Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows cannot find 'bat=exe'

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 winnipegboy

winnipegboy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:57 PM

My friends Windows 8.1  laptop has recently started throwing up 50 to 100 command windows upon startup all with the same error in them.

The command window says" Error: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value." and the error dialogue box on top says" Windows cannot find 'bat=exe'.

See attached screenshot.

I'm imagining a registry error has occurred. I've used Ccleaner and Malware bytes on it, but aside from many fixes I've performed, we are left with the bat=exe error.

Short of a system restore, I'm imaging a regedit fix. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:08 PM

Have you by chance run a registry cleaner?  They can cause problems that're tough to diagnose and even tougher to fix.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 winnipegboy

winnipegboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:39 PM

Thanks, Wpgwpg.

Yes, I have run a registry cleaner, but the problem was there before I did.  I have used Ccleaner (from Piriform)  which I have used for years and have complete faith in.  I agree most 'registry cleaners' can cause a lot of trouble.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:51 PM

Download and run Autoruns. Look for anything related to bat=exe in the Logon or Everything tab. If you find it, uncheck the entry. If the problem goes away, you can run Autoruns again and delete the entry.

#5 winnipegboy

winnipegboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:24 PM

Wow, what a great tool. Never knew it existed.  Thanks for the great suggestion.

#6 winnipegboy

winnipegboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:03 PM

Autoruns has no entry at all for bat=exe.  8-(

It did find several entries with a "file not found" in the path and highlighted in yellow.  I unchecked them all, but the cmd windows and error see screen shot above) still return.

'bat=exe' is a string that doesn't appear any where else on the internet, so I've got a pretty unique problem.

Interestingly, the owner has experimented with shutting down the 60ish cmd windows and then was horrified to note, that when he plugged inhis power supply (low battery warning)  the cmd winds all reappeared!   How weird is that.

Its an annoyance that he's living with. I'm sure its a simple fix once its found. Would hate to have to restore Win 8.1, he has a lot of applications installed and is a newbie.

Any ideas are muchly appreciated.   Thank you Bleepers.  

#7 Cobalt006

Cobalt006

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:48 PM

Has he tried a window refresh? Sound like he has some system file corruption.  If so this will damage the registry to..

#8 winnipegboy

winnipegboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:20 PM

Thanks, Cobalt.  If you mean a restore point, we looked and though the laptop is over six months old, there are only to recent restore points there, more recent than when the problem started.

If you are referring to "Refresh your PC without affecting your files" Haven't tried that yet. Will he have to reinstall all the software he has installed since the laptop was new?

Thanks

#9 Cobalt006

Cobalt006

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:45 PM

As far as Refresh, Yes he would have to  reinstall any Software . He has added.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users