Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Robolinux 7.5.5 has a built-in Virtual Machine. Are there smaller distros?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 brian2009

brian2009

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:25 PM

I would really like to run a couple Windows programs while I'm in Linux. This the blurb about it.

Robolinux is a user-friendly and intuitive operating system based on the latest stable release of Debian GNU/Linux. One of the project's more interesting features is the availability of a pre-configured virtual machine support pack with Windows XP or Windows 7 - a VirtualBox setup which allows the user to install and run the Windows operating system seamlessly alongside Robolinux.

I don't know anything about Virtual things so I was wondering if this might be worth checking out?

It's a pretty big download though. Are there smaller distros that might also have this Virtualness built-in?

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=robolinux

It would work best for me if I could run this on my current XP notebook, but it only has 2 GB of ram. It can take 4.

Thanks

Edited by Al1000, 05 February 2017 - 01:32 PM.
Moved from Linux & Unix

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:02 PM

You have to download it on robolinux also.  Some other distros, like zorin have it in their software centers.  I have a hard time doing those big downloads, so I go to osdisk, but there are others too, and pay about $6 + shipping, or if I can add up my wish list to over $20, free shipping.  I don't have to download that way, and I know the info is right.  Sometimes things get messed up in the download, or burning.  

Edited by heyyou325, 20 July 2014 - 02:03 PM.

#3 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:53 PM

I'll watch the Robolinux videos when I get a chance. But there is one question I have.

I don't need details, but I'm curious how you get "XP or Win 7" loaded into the Virtual Machine?

Do you need a Windows CD?

Can you use the Windows found on your notebook's recovery partition?

Will it use the Windows (and Windows programs) already loaded onto a notebook?....or...Do you need a fresh start?

Again, I don't really know anything about VM and I'm just wondering if you need Windows on a certain type of media for this to work?

Thanks.

#4 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:05 PM

From what I understand, and I'm not always right.  You can only have the windows whatever on one machine.  A virtual machine counts as a machine.  Robolinux's virtual machine is supposed to be stealth to keep it safe, and if you surf on robolinux, it would be real hard to get a virus.  I've looked at it a bit.  They also want a donation before you download and install it.  The virtual box on zorin lite (what I'm most familiar with) is in the software center, and can be downloaded and installed for free.  Supposedly you can use the copy of windows that was on your machine, but microsoft still has to have a key number to activate it.  My daughter had a virtual machine put on windows 8 and had mint installed on it.  I'm not sure of the advantages or disadvantages of a dual boot system vs that.  You should make a copy or image of your operating system (make a recovery disk) before you change anything on the computer.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:06 PM

Do you need a Windows CD?

Yes. And a genuine key.

I don't need details, but I'm curious how you get "XP or Win 7" loaded into the Virtual Machine?

Once you create a VM, You install Windows as normal.

Are there smaller distros that might also have this Virtualness built-in?

It is no big deal to add Virtual Machine to any linux distro. Including Puppy Linux.

What you do is open the distros Software manager, in the search box type in Virtual Machine, It will come back with Oracle Virtual Machine, Hit the install button, and thats it.

Or watch this.

Install Oracle VM VirtualBox on Linux Mint 13/14 (Ubuntu)

Then this.

How to install Windows XP on Virtual Box

#6 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:00 PM

I might still have an older XP CD from an old busted notebook, but if I can't find it (It might just be SP2 or 1), can I somehow use the Windows XP 3 loaded on my current (running) XP HD for restore purposes.

I downloaded a windows xp3 iso from microsoft...will this work? It came from:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=25129

Thanks.

Edited by brian2009, 24 July 2014 - 04:33 PM.

#7 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:56 PM

That's the service pack, not the operating system.  If you don't have service pack 3 ( an update to xp), you need xp updated to it.  I've been told once windows is put on a computer, it can't go on another one, even if you're not using the first one anymore.  Never tried it tho.

#8 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:55 PM

Well that was dumb of me. I should have spent more time reading what it was.

I'll look through some more youtube videos regarding VM. The ones I've seen make it look so easy...to, for example....load XP in a VM on a machine running Win 7.

They seem to breeze through the license key part kind of quickly though.

#9 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:53 PM

It is easy if you know what you're doing.  Me, I know nothing.   I'm still looking to find the product key for my windows 8.1 that was preinstalled.  I might be taking it off, then putting it on a virtual machine later.  But I need to find the key first.  You should find yours too.

#10 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:22 PM

the xp restore disks that come with the OS preinstalled from stores will NOT work. It needs to be a stand alone operating system. Sorry to burst your bubble.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,751 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:31 PM

Update. My Vm setup. Yes that's Kubuntu ( my main os) ,Then in VM I run Puppy Linux,  Ubuntu 14 and Windows 7,  And all at the same time if I want. Ps also remember I am screenrecording this so my PC is not as fast as it usually is. :hysterical:

http://youtu.be/Heeeg98kaaY

Edited by NickAu1, 19 August 2014 - 10:50 PM.

#12 ianmcqui

ianmcqui

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:37 AM

A new stable release of Robolinux is now available version robolinux64-gnome-v7.8.1.iso

They're saying "supersonic 3d speed" whatever that means?

Distrowatch still only has 7.7.1 LXDE listed I've Dl'd the iso and will install it later to see what improvements if any have been made, a more extensive set of drivers for WiFi and graphics would be on my wish list.

Ian.

#13 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,961 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 25 January 2015 - 06:23 PM

Some guidance on Windows licensing -

Virtually all versions of Windows come in two flavours - OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) and retail. Retail versions may be moved from one computer to another as you see fit so long as they are uninstalled from the previous computer. In other words, you can use a retail copy on a number of different computers but only on one at a time.

OEM copies are tied to the mother board they were originally installed on. MS makes allowances for the fact that mobos can fail, but installing in a system with a new mobo will normally require a phone call to MS.

If you bought a computer - Dell, HP, Toshiba, anybody's - with Windows pre-installed it is almost certainly an OEM copy, even if you were given the disks along with the computer. If you need to find the Windows COA number, run Speccy. You will find it in the section 'Operating system'. The above two paragraphs are the 'by the book' rules. You may find some flexibility in their application, particularly with older OS, but don't count on it.

Chris Cosgrove

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,751 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 06:31 PM

You are correct Chris and Yes I know I shouldn’t have Win 7 starter in VM, My excuse is the laptop it was on is busted beyond repair ( dropping it down 2 flights of stairs will do that ), Sorry Microsoft but I only use Win7 for good not evil. Helping people on BC.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users