Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.exe files aren't opening

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Stormchain

Stormchain

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:34 AM

so out of blue, "Open Program With..." window pops up. i click something and now ALL programs instead of opening give me Acrobat Reader error messages >_>

first thought? lets just go to the properties... but there's no option to change what opens what anymore.

that's gotta be a virus. i go to my antivirus and its... error, Acrobat cannot open this bitdefender.exe

oh kay... i cut the internet connection and boot it in safe mode. same deal, all exes are only tackled by Acrobat.

maybe there's some weird process running, i think? ohh that's right, task manager is also an executable... same goes for cmd.

found bunch of articles suggesting this ultra-removal-tool and that malware-fixer-upper... they all forget that no exe opens. changing them to .com does not execute them, either.

finally figured out to boot pc safe with cmd prompt to try http://windowsxp.mvps.org/exefile.htm but i didn't need to change anything in the values, the were correct

tried to overwrite the regedit file with the correct one from my other pc, but did not have TrustedInstaller permission to do that, nor could i modify to get it

anyway, in short, something happened to the .exe associations. im tired of this puzzle, help out a newbie ._. its w7, dell precission and i had updated bitdefender.

aaand i might even know how i got this >_< http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/10588884/Plague_Inc_Evolved_v0.7.5_%282-click_run%29 wanted to see whether its worth of the money like i always do, sigh. of course, back then there were no warning comments either >_> and yes yes i probably deserve it. and i likely learned the lesson now :D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stormchain

Stormchain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:13 AM

whew, migth have panicked a little too early. .reg files were still functioning right. that set whatever has been wrong straight:

http://www.sevenforums.com/attachments/tutorials/123734d1292473157-default-file-type-associations-restore-default_exe.reg

thanks to whoever migth have wanted to halp <3 antivirus is scanning but isn't really finding anything. might still come back to panic some more if it repeats :D keep up the good work ;]

#3 gavrielx

gavrielx

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:15 AM

hi

download  this app and check the exe and press the "restaurere' button.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users