Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound won't work when unplugged!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 maxell505

maxell505

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:17 PM

Hi everyone. Recently I have had this problem where when my laptop is on my desk, it is connected to the power cable, a usb hub (my wireless mouse reciever and the power for my speakers), and a green cord that hooks into the headphone port of my laptop that is connected to my speakers. So I have had this setup for a while now but recently when I take all of these cables out and i go on sites like youtube or hulu or netflix, the audio will not play. the video will not play either. but as soon as i plug it back in, everything is fine. Please help. I cannot watch Youtube in my bed at night anymore! 

I have an HP Pavilion DM4-3099se laptop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:35 PM

It sounds like your setup is drawing too much power for the battery alone.

You might try the laptop only and use the internal resources.

Keep us posted 

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,721 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:26 PM

Am I correct in my understanding - netflix, youtube etc work OK when you are at your desk but not when you are tucked up in bed ?  Have you checked to see if you are getting a wi-fi signal in your bedroom, or at least a sufficient one ?

Possibly the simplest way to check if it is your sound system on your computer or not would be to play an audio track from your hard drive - you should have Windows' sample sounds or video if you don't have any of your own. If these don't play, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 maxell505

maxell505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:33 PM

Am I correct in my understanding - netflix, youtube etc work OK when you are at your desk but not when you are tucked up in bed ?  Have you checked to see if you are getting a wi-fi signal in your bedroom, or at least a sufficient one ?

Possibly the simplest way to check if it is your sound system on your computer or not would be to play an audio track from your hard drive - you should have Windows' sample sounds or video if you don't have any of your own. If these don't play, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

For some reason the music I have on my computer won't play. It says that Windows cannot play this file. They are just regular MP3 files that I am playing using Windows Media Player. But I know that my sound card is not at fault. Regular Windows noises still play. When I right click thesound icon in my taskbar tray and I click on sounds and play the test sounds that I have, those play normally. When I go on Youtube, not only does the video not play but the sound doesnt either. When the video does play, it is only for maybe 2-3 seconds and than it stops again and if i fast forward to another part of the video, it will play for a few seconds and than stop again. This does not occur when I am plugged in to my power cord, my usb hub, and the speaker cord that plugs into the headphone jack. I have been watching videos and everything for a long time and this has never occured. It has recently started occuring.

#5 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:09 PM

What can you do in bed [running strictly on battery power]?

Do you have an indicator to tell you what the charge level is on that battery? How old is the battery?

Keep us poster

Dick E

#6 maxell505

maxell505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:38 PM

What can you do in bed [running strictly on battery power]?

Do you have an indicator to tell you what the charge level is on that battery? How old is the battery?

Keep us poster

I usually get in bed when the battery is fully charged. The battery is not even 2 years old. Everything else works fine. I do not think it is my internet connection. I even went to my laptops website and updated my sound card to the latest version. Still nothing happened. Please help. All I do in my bed is watch Youtube and sometimes Hulu. Sometimes I check my email also

#7 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:05 PM

Go to the control panel and review your power settings

With everything else working correctly it sounds like you have the battery power settings restricting what you can do. Email and document production would be OK but watching videos might be limited

Keep us posted

Dick E

#8 maxell505

maxell505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:54 PM

Go to the control panel and review your power settings

With everything else working correctly it sounds like you have the battery power settings restricting what you can do. Email and document production would be OK but watching videos might be limited

Keep us posted

I'm sorry but when I went into power settings in the control panel, nothing came up that was related to this matter. All I saw were settings to change how bright i want the display when it is plugged in or when the laptop is running on battery power. Can you please guide me. Thank You.

#9 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:46 AM

OK,

Control panel -> poweer options -> edit plan settings should get you to the point where you can make sure your videos will play without AC power connected.

Keep us poster

Dick E

#10 maxell505

maxell505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:05 PM

OK,
Control panel -> poweer options -> edit plan settings should get you to the point where you can make sure your videos will play without AC power connected.
Keep us poster

OK so I did that and I have attached a picture of the results. I have restarted and nothing has happened

#11 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,721 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:09 PM

The bad news is that your picture didn't come through !  There are three things that come to my mind -

(1)  If you are sitting at your desk but have none of your usual auxilaries plugged in do audio and video work ?  This will eliminate location as the problem.

(2)  If you go into 'Device manager' - 'Control panel - System - Device manager (in the top left)' - do you have any exclamation or question marks against any of your hardware?

(3)  There is a help topic on the HP web-site which may help you -

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01912228&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5254512

I have to say this is one of the weirder problems I have come across. There are a number of reasons for sound not working, or at least not being audible, but I can't think of an audio problem that would stop a video running, you just wouldn't hear the sound track.

Chris Cosgrove

#12 maxell505

maxell505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:11 PM

The bad news is that your picture didn't come through !  There are three things that come to my mind -

(1)  If you are sitting at your desk but have none of your usual auxilaries plugged in do audio and video work ?  This will eliminate location as the problem.

(2)  If you go into 'Device manager' - 'Control panel - System - Device manager (in the top left)' - do you have any exclamation or question marks against any of your hardware?

(3)  There is a help topic on the HP web-site which may help you -

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01912228&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5254512

I have to say this is one of the weirder problems I have come across. There are a number of reasons for sound not working, or at least not being audible, but I can't think of an audio problem that would stop a video running, you just wouldn't hear the sound track.

Chris Cosgrove

OK so I left my computer and when I came back I restarted and went to my bed and everything worked absolutely fine. I even plugged into all my cables and watched a few videos and checked some emails and went back to my bed and everything was working perfectly. Thank you everyone for all your help. Thank you so much.

#13 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:25 PM

Glad to hear that all is well. Still wondering what the problem was and what the solution was.

Be that as it may

Stay well and surf safe. We'll be here when you need us

Dick E

#14 dineshramdin

dineshramdin

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:20 AM

It is quite weird that the problem got fixed automatically. The next time it happens again, I suggest that you investigate your power settings to see if somehow a few things are being shut off unnecessarily (as Dicke also suggested). I hope the problem never comes back though.

#15 maxell505

maxell505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:21 AM

It is quite weird that the problem got fixed automatically. The next time it happens again, I suggest that you investigate your power settings to see if somehow a few things are being shut off unnecessarily (as Dicke also suggested). I hope the problem never comes back though.

Yeah hopefully it never comes back. Thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users