Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power supply question

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bob8823

bob8823

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:43 AM

How do I tell if my power supply has gone bad.  Tried to boot up this morning and nothing but a black screen.  I can hear the fans in the case running, but the fan in the power supply itself is not running and the top of the computer was pretty warm.

Appreciate any help, thanks.

Bob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:17 PM

Can you boot to Safe Mode?  How old is your power supply?  Power supplies do degrade over time.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 bob8823

bob8823
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:20 PM

Can you boot to Safe Mode?  How old is your power supply?  Power supplies do degrade over time.

No, won't do anything.  It's an old computer, I use it out in my shop so I'm not surprised something went bad, just trying to determine if that's all that's wrong with it.  I'd hate to buy another power supply and find out something else is bad also.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,642 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:41 PM

You can check the PSU with a multimeter but it's not perfect as the best way to check it is if it is under load. Always ground yourself first before trying to remove any cables. See this video. Have a PSU with no fan running will cause the computer to overheat. That fact alone tells me the PSU is probably bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac7YMUcMjbw

#5 bob8823

bob8823
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:43 PM

You can check the PSU with a multimeter but it's not perfect as the best way to check it is if it is under load. Always ground yourself first before trying to remove any cables. See this video. Have a PSU with no fan running will cause the computer to overheat. That fact alone tells me the PSU is probably bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac7YMUcMjbw

Link won't work

#6 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:59 PM

You can get a cheap desktop power supply for as little as $15.  If you think it's time to buy a new computer, I see desktops as cheap as $229.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,642 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:42 PM

Hmm, it works for me. Here it is.

#8 bob8823

bob8823
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:57 PM

Hmm, it works for me. Here it is.

Thanks.

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,757 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:47 PM

If the PSU fan is not running it will get very hot if left on.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#10 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:40 PM

You can check the PSU with a multimeter but it's not perfect as the best way to check it is if it is under load.

You could connect the multimeter to a spare Molex plug without removing and disconnecting the PSU from the PC as shown in the video.  This will at least allow you to test 12v and 5v while the PC is running.

Also things like this are available to simplify testing - http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00001777

Edited by jonuk76, 20 July 2014 - 05:40 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#11 bob8823

bob8823
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:45 PM

You can check the PSU with a multimeter but it's not perfect as the best way to check it is if it is under load.

You could connect the multimeter to a spare Molex plug without removing and disconnecting the PSU from the PC as shown in the video.  This will at least allow you to test 12v and 5v while the PC is running.

Also things like this are available to simplify testing - http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00001777

Not a computer guy so would'nt even know how to do that.  I don't mind buying a power supply if I'm sure this one is bad.  The fan doesn't run and the power supply was very hot this morning when I went to use the computer.

#12 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:05 PM

If fan ain't running, PSU is dead. It's safe to assume that. :) It's possible for a dead fan, but unlikely. Since its old, go for an upgrade.

Edited by Ezzah, 20 July 2014 - 08:06 PM.

mYIGVc5.png

#13 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,757 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:30 PM

Now is the time to contemplate the next move, good chance for you to think about a newer quicker machine.  Some cheap stuff on Ebay, buy from guys with 99+ ratings.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#14 bob8823

bob8823
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:28 PM

Now is the time to contemplate the next move, good chance for you to think about a newer quicker machine.  Some cheap stuff on Ebay, buy from guys with 99+ ratings.

Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it.  I have a new computer in my office, this is my old computer that I use in my shop.  I don't really need it but it is nice to have when I do.  I found a power supply for $25, so I'm going to get that and hope it solves the problem, if not I'll just have to use my laptop in the shop when I need it.  Thanks again for all the help.

Bob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users