Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer internet problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ubstarshine

ubstarshine

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:36 PM

Ok, so, I moved a few days ago, and we got internet in the new house. I connected via wifi, and everything was working perfect. I went to install a game via steam, about 4 hours after connecting. I let it install, it was black ops 2, and about 5 gigs. I downloaded it, and then pretty much the instant after it downloaded (I was watching it, cuz I happened to walk into the room as it was finishing up) the internet just stopped. Completely stopped. I checked on other computers in the house, and every single one except my desktop was working perfectly fine. It was just spitting out random DNS errors, about 3 different ones. I looked each up, and did all the possible solution, to no avail. So I decided to re-install windows. I got a backup of my drivers, and that is all I took off of the computer. So I re-installed windows, and re-installed the drivers. Didn't work. I tried resetting the router to factory settings, didn't work. At this point I have no idea what the **** the problem could be. So I decided to try another wifi network. I hosted a wifi network via my phone, connected, and it worked fine. So I know it's not my computer, so it must be the router? But I restored it to factory settings, and it didn't work. Any help? Btw, some more info. I can ping yahoo.com, I can ping the router, I can ping any computer on the network... except one? It seems that I cannot ping my laptop for some odd reason. I can ping any other website I try.... EXCEPT google.com... It just says ping request could not find host google.com. Please check the name and try again. When I try to load a webpage it says in the bottom (Still use IE, since no internet connection to download chrome yet) Website found. Waiting for reply, and the bar moves REALLY slowly until it is about, 2/5s of the way there, and just stops forever. No cannot display webpage or anything... any help?

Edited by hamluis, 19 July 2014 - 04:35 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:14 PM

You might give this guide a look. :)

Worth a shot. 

http://www.ihelpforum.com/index.php?guides/speeding-up-your-internet-connection-vista-windows-7.44/

#3 lakyranu

lakyranu

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:43 AM

hi,

As i have understood you are using a WiFi router at home for connectivity and it works fine with every other device except your laptop.

Further you have formatted your laptop and installed a new copy of windows.

If i am correct plz provide me with the following details:

1) Brand and firmware of the WiFi router

2) Os on the laptop

3) ipconfig /all  - run in cmd.exe and paste the output in reply

4) ping router / ping 8.8.8.8 / ping 4.2.2.2 / ping google.com / ping yahoo.com  -   paste the output in reply.

you can provide the following details and we can further troubleshoot.

If you could provide any other information that would be good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users