Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Script Blocking Software?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 31 May 2006 - 12:52 PM

I was trying to submit a post on another message board, but I wasn't allowed. I got a message that said that I may need to disable "script blocking software" on my PC. What is script blocking software and how do I disable it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,605 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 31 May 2006 - 01:08 PM

If you are using firefox browser it could be the extension "No Script" If that is the case just click on the NoScript button in the bottom right corner of your screen and select allow Bleeping Computer

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2006 - 01:30 PM

Nope, I use IE.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,605 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2006 - 01:41 PM

I posted this in another post today for someone else who script and cookie problems.

set cookie controls as follows: check override automatic cookie handling--- check Allow first party cookies--- check block third party cookies /click OK
To access cookie controls go to control panel/internet options/ privacy tab/click on advanced button

After clicking on OK above, click on security tab/click on custom level button/at this point you can click on reset button for changing to default settings or set individual settings for scripting. Scroll down to Scripting. Under Active Scripting check either enable or prompt. Most select enable. Under scripting of Java applets check enable.
Some time back users were instructed to change these settings as a work around for a problem with windows. You may have changed these settings at that time and forgot to change them back after Windows patched the vulnerability.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 10:55 PM

Okay. This won't affect my privacy or anything, will it?

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,605 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 09:08 AM

The cookie control settings that I suggested will keep third party cookies (possible spyware/adware) from installing on your computer. The script settings I suggested are the most convenient for most users. You can have easier control of scripting by using Firefox Browser and an extension for Firefox called "NoScript". Firefox is also considered a much safer browser than IE. Let me know what you decide or if you need further info.
Another thought is this. If you made no changes to your security settings in IE between trying to post at the other site and here, it would seem that the other site could have been attempting to lower your security for reasons that you might not of liked.

Edited by buddy215, 02 June 2006 - 09:22 AM.

#7 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 09:31 PM

I followed the directions. Active scripting and scripting for Java applets were already enabled.

I'm going to check the message board and see if I can post.

#8 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 09:43 PM

Darn it. I still can't post. Same message appears. It says that I haven't entered anything in the "message box" and that I might need to adjust script blocking software.

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,605 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 10:21 PM

Do you use Norton antimalware products? Possible their script block? Might as well check to see if you have the latest java program---5.0 update 6.

Edited by buddy215, 02 June 2006 - 10:36 PM.

#10 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 11:28 PM

Nope, I don't use Norton. I have the typical ZoneAlarm firewall, AVG antivirus, Adaware and Spybot. Also Google and Yahoo toolbars and with popup blocker. I doubt that has anything to do with it though.

I have no idea if I have the latest version of Java. How do I find out?

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,605 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 07:30 AM

Start/control panel/right click on the Java coffee cup/ click open/click general tab/ click about and that will tell you your version of java. Though I doubt that is the problem. I am running out of ideas here. If you will tell me what site it is you are having trouble with I can determine what cookies are required and what elements of the page require script.

#12 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 01:35 PM

I opened Add/Remove programs and it lists 5.0 Update 5 and 5.0 Update 6.

#13 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 01:36 PM

Oh, the site is http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/default.asp

#14 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,605 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 02:32 PM

I went so far as to register and post a message. No problems in either IE or Firefox. Only two cookies required--forum.blackhairmedia.com--both with same name with a bunch of numbers after. Only one element, the forum itself required script in order for me to use the forum. The only other element was Google syndicate(ads) which I blocked. Short of checking your list of blocked sites in IE Options, to make sure that those two cookies aren't blocked, I am out of ideas. I have the same security programs you mentioned. Maybe someone else will come up with something. By the way I see Java has a new update to 7. I believe it is minor but you might want to put that on your list to do. I haven't upgraded mine either.

#15 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 11:14 PM

The only site listed under Privacy to never allow cookies is gator.com. Am I looking in the right place?

I can't think of anything either. The Post A New Topic page always says 'Done, but with errors on this page'. It says that on a lot of sites, but it's never prevented me from posting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users