Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Server 2008 R2 Printer Migration

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chubbs36

chubbs36

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:02 AM

Hi Guys,

This is more of a reassurance than a question but i just want to be 100% sure.

I'm a second line engineer trying to gain exposure into third line and i have been given a small project to migrate some printers from a Windows Server 2008 machine to a Server 2008 R2 machine which is an already established priner server hosting 95% of our printers.

My (possibly silly) question is if i export the printers from the 2008 server can i import them onto the 2008 R2 server without overwriting whats already there.

I have seen printers migrated from scratch but i just wanted to make sure i can add the to whats allready there,

All the drivers x64 and x86 are already in place.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chubbs36

chubbs36
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:42 PM

anyone?

#3 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:45 AM

Yes mate sorry, you should be fine. I have done this many times.

Just export the printers to a older, then copy that (If not on network) to the next server and import.

Just note of the CPU type if different then you would just need to get the latest drivers.

Generally the WIN2008 and WIN2008 R2 are normally the same drivers (WIN2008 being Vista based, WIN2008 R2 being Win7 based as a guide)

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 22 July 2014 - 12:47 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users