Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen issues on laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CrimsonCricket

CrimsonCricket

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:58 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium.  It is a 64 bit system and the laptop is three years old.  For most of 2014, I noticed I had to wait for a period of blackness (with only the cursor visible) to go away after logging in before my desktop would load.  I ran numerous virus and malware scans and found nothing.  I tried researching the reason online but couldn't find any solid answers.  So I assumed it was just Windows being buggy.

But after logging in yesterday, I never got past the black screen.  My desktop did not load, although I could move the cursor and bring up the task manager.  I could only get it to shut down by holding down the power button.  After waiting, I turned it back on and accessed safe mode with networking and had no issues at all.

When I tried powering up the computer the next time, I was able to get Windows to load!  However, I still had to wait through black screens, the Welcome screen briefly froze and a white cursor briefly appeared in the upper left corner of the screen before the blackness went away and the screen loaded as normal.  I would like to figure out what's going on and how to fix it.  I do have my files backed up but my laptop didn't come with a Windows 7 CD.  It looks like I was supposed to create a system recovery disk back when I first got it.  Would it be too late for me to make one now?  If not should I do it in safe mode or regular Windows?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavrielx

gavrielx

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:22 AM

HiCrimsonCricket

That sounds like  Display adapter driver problem.

first I stared at uninstall your current display driver

1. Access to Safe mode

2. Control panel

3.Device manager

4.Display Adapter ,expand the arrow  and select the device that appeared there 

5. click the right mouse button and select uninstall.

6. Restart  windows and enter the regular mode

If you can get in without any issues then download the latest Display driver from the Manufacturer site. (don't download from Dell site).

If you do not know what model and your card company is you can download this app to check.

Good luck  :thumbup2:

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:34 AM

If he can see the cursor I dont think its a display driver issue, however having up to date drivers is not a bad thing. 1. Yes you can still create your factory recovery disk from the Dell Datasafe application, if its been damaged or removed it can be reinstalled from your support page at http://support.dell.com. You can also contact dell and they will send you a factory installtion disc. 2. The problem is likely from a corrupt user profile since it only starts having a problem AFTER you start logging in. Create a new user account and log in with it. If the symptoms go away Copy your settings from the old user account to the new one. There could possibly be a problem with the windows logon process it self we can tackle that if the above fix doesn't work.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 johnebadbak

johnebadbak

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:32 AM

worth a try

STEPS:
1. Boot up as normal, and wait until you see the cursor on the black screen
2. When you're booted, press Ctrl+Alt+Del
3. In the Processes tab of the Task Manager, find explorer.exe
4. If you find one, right-click it and select End Process
5. Select File ? Run
6. Enter explorer and press Enter - the desktop should show up
7. After it has finished loading, reboot
8. This time, your desktop will show up without the black screen

#5 CrimsonCricket

CrimsonCricket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:13 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.  I created a new user account and when I logged in I did not have any black screen issues.  However I did notice the following:

1.  After a long time on the Welcome screen, the desktop appears and I didn't have to wait through a black screen.  But something funny keeps happening.  All the desktop icons appear normally, then become "blank page" icons and then go back to normal.  What's going on?

2.  I noticed I get a brief black screen with cursor between the Windows startup and the Login screens.  Is this normal?  I usually try to do something else while my computer starts up and I can't remember what the startup process looked like before I had these issues.  This also happens in Safe mode for both my normal account and the new one.

3.  When I access anything in "All Programs," I see a blank page icon which later becomes a regular program icon.  This happens in both normal and safe mode.  I usually access everything I need from the "Recently used programs" part of the Start menu, so I'm not sure whether or not this is normal behavior. 

Once that's resolved, I would also like some help on how to copy my user settings from the old profile over to the new one.

#6 CrimsonCricket

CrimsonCricket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:20 PM

I have resolved the last two issues and found instructions on tranferring user settings, but still need help resolving issue 1.  Would transferring my settings resolve the changing icons issue? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users