Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issues with WiFi connectivity on windows 8.1 pc

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 delijoe

delijoe

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:52 PM

I recently moved and am now using Comcast xfinity WiFi. Every other device except my windows 8.1 PC has had no connection issues. What's happening is that seemingly at random I would just lose the ability to open webpages or access any net content even though it's still connected to the WiFi. I've researched a little bit and already did the following.

Flushed DNS
Reset winsock
Ran malwarebytes antimalware (nothing found)
Reset router
Checked hosts file (only localhost listed)
Cleared any proxy settings

I'm still only getting connection sometimes (sometimes it works after flushing DNS sometimes not)

It seems to me like it's some kind of malware maybe but I can't pin it down. Any help would be appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:01 AM

delijoe, Welcome to BC Forums! :)

Open the Device Manager from the Control Panel & look at your Network Connections (your adapters). If there's any missing drivers, you'll see a question mark or exclamation point. If so, you'll need to plug your computer into an Ethernet point & right click onto the item in question & select "Update Driver Software" (or similar wording). 

A Speccy snapshot of the computer would be good to have also. That will be a starting point for us to go on. 

• Go to Piriform's website, and click the big download.png button.

• Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.

• You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

• After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

• Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
    p22004369.gif
  • Now, at the top, click File Publish Snapshot
  • You will see the following prompt:
    p22004371.gif
  • Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
    p22004372.gif
  • Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.
  • Congrats! You have just posted your specs!

Please post back with this information & we'll do our best to see what's going on. 

All the Best,

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 delijoe

delijoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:17 AM

No issues with drivers.

Here's the speccy snapshot

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/TtJXABZNdHCspwN8beYiuik

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:41 AM

I see what I believe to be part of your issues & this has been frequent as of late.  . RangeMax Wireless-N USB Adapter WN111v2

That USB adapter you're using, many members has reported problems with these & many brands, on many different OS's. 

Where did you obtain the driver software for this device? 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 delijoe

delijoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:44 AM

I was just using it plug and play. I also used a belkin n600 adapter that has the same problem (although the rangemax seems to keep connection for longer). I tried updating drivers to no avail.

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:02 AM

That means the device is unlikely going to work on your computer. I had looked it up, there were no Windows 8.1 drivers available, your adapter isn't listed. So that's why you're getting nowhere with it. 

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21223

These type of devices are accessories, meant for temporary use, such as if your Ethernet card needs replacement. They're not meant as a permanent replacement for your Internet access. Many will run OK for awhile, then will get hot & the connection gets flaky. 

Is there any reason you cannot use the built in Ethernet connection? Your router likely has up to 4 ports. 

Cat

#7 delijoe

delijoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:07 AM

I'm upstairs and the router/modem is downstairs. Also I used it without issue on my previous connection on the same system. Is there any other option for desktop PCs that need to use wifi?

#8 delijoe

delijoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:19 AM

Okay I just used 2 different programs adwcleaner and junkware removal tool. After doing that I seem to have for now at least a stable connection. Then again I've had times in the past couple days that it would be up for a couple hours then go back down (the WiFi is connected it just won't load web content). Running those programs did something to Chrome and its giving me a class not registered error when I try to start it. Firefox runs fine. I wonder if there was some malware associated with chrome that's causing this.

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:31 AM

Evidently, the device worked better with the other provider's equipment, or you recently upgraded to 8.1 & there's no drivers for it. 

In either case, you'll need one that's certified to work with Windows 8.1. 

What I suggest is to go to a local retailer where these type of accessories are sold, such as WalMart & get a new one. Be sure to save the packaging & receipt, so that you can swap for another model if the first one doesn't. 

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

OK, I just read you last post, if you keep getting these infections, you need to create a topic in the "Am I Infected" section of the forum. 

In the meantime. I suggest you download & run the Emsisoft Emergency Kit. You can run it straight from your Downloads folder (be sure to extract it there), or optionally from a Flash drive, where you can run it on any computer, at any time after updating. 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/emsisoft-emergency-kit/

Once downloaded & extracted, click onto the USB Stick Starter & the Emsisoft Emergency Kit will open. Be sure to select that option, I haven't used the other three tools. Update & perform a "Deep Scan". Every file on your drive will be scanned for all types of infections. This may take several hours, so if you have a large drive & lots of data, start it before you go to bed. The results will be there when you wake up. 

You may also want to use Revo Uninstaller (Free version) & totally remove Google Chrome. Then if you want to keep it, reinstall. Be sure to add extensions such as AdBlock Plus & Ghostery to control malicious content. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 20 July 2014 - 01:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users