Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No sound on Laptop. Tried everything I can think of.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 xIcarusLives

xIcarusLives

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:56 PM

I'm trying to help a friend with their laptop over Teamviewer since we live in different provinces, I'm reaching out here because after 3 days of trying everything I can think of, I'm at the end of my rope with it.

The Laptop is:

Attached File  1.png   283.63KB   0 downloads

Sorry about the french, the friends computer is entirely in french (I do not speak it) which has made this arduous process even more infuriating. 

A few things to note:

• Every time the computer turns on, the 'system sound' is muted as shown in the attachment. Simply unmuting it doesn't make PC sound come back on.

Attached File  2.png   18.69KB   0 downloads

• Sound works when Headphones are plugged in
  • My friend claimed that they stopped a frozen windows update by rebooting (with pressing power button...). not sure if it affected anything or just coincidental timing. 
  • If I play music on their computer, it makes the audio levels bounce in the settings menu, shown here:

Attached File  speakers.png   11.98KB   0 downloads

• ​Using 'TeamViewer', I can hear their computers audio, but they cannot. If I type on Skype to them, I hear THEIR beeps through my computer (Teamviewer allows you to hear audio)

Things I've tried:

• System restore. The system didn't have enough space to keep backups that were far enough back that I could undo that potentially bugged windows update. (We tried a restore anyway but it didn't help)
  • Chkdsk (for the hell of it) didn't help
  • Updated sound drivers 
  • rolled back sound drivers, followed by updating them (they said they didn't even need to be updated which makes no sense
  • Installed Realtek audio drivers (compatible with the computer) to potentially fix something. It made an error pop up when I was away. The error said that System Audio was deactivated
  • Went to services.msc via CMD and tried to find a disabled audio service. Found none.
  • Looked through Device Manager, checked every audio thing I could find, all of them said 'working correctly' and they were all up to date. No errors/warnings/symbols of any kind.
  • Downloaded a windows utility that scans for audio issues and fixes said issues. It found none.
  • Checked to make sure all volume levels were at maximum.. obviously
  • Checked to make sure that in the sound mixer, nothing was muted
  • scanned for rootkits using three separate programs. No viruses or kits found.

I did more I cannot think of at the moment as it's been 3 days of trying stuff. Hoping someone on here can maybe give me suggestions on what to do. My friend does not want to do a clean factory settings restore or I would've already, that's last ditch effort if they want to do it, but until then I'm trying to find alternative suggestions. 

I greatly appreciate any and all responses. This is driving me insane. :(

Edited by xIcarusLives, 19 July 2014 - 07:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:39 PM

This is driving me insane.

That I can understand ! 

However, every check and test you have listed is 'electronic' as opposed to 'physical'. I suspect that the feed to the speakers is broken / disconnected, particularly in view of the fact that sound works out of headphones. Another possibility is that, as I am sure you are aware, nearly all headphone sockets contain a switch to disable the speakers when headphones are plugged in. These switches can fail or be jammed open by dirt etc.. I have used switch cleaner + a few rapid insertions of the headphone plug to fix that particular problem with some success over the years.

This would not explain why the default sound setting is 'Mute', but I suspect that the relevant registry value is set to 'Off' rather than 'On'. I am no expert on the inner workings of the registry in Windows - I only go in there after thinking very hard and seeking advice - but that seems the most likely cause. Personally, I would live with that if all it requires is that you un-mute the sound before you can play anything !

Chris Cosgrove

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:40 PM

Go to Device Manager...uninstall current audio drivers.

Go to system manufacturer's website...download sound drivers for version of Windows...install same.

Louis

#4 xIcarusLives

xIcarusLives
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:18 PM

I've disregarded physical problems because my friend had the PC gone for repairs for 2 months and JUST got it back. Doesn't want to send it back in yet so I'm trying my best to solve any software/windows problems so we can maybe avoid it. Once all options have been exhausted I'll tell them to take it in when they want to.

The system being unmuted by me does not allow the sound to work. so maybe it is indeed the headphone jack or the speakers, as my friends dad (who isn't a PC expert) is the one that disassembled it to replace a power jack. It's quite possible he severed something and I'm going to ask my friend to have him look if he did.  Thank you for the response. 

I've downloaded the sound drivers from  http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=K53E&p=3&s=295&os=30&hashedid=fCGFt3hiSAQYMnvO

Uninstalled the realtek device, restarted computer, and noticed that it wasn't even uninstalled. Still listed in device manager and has the option to uninstall with 'working correctly' on it. Proceeded with the driver anyway and it has not fixed the audio issues. 

Also just scanned for rootkits with three programs, all of which came back clean. 

Edited by hamluis, 20 July 2014 - 08:59 AM.
Removed unnecessary quoteboxes - Hamluis.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:34 PM

You said you uninstalled the Realtek Device. If the driver is Realtek, it may work a look at the Realtek HD Audio Manager in Control Panel. You have to set the Control Panel from Category to Small or Large Icons to see the Manager.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users