Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issue with Boot, Freezing, Programs Failing to Open

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 taylorclogston

taylorclogston

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:04 PM

Hello! I've done a search over the Internal Hardware forum to try and find a solution to my problem, but didn't find anything, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

My system specs are:

ASRock 970 Extreme4

AMD FX-8350 w/stock cooler

2X Corsair XMS 4GB DDR3

Raidmax Hybrid 2 RX-530SS 530W PSU

Asus GeForce GTX 760

WD Caviar Green 1TB HDD

Windows 8.1 OEM

It's my first custom PC, which I've had for about ten months. Nothing is overclocked, and I just reinstalled all the drivers. Earlier in the week I put an air conditioner in the room my PC is in (my bedroom) and moved my PC from on top of my desk to the floor beside my desk. It still has plenty of ventilation, the environment is constantly at 70 degrees Fahrenheit, and the insides have been cleaned. I mention this as my first thought when I began having issues was it being linked to poor ventilation or overheating, since I had just moved my PC to the floor.

All my issues started happening at once. Firstly, when I try to start my PC, the fans begin to run, but it takes between one and three minutes before my mobo posts and my BIOS boots. From there, Windows loads without any further delays, and startup seems to have no issues.

However, after about half an hour, things stop responding. I will click on a program (any program, Steam, games, Chrome, VLC, Paint, Notepad, Libreoffice, etc.) and either the process will start (but no program window launches) or the program starts up but hangs a second into starting, and immediately stops responding. If I open up task manager, I can see a large amount of RAM being used (usually up to 125 MB, no matter the program) but no CPU usage or disk usage.

In the few days before this started, I was trying to troubleshoot another issue which may or may not be related. I could be in a program (most often in games, specifically Magic 2015 and The Secret World: it seemed to consistently happen more often in these than anything else) and suddenly the screen would freeze and all sound would stop. If I was on Skype or Teamspeak, the calls would be dropped. If I did nothing, my USB keyboard's lights would remain on, but if I hit a key, the lights would turn off. On the other hand, my USB led-lit mouse's lights would stay on even if I clicked the buttons. Unplugging and replugging would not turn the keyboard's lights back on, but would allow the mouse's lights to turn back on. During all this, all my components' lights stayed on, and the fans stayed on. Holding down the power button would not turn the PC off, and I would need to use the PSU switch to restart the PC. I could open a Splashtop streaming session on my iPad (so the service was still running), but the screen would be black. After the PC booted again, event viewer would only show 'unexpected shutdown' as a critical error, nothing having to do with driver failure.

To attempt to fix the problem, I have uninstalled everything installed in the last few days, done a few scans with Norton 360, (including a rootkit scan) removed as many startup processes as I could, uninstalled most programs which weren't games or for art creation, (Specifically uninstalled Raptr and Razer Experience which I thought might be interacting with each other poorly) flashed my mobo, done a CMOS reset, uninstalled and reinstalled all my hardware drivers, cleaned the insides of the PC with canned air and a vacuum, moved the air conditioner to a further away socket in case that had anything to do with it, made sure the environment was cool, (my fans are hardly working hard even in games when I keep the room cool, so I don't think it's an overheat issue) cleaned my registry, defragged and done a disk cleanup using CCleaner when I could, and restarted my PC more times than I care to count.

I have no idea what's going on, but hopefully someone can help me who's more experienced with PCs than I am.

Thanks in advance,

Taylor

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:30 PM

Possibly a hardware failure? Ventilation issues shouldn't case freezing and booting issues. This is an odd issue, as it happened after you moved the PC.

I did notice that you run a Caviar Green, which is more power-efficient. May I ask why you picked this over the conventional blues? I have suspicions that your problems are either risen from your HDD or RAM.

Also, Norton 360 is a horrible antivirus. I would suggest switching to Avast or Kaspersky when you are able. So, after moving your PC, all these issues happened on first start?

mYIGVc5.png

#3 taylorclogston

taylorclogston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:46 AM

I thought it might be a mobo issue, but wasn't sure, but I feel like a hardware issue would make the most sense in any event.

I used the caviar green because when I was building my PC, I had the choice to use a two year old 300 GB HDD from a Dell PC, buy a new HDD, or to try and use an unopened WD external drive we had laying around. Since I saw no reason why I shouldn't use it, I opened the external drive's case, removed the USB adapter, formatted it, and used it for my build.

On the subject of RAM, I've run memtest on a few different occasions and come up with nothing.

As for the antivirus, I was planning on switching to Avast once my Norton subscription is up this fall anyway.

Where the timing is concerned, I'm not so sure. I feel the crashing may be related (especially since it keeps happening) but that started several days before I moved everything. In addition, I can't say for certain the other issues happened right on the first start. What with the crashing, there's a good chance I might have had to restart the PC a couple times before I noticed the other issues.

Thanks a bunch for responding,

Taylor

#4 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:09 AM

If moving your computer played no part in these problems; hardware or software issues could still be your problem.

Could you please run Speccy? Download here: https://www.piriform.com/speccy/download

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

Post the results in your reply, so I can have a look at it. If we can't find anything, it's possible that the result is of hardware, and then we can act accordingly, before we make false assumptions.

mYIGVc5.png

#5 taylorclogston

taylorclogston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:05 AM

Here it is.

The reason I hadn't mentioned the 300 GB HDD is it's just for file backup and I haven't touched it in months, so it was very much at the back of my mind. Sorry -.-

Thanks,

Taylor

#6 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:25 AM

It says in this report, that your system is a tablet? There are also processes running, which indicate that your desktop is a laptop/tablet? Just slightly confused, as the build you listed is a desktop, unless you have installed some sort of writing implement/pad?

mYIGVc5.png

#7 taylorclogston

taylorclogston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:40 AM

I do have a Wacom drawing tablet, but I recently uninstalled its drivers when trying to troubleshoot this problem, and it's currently not plugged in. I'm confused as well.

Thanks,

Taylor

#8 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:41 AM

Apparently at the time it was still running:

Pen_Tablet.exe
Process ID: 
User: 
SYSTEM
Domain: 
NT AUTHORITY
Path: 
C:\Program Files\Tablet\Pen\Pen_Tablet.exe
Memory Usage: 
4.84 MB
Peak Memory Usage: 
4.89 MB

Pen_TouchService.exe
Process ID: 
User: 
SYSTEM
Domain: 
NT AUTHORITY
Path: 
C:\Program Files\Tablet\Pen\Pen_TouchService.exe
Memory Usage: 
3.91 MB
Peak Memory Usage: 
3.94 MB

Pen_TouchUser.exe
Process ID: 
User: 
Taylor
Domain: 
TAYLORPC
Path: 
C:\Program Files\Tablet\Pen\Pen_TouchUser.exe
Memory Usage: 
7.88 MB
Peak Memory Usage: 
8.99 MB

But this shouldn't have impacted your freezing issue :/, if only it was that simple. Have you run a memtest before on your RAM?

Edited by Ezzah, 21 July 2014 - 05:42 AM.

mYIGVc5.png

#9 taylorclogston

taylorclogston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:44 AM

I'm not sure why that would be :-\ I'll manually delete those, since I'm not using them. I wonder why they weren't uninstalled with the rest of the tablet stuff.

Yes, I've run it at two different times, during the second of which (which was around two months ago, when I was trying to troubleshoot what turned out to be a faulty video card, which I replaced) I tested the two sticks individually, and no issues came up.

Thanks,

Taylor

Edited by taylorclogston, 21 July 2014 - 05:45 AM.

#10 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:48 AM

Do you have an incentive to run a complete wipe, and reinstall windows? This is perhaps the only way to determine if the problem is software-based, as the Speccy doesn't seem to come up with anything unusual.

mYIGVc5.png

#11 taylorclogston

taylorclogston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:14 PM

I will reinstall, but first I'd like to order a larger HDD. I'll update this thread once I have done so.

Thank you for your help thus far,

Taylor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users