Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Gives With D/l-ing Shockwave 8 Plug-in . . .

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 C J.

C J.

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 31 May 2006 - 12:18 PM

For the past couple of days, I've been trying to play a game online which requires the new Shockwave free plug-in. What used to be a Macromedia product, is now an Adobe product (?) Anyways, when I'm prompted to install/run, I click the button but then nothing procedes to happens. I haven't had this problem with other plug-in downloads I've made - only with Shockwave. I even added Adobe.com to my ZA trusted zone... still nothing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 31 May 2006 - 01:17 PM

... ?!?! I see what you mean. When I go to www.macromedia.com it directs me to Adobe's website! Try this link to download shockwave: http://www.adobe.com/products/shockwaveplayer/

Ok, after a little bit of researching I've found out that Macromedia was purchased and merged on December 3, 2005 by Adobe. If you want more info, check out this wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macromedia

Edited by Elendil, 31 May 2006 - 01:24 PM.

Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 31 May 2006 - 01:41 PM

What browser are you using?

#4 C J.

C J.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:16 PM

What browser are you using?

Avant... but it uses/shares IE's browser/security settings. At anyrate I figured it out today (and how :thumbsup: ) why I couldn't get Shockwave to download... it was all because of IE 7 beta 2. Soooooo.... I wound having to reformat, and copy my old drive back onto this new one with Maxiblast 4 - to get Windows and IE 6 back up and running.

After 3 hours of monkeying around trying to ditch IE 7 - after a botched uninstall ... it took 45 mins to wipe C: and restore windowsXP from my old hard drive. :flowers:

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:53 PM

Actually you could have rolled back to IE6 by uninstalling IE7 in add/remove programs, but alls well that ends well.

#6 C J.

C J.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 12:03 AM

Actually you could have rolled back to IE6 by uninstalling IE7 in add/remove programs, but alls well that ends well.

I'm sorry, maybe I should have been clearer by what I meant. When I first went to uninstall IE 7 via appwiz - it told me that "this program has already been removed from this system" and asked me if I wanted to remove its installed entry in add/remove. Like a idiot I clicked "yes". The next few hours were rather interesting. I finally came to conclude something must of gone horribly wrong during its installation. I tried everything I could find online to uninstall it correctly, and even went the Microsofts IE Beta support newsgroup. It was no use. Right now I'm running into the same nightmare with Adobe Reader 7.0.7 at the moment.

I've been trying to find manual removal instructions for it since Adobe won't allow me to uninstall the software via appwiz.cpl - without Adobe Reader 7.0.msi being someplace on my drive. 7.0.8 is the current download from adobe. So I guess I'm reformatting with a clean install. :thumbsup: :flowers:

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:14 AM

Use add/remove programs

Uninstall Adobe and reinstall it.
If yiou have continued problems uninstalling IE 7 try installing it again and then uninstalling it, although you might find it works after you reinstall it.

#8 C J.

C J.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 05:01 PM

Use add/remove programs

Uninstall Adobe and reinstall it.
If yiou have continued problems uninstalling IE 7 try installing it again and then uninstalling it, although you might find it works after you reinstall it.

Found a way to fix my adobe catastophe. I don't why Adobe doesn't put their forums in order so a person can find what they need? It took some digging, but I got referred thru a posting there for a MSKB article and a tool to straighten out getting it removed from appwiz. Msicuu2.exe

Apparently, Adobe installs appdata files to \D&S\USERS\ as well as \D&S\NAME\
Adobe was/and only could be reinstalled once the entry was removed for it from "Installer" in the registry.

Then on top of all else. . . I had to call Microshaft at next reboot to reactivate again.

Oh well... I'm back in business.

Edited by C J., 01 June 2006 - 05:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users