewhat related topic at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/442511/cant-move-vista-to-new-motherboard-old-one-dead/ .

Louis

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:48 PM

There is another way to go about this.  You can remove the identifiers from windows in the old computer, then install it in the new computer and clone it from there to use on the new hdd.

If you run sysprep on the hdd with Windows before moving it you should be be able to move it and boot from it on the other computer. You want to remove all hardware identifiers from the hdd, this generalizes the drive.

Click on the Start orb, then type cmd in the Search box.

cmd will appear under Programs above the search box, right click on it and choose Run as administrator.

This will open the Elevated Command Prompt.

In the Elevated Command Prompt type in CD C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep, then 
use the command: "sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown"
Don't power the drive back on until it's in the other computer.
Note: You'll want to install matching chipset drivers, video drivers, etc.. after moving the drive.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,281 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:55 PM

I am not sure if you could activate the Vista OS from the Dell on the new computer as I believe it is an OEM. You would need to call Microsoft, explain the problem, and hopefuly they will activate the Vista install on the HP. If Vista was a retail copy, then there would not be a problem.

#7 Vita2112

Vita2112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:43 PM

Hey thanx so much for your replies!

I would like to try Arachibutyrophobia's option. Sir.. when you say to type CD C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep and use the command "sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown"  

Would I type that all together and hit enter or type them both separate and hit enter?

Louis.. I may try the repair from disk option if this does not pan out. I believe it may install the proper drivers, ect. in the new system.

Not worried about OEM as it is an exact clone and should be fine as I've cloned many hard drives before but used them in the same system.

Thanx so much again!

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:58 PM

I need to apologize for being thick today.  I'm in a fair amount of pain and I'm not thinking as clearly as I usually do.  I knew what Louis and JohnC_21 were suggesting, but it just didn't perk through to the surface for me today.

There is a snag here which JohnC_21 has pointed out.  This is an OEM version.  The identifiers I was referring to are what Microsoft uses to make sure that the installation or reinstallation of a OEM Windows operating system is on the same motherboard.  Technically you can change any parts in your computer without involving Microsoft, except the motherboard.  If it isn't the same or direct replacement for the old motherboard they could tell you that it cannot be activated.

This is the snag... what you want to do is technically illegal and I can't help you with this.

One of the Forum rules states the following.

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

Edited by dc3, 20 July 2014 - 02:02 PM.

#9 Vita2112

Vita2112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:32 PM

I have a product key for this Windows Vista which was bought through Dell. I just wanted to move it to a new system (same owner)

So.. I guess my next question would be as I do believe the motherboard is the problem on the old system. Could I just find a motherboard of the same.. and use it on the old machine? Currently the new hard drive with the cloned legal copy of Vista is working on the old computer. but the MB is showing low disk space and running slow and I know the hard drive has plenty of space.

Thanks so much!

#10 Vita2112

Vita2112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:34 PM

The whole problem is this medical billing software has so much patient information in it and to call and get a new version would be a daunting task and they charge for it.

She may be stuck using the old system so I just wondering what I can do to at least make it usable.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:41 PM

Why can't you just transfer the program and the files to the other hdd?

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

#12 Vita2112

Vita2112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:09 PM

I tried copying all the programs files over to the (new) computers HD thinking all would be good but it would not work. The problem is the program which has many elements is spread all over her C drive so I don't think I got everything copied. That was the original plan though. Then I tried the clone option but as mentioned the new system is different. I will download Speccy and post the system specs very soon. Thanks again!

#13 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:41 PM

Hi,

If the cloned system is getting to the login screen you are lucky. Boot the machine in Safe Mode, press the F8 key during boot, open the Device Manager, from the View menu enable the option Show Hidden Devices, remove all the ghost devices related to the old hardware.

Restart the computer in normal mode and install the drivers for the new hardware.

The Windows 7 key provided by Dell can't be used on an HP machine.

If the new HP have a Windows 7 key for the same edition you have on the Dell then you can activate windows if not you have to buy a new Windows 7 Retail key that matches your current Windows Edition, to be able to activate Windows on the new machine.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#14 Vita2112

Vita2112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:13 PM

It wasn't getting to the login screen until I changed the HD preferences in the bios. Now Vista boots on the new computer to the login splash screen but no keyboard or mouse function to sign in. Thank you so much for the above info. I will try and boot in safe mode while holding F8 and see if I can get into the device manager.

And.. I did not know I would need to use the product key to activate anything from a cloned HD. It should.. I thought.. just work as normal. Never have I had to re-activate Windows when cloning my drive for backup purposes.. Thanks!

If all else fails I will just buy her the same exact dell computer and slap in the cloned hard drive and be done with it.

#15 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:40 PM

It wasn't getting to the login screen until I changed the HD preferences in the bios. Now Vista boots on the new computer to the login splash screen but no keyboard or mouse function to sign in. Thank you so much for the above info. I will try and boot in safe mode while holding F8 and see if I can get into the device manager.

It's normal that the system will take some time to adjust to the new machine. Mouse and keyboard will take some time to start working specially if you are moving from PS2 devices to USB. Some times USB devices need to be disconnected and reconnected again after the login screen.

And.. I did not know I would need to use the product key to activate anything from a cloned HD. It should.. I thought.. just work as normal. Never have I had to re-activate Windows when cloning my drive for backup purposes.. Thanks!

Backup on the same machine works fine the problem happens because you are moving to different hardware and the OEM key is bounded to the Dell machine. Windows will invalidate the license because the information on the system doesn't match the new hardware.

If all else fails I will just buy her the same exact dell computer and slap in the cloned hard drive and be done with it.

Doing that will be simpler for sure.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users