Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Chrome Lag Issue

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 1024kb

1024kb

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:00 PM

Starting yesterday, Google Chrome's performance has been extremely poor compared to what it once was. I experience severe lag (2-3 seconds) when typing in any type of text field, also random pages seem to take a long time to load. For starters I verified I had the most recent version of Chrome installed. After Googling for support, most people stated after doing a re-install their issues were fixed, however that did not work for me. I cleared all cache, as well as disabled all plugins. Yet Chrome still continues to lag. I do not experience these issues in IE, Firefox, and Maxthon. And I do not experience any issues running Chromium on my Debian box. I run ESET NOD32 Antivirus and always make sure it is up to date with the latest virus definitions. I see no suspicious processes/services running in the background. I am running Windows 7 on this box. Does anyone have possibly any ideas as to what could be causing this or what I might can try? Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:03 PM

Hello why not give this guide a shot, let us know how it goes for you. :)

http://windowsinstructed.com/windows-7-or-vista-machine-is-running-a-bit-slower-than-it-used-to/

#3 1024kb

1024kb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:16 PM

That is really not at all what I need. Thank you for replying though. Anyone else have any insight?

#4 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:41 PM

Have you tried the steps? 

Go through the guide then see how chrome treats you. :)

#5 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:43 PM

Also you might try this.

http://www.ihelpforum.com/index.php?guides/speeding-up-your-internet-connection-vista-windows-7.44/

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:44 PM

I do agree that Google Chrome runs faster on LInux, probably in part due to the lack of overhead of the OS. Though I do have ESET NOD32 for LInux on MInt 17 x64 (MATE) for extra security. 

There are many Windows processes going while the OS is running, some of which may play a part of the browser loading slower. On all of my Windows installs, it seems as though Google Chrome takes forever just to load the startup pages. It doesn't matter which brand of security is installed (NOD32 or Emsisoft Anti Malware), the issue is still there. And I don't dare to disable security, just to see if it loads faster. 

Guess being that I'm now using Linux Mint 80 to 85% of the time I'm on the computer, it just hasn't mattered as much to me to look into. 

Just wanted to let you know you're not in the boat alone & another reason why I choose to run Linux. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:55 PM

One thing that you can try that doesn't require any extra software, is to unplug both your modem & router (the removal of the power cord). 

Let both stand for about a minute & then repower. It'll take a minute or so for the modem to fully come back up, but when all comes back up, you should have a faster connection. This, I perform at least once monthly to keep my Internet as fast as possible. It also happens to be the first thing your ISP will ask you to do when calling for service, so that's how I got into the habit of performing it as maintenance. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#8 ulupoi

ulupoi

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:46 PM

If you're having a problem with slow typing or otherwise slow performance with Chrome, you might try turning hardware acceleration off or updating your graphics driver.

After updating to Chrome version 36, I experienced a terribly annoying lag when typing into any text box, from the Gmail compose box to the omnibox/address bar. The quick solution was to turn off hardware acceleration. Go to Settings by clicking on the "Customize and control Google Chrome" icon (three parallel bars at the top right corner of the window) and select "Settings", then scroll to the bottom of the "Settings" window and click on "Show advanced settings...". Scroll down to the "System" section. The second item in that section is "Use hardware acceleration when available." Uncheck that box. Worked for me! I got this solution from Leo M's comment to this blog post: http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/2014/07/stable-channel-update.html

Following the advice of one of the comments in this thread (https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=395253), I updated the driver for my display adapter (ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 series), and now I can run Chrome with hardware acceleration turned on without a problem. At least in my case, it seems that hardware acceleration in Chrome 36 was incompatible with my old (2009) graphics driver. 

#9 1024kb

1024kb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:59 PM

If you're having a problem with slow typing or otherwise slow performance with Chrome, you might try turning hardware acceleration off or updating your graphics driver.

After updating to Chrome version 36, I experienced a terribly annoying lag when typing into any text box, from the Gmail compose box to the omnibox/address bar. The quick solution was to turn off hardware acceleration. Go to Settings by clicking on the "Customize and control Google Chrome" icon (three parallel bars at the top right corner of the window) and select "Settings", then scroll to the bottom of the "Settings" window and click on "Show advanced settings...". Scroll down to the "System" section. The second item in that section is "Use hardware acceleration when available." Uncheck that box. Worked for me! I got this solution from Leo M's comment to this blog post: http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/2014/07/stable-channel-update.html

Following the advice of one of the comments in this thread (https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=395253), I updated the driver for my display adapter (ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 series), and now I can run Chrome with hardware acceleration turned on without a problem. At least in my case, it seems that hardware acceleration in Chrome 36 was incompatible with my old (2009) graphics driver. 

Disabling hardware acceleration fixed my problem right away! Thanks so much buddy! Not sure why I was having an issue as my graphics driver is completely up to date, but it's whatever. I'm happy. And thanks for actually reading my post unlike the other people in this thread (I mean, power cycle my modem and router, really?). You rock!

#10 morris88

morris88

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:50 AM

I have experienced similar issues with Google chrome.

Just all of a sudden it started performing really slowly.

In the end I un-installed chrome and then re-installed and it worked fine.

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:19 AM

I have experienced similar issues with Google chrome.

Just all of a sudden it started performing really slowly.

In the end I un-installed chrome and then re-installed and it worked fine.

+1! :thumbup2:

That's once what I had to do & all was fine. Done this with Revo Uninstaller, using the 3rd (Moderate) option. Being that my profile is synced, bookmarks, extensions, history & other preferences, after the uninstall, reboot, run CCleaner then reinstall & sign back in, all was much faster. 

Maybe had to do with the fact that it had been updated many times. I did noticed that the install folder was much smaller. This issue also is more prevalent on Windows OS's, haven't noticed similar slowdowns on Linux Mint 17. 

Too many extensions (add-ons) can also cause performance issues. Especially too many of the same type. For example, if Ghostery is installed, there may be conflicts with Privacy Badger. Disconnect & Avast Online Security. Ghostery is very configurable, so the others aren't needed. These doesn't have to be entirely removed, just disabled.

May need to do the same with Firefox. It's lagging too.  :P

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users