I'm trying to help a friend with their laptop over Teamviewer since we live in different provinces, I'm reaching out here because after 3 days of trying everything I can think of, I'm at the end of my rope with it.
The Laptop is:
1.png 283.63KB 0 downloads
Sorry about the french, the friends computer is entirely in french (I do not speak it) which has made this arduous process even more infuriating.
A few things to note:
- Every time the computer turns on, the 'system sound' is muted as shown in the attachment. Simply unmuting it doesn't make PC sound come back on.
2.png 18.69KB 0 downloads
- Sound works when Headphones are plugged in
- My friend claimed that they stopped a frozen windows update by rebooting (with pressing power button...). not sure if it affected anything or just coincidental timing.
- If I play music on their computer, it makes the audio levels bounce in the settings menu, shown here:
speakers.png 11.98KB 0 downloads
- Using 'TeamViewer', I can hear their computers audio, but they cannot. If I type on Skype to them, I hear THEIR beeps through my computer (Teamviewer allows you to hear audio)
Things I've tried:
- System restore. The system didn't have enough space to keep backups that were far enough back that I could undo that potentially bugged windows update. (We tried a restore anyway but it didn't help)
- Chkdsk (for the hell of it) didn't help
- Updated sound drivers
- rolled back sound drivers, followed by updating them (they said they didn't even need to be updated which makes no sense
- Installed Realtek audio drivers (compatible with the computer) to potentially fix something. It made an error pop up when I was away. The error said that System Audio was deactivated
- Went to services.msc via CMD and tried to find a disabled audio service. Found none.
- Looked through Device Manager, checked every audio thing I could find, all of them said 'working correctly' and they were all up to date. No errors/warnings/symbols of any kind.
- Downloaded a windows utility that scans for audio issues and fixes said issues. It found none.
- Checked to make sure all volume levels were at maximum.. obviously
- Checked to make sure that in the sound mixer, nothing was muted
- scanned for rootkits using three separate programs. No viruses or kits found.
I did more I cannot think of at the moment as it's been 3 days of trying stuff. Hoping someone on here can maybe give me suggestions on what to do. My friend does not want to do a clean factory settings restore or I would've already, that's last ditch effort if they want to do it, but until then I'm trying to find alternative suggestions.
I greatly appreciate any and all responses. This is driving me insane.
Edited by xIcarusLives, 19 July 2014 - 07:21 PM.