Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Failed again with long range USB adapter

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 herbman

herbman

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:38 PM

Hi everyone , i  have one computer (Win 7 SP1 64 bit) in a back room using my ISP's providers modem with a ASUS RT N 10 router for wireless .

I have a tablet that gets the wireless signal only a room away but the signal is terrible ,  just can't seem to get a solid signal no matter what i do , i have moved the router as far as it would go closer to that location but still not happening.

I even tried a 802.11 b/g long range USB adapter by ALFA and no improvement , i know i must be doing something wrong but don't know what.

It is not possible to run cables or cords from one room to the next unfortunately ,   i am thinking i may need a new router that has more power or has better range because i have no answers.

The main computer is a Dell with an Intel i5 processor with plenty of ram and hard drive space (not that it matters) and it's only a few months old , the Router however is at least 6 or 7 years old.

The location of this computer is a third floor condo and there are plenty of others who have wireless so maybe we are all hogging the same channel i don't know .

I researched the Asus RT N 10 and it appears there is no way to switch channels.

I would really appreciate any help

Thank you

Edited by herbman, 19 July 2014 - 08:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:37 PM

If the tablet is an Android get Wi-Fi Analyzer and use it to change the channel on your router to  a channel that isn't used by as many networks.

I'm sure Apple has a similar application in their store.  Fing - Network Scanner looks like one, but I have not used it.

#3 lakyranu

lakyranu

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:21 AM

if you have requirement for good WiFi range i would suggest you to upgrade your router.

I would recommend Cisco M20 router. It is a very good router with a decent wireless range. 

For any further questions feel free to get in touch.

#4 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:40 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys ,   Regarding the Cisco M20 router which you say has decent WiFi range , decent isn't good enough , i need exceptional Wi Fi range.

Edited by herbman, 20 July 2014 - 08:40 AM.

#5 lakyranu

lakyranu

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:16 AM

What is the range you are looking for ?

I might be able to help you out.

#6 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:44 PM

Please reread my post ,  no offense meant but how much experience do you have with these issues  ,   have you been a Bleeping Computer advisor/ certified helper for long ? 

#7 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:58 AM

I would try and get one of those kits that uses a powerline ethernet and wireless access points. TP-Link has one that is relatively inexpensive. This device uses your electical circuits as a transfer median that will allow you to communicate back to where your Asus router is. Then you just create an access point on the other end of the house with the same SSID name and you are set. No running wires just simple configuration and problem solved. 

#8 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:40 AM

Thank you , i was wondering what the differences were regarding a USB wi fi adapter that you plug into a USB port and a plug in wall adapter /range extender ,  it appears both claim to do the same thing but maybe not.

I was looking at this one but yours maybe better.

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WA850RE-Universal-One-button-Indicator/dp/B00E98O7GC/ref=pd_cp_pc_1.

Edited by herbman, 21 July 2014 - 11:44 AM.

#9 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:46 PM

I would try and get one of those kits that uses a powerline ethernet and wireless access points. TP-Link has one that is relatively inexpensive. This device uses your electical circuits as a transfer median that will allow you to communicate back to where your Asus router is. Then you just create an access point on the other end of the house with the same SSID name and you are set. No running wires just simple configuration and problem solved. 

Does another access point require a second router?

Edited by herbman, 21 July 2014 - 03:47 PM.

#10 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:15 PM

Not at all, I have my whole house set up that way,laptop, tablets and 3 towers all running from the single Sky router. I also use TP-Link.

No loss in signal, Wi-Fi runs at 144 Mbps on all systems ,via hard wire around 150.

:busy:

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#11 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:22 PM

Which TP link gadget do you recommend , i see a few different models on amazon.

Thank you

#12 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:56 PM

• TP-LINK TL-WA850RE 300Mbps Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender, Repeater, Wall Plug design, One-button Setup, Smart Signal Indicator
  • This one falls within a good category, ideally if you can obtain one offering up to 500 Mbps all the better, however I wouldn't advocate you ever acquiring that sort of speed.... :nono:

At the end of the day it depends what you want for your own satisfaction, I can only speak with personal experience of using these          appliances  and installing them for other people  

Hope this assists you.  :smash:

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#13 lakyranu

lakyranu

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:17 PM

I have been working with Cisco SOHO for 3yrs. I have pretty much experience in these scenarios. 

#14 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:03 PM

• TP-LINK TL-WA850RE 300Mbps Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender, Repeater, Wall Plug design, One-button Setup, Smart Signal Indicator
  • This one falls within a good category, ideally if you can obtain one offering up to 500 Mbps all the better, however I wouldn't advocate you ever acquiring that sort of speed.... :nono:

At the end of the day it depends what you want for your own satisfaction, I can only speak with personal experience of using these          appliances  and installing them for other people  

Hope this assists you.  :smash:

OK I bought that one and have it but it appears the website for the below address that  Tp Link gives you is bogus       

http://tplinkextender.net

I can get a solid signal so that's good but there is no internet lol .   I have the adapter showing in my available networks but it has that yellow symbol with it so I don't know , I can't figure out how to match the router ip and the adapter ip. 

Edited by herbman, 25 July 2014 - 07:04 PM.

#15 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:03 PM

Anybody have an idea about this ,  apparently i need to access the below address to setup my  TP unit because i need to setup the IP address but i don't think the link is valid but it was in the instructions.

http://tplinkextender.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users