Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this a sound card problem? Please help

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Lexaus

Lexaus

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:37 PM

Hey everyone. So lately my computer hasn't been playing any audio despite the fact that the sound is on. I noticed the problem in the browser (Chrome) but it isn't limited to web files. When I try to play a video file it also comes out muted. 

Additionally, but may or may not be related, I've been noticing that videos often do not load (are stuck at 0:00 or are unresponsive) in the browser. 

The sound usually works in the first five to ten minutes of booting up the laptop but then crashes. Two notes about this: When I go to control panel > sounds > speakers > configure > test it tells me that the speakers are occupied by a different program. And two, when the audio crashes, if I had headphones on before it would tell me the headphones have been disconnected despite them still being in the computer. 

What's going on? Do I need to get my sound card replaced? I don't know what's up with the streaming video thing either. Help?? 

EDIT: I should mention that my computer is an Asus S400CA Vivobook, all hardware is the regular stuff, and the OS is Windows 8

Edited by Lexaus, 19 July 2014 - 06:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:36 PM

Laptops don't usually have discrete sound cards, they're more likely to be built into the motherboard. And also, what do you mean by "crash"? It is possible that you have a latency issue.

Could you please run this: http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

Try watching some videos/music with the program running and take a screenshot. If it peaks in red, you have a driver issue.

mYIGVc5.png

#3 Lexaus

Lexaus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:44 AM

Aww damn. So if it's a hardware problem I'm screwed? (Pardon the language) Thanks for the reply by the way!!

Ahh sorry sorry, by crash I mean the sound stops working. I actually did a two day system reset and it seems to be working perfectly now but I have a feeling it will happen again once I shut down/restart the laptop. 

Ok! I ran the tool you linked me to, played the first video I found on youtube and this was the result. Does this mean anything to you? The red peak is about when the video started playing so the yellow bars were consistent before the video was even on too. The website did say it reads incorrectly for windows 8 sometimes though?

YsGxy3w.png

Edited by Lexaus, 20 July 2014 - 01:49 AM.

#4 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:03 AM

Yes, the latency checker can give us an indication of whether the problem is hardware of software-based. I am aware that the program will assume it will be at around 1ms or 1000nanoseconds, which is perfectly normal, however, the jump in between still shows a bit of latency, however, there aren't that much to show that constant freezing is due to defective drivers. 

I will try and see if it is software/OS problem though. Could you download and run speccy and upload your report?

Go here: https://www.piriform.com/speccy/download

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

And copy the link here please.

mYIGVc5.png

#5 Lexaus

Lexaus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:55 AM

Ahem. Okay! Here goes! 

Alright so that went smoothly, this is a useful program. Here's the published result. I hope this helps you help me haha

#6 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:19 AM

Is the sound from onboard speakers or from headphones/earphones?

mYIGVc5.png

#7 Lexaus

Lexaus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:42 PM

Oh damn, I might have had headphones plugged in when I ran that program, yeah. Should I do it again without headphones? Because I did.

But again, strangely the audio is working right now. I was thinking to run speccy and that other one with the bars again if/when it freezes up (which I think is going to happen soon unfortunately) 

#8 Lexaus

Lexaus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:39 PM

Ok, as I thought the problem returned after my computer came out of sleep mode. 

This is what the latency checker looks like now, and this is my new speccy result (no headphones). 

hzTWgXh.png

#9 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:21 AM

This problem occurs regardless on headphones or speakers? The speccy results won't change whether you have the sound coming from the speakers or headphones, sorry for the confusion.

However, I have seemed to spot two different speaker outputs? Intel Display Audio and Realtek Audio. 

To test for conflicting drivers:

• Click the "Start Button" and select "Control Panel" in the right side of the menu.

• Select "System and Maintenance" followed by "System" in Windows Vista. Select "System and Security" followed by "System" in Windows 7.

• Select "Device Manager" in the left pane of the "System" window.

• Double-click the first sound device in the list to open the "Properties" for that device. Go to the "General" tab of the "Properties" dialog box.

• Check the "Device Status" list for any conflicts. Repeat with each sound device.

Edited by Ezzah, 21 July 2014 - 02:22 AM.

mYIGVc5.png

#10 Lexaus

Lexaus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:59 AM

Yeah like I said, if I have headphones in, it still freezes and it tells me I unplugged my headphones when I didn't. Usually at about ten to fifteen minutes after start up. 

Ahh ok let me do all that. Ok so I followed your steps and I found that the Realtek required no drivers while the Intel had multiple. I took a screenshot of it here. However, it does say the the Intel was installed two days ago (the 19th). I think I may have installed it when I was trying to fix the problem? But I'm not sure. The dates don't really match. 

Oooh! But I did notice something last night. The audio doesn't freeze up if I have it on continuously from start up. It usually crashes while the speakers are idle or the laptop is on sleep mode. I tested this by playing a rain sound drone for an hour or two and the speakers didn't crash. I don't know if this is relevant though, just thought it was worth noting. 

#11 Lexaus

Lexaus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:26 AM

Sorry to bump, but I would still like to know what's wrong if someone can help. 

#12 Lexaus

Lexaus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:07 PM

Once again, I'd still like someone to tell me how to fix this. This workaround that I found is not very convenient, you know?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users