Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New motherboard

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 spngbobis4me

spngbobis4me

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:04 PM

I replaced my motherboard and wanted to know if there was anything I need to do as far as my windows or updates? should I still be able to just power it on with the same hard drive and windows install that I was using before? Is there anything else that I need to do after installing the new motherboard. It is the exact same one that was previously installed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:08 PM

Hallo spngbobis4me!

New motherboard has her own drivers.So you should remove this ones from previous motherboard and install the new ones from official website.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:22 PM

If you purchased a new motherboard it should have come with a disc with the drivers needed for it.

If you are planning to use a hdd which has a Windows operating system installed with the old motherboard you may have a problem.

The chipset of the motherboard contains identifiers which are Windows recognizes the first time the operating system is started and will continue to recognize these each time the computer is started.  If you take that motherboard out and install another Windows will see different identifiers and may not even boot.  If it does this doesn't mean that you have dodged the bullet as the system will begin to degenerate and eventually fail in most cases.

If you ever want to move a hdd to another motherboard in the future use the instructions below.

If you run sysprep on the hdd with Windows before moving it you should be be able to move it and boot from it on the other computer. You want to remove all hardware identifiers from the hdd, this generalizes the drive.

Click on the Start orb, then type cmd in the Search box.

cmd will appear under Programs above the search box, right click on it and choose Run as administrator.

This will open the Elevated Command Prompt.

In the Elevated Command Prompt type in CD C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep, then 
use the command: "sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown"
Don't power the drive back on until it's in the other computer.
Note: You'll want to install matching chipset drivers, video drivers, etc.. after moving the drive.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 spngbobis4me

spngbobis4me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:52 PM

What if the reason I replaced the motherboard is because my laptop wouldn't boot, how would I go about installing the new drivers for it?

Because it still doesn't boot with the new motherboard?

#5 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:42 PM

Perhaps you have another hardware issue, other than the mobo? Have you tested your RAM to ensure that they are placed properly, or even malfunctioning?

mYIGVc5.png

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:50 AM

Please post the make and model of the motherboard and the RAM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:17 PM

I've rarely run into issues with laptop motherboard replacements (as long as the mobo is stock for that particular machine). If one wishes to migrate an OS to a different environment the HAL will have to be manipulated; as Arachibutyrophobia alluded to in post 3.

There are programs that can assist with this or one can mod the HAL manually.

Edited by bludgard, 20 July 2014 - 12:18 PM.

#8 spngbobis4me

spngbobis4me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:57 PM

I have tested and replaced the RAM and still the same symptom. I replaced the mobo with the a brand new stock

Gateway NV53A LA-5912P MB.BL002.001 AMD Motherboard . The RAM is Pc-3. I Since it is still doing the exact same thing that it did before I replaced the mobo then that was not problem? Even if I needed to update drivers or re-install Os it would still boot up wouldn't it? I have also disconnected the screen to check for a short and it still did not boot.

#9 spngbobis4me

spngbobis4me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:04 PM

What about the processor? it's about the only thing I haven't checked. Would it cause it to power on and shut down immediatly if it were bad?

#10 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:08 PM

A faulty CPU should not allow the computer to turn on at all; however, this is not the case for every computer, as some can boot into BIOS without a CPU.

mYIGVc5.png

#11 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:33 AM

Can the machine reach the BIOS screen stably?

One way to test hardware is to boot from live media (such as a Linux distro, UBCD, Windows install media etc.). If said media is stable, then more than likely there is a software issue.

Same with battery removed?

If all else fails: Remove the mobo and connect only the display, charger and power button (no RAM, HDD, witless card, USB ribbons, keyboard, touchpad etc.). Power-up.... All the while mobo should be sitting outside the case; optimally on anti-static material, I mostly just use a countertop.

What is the exact model of this Gateway machine?

Edit: As hinted at earlier: Please try a known good charger that is compatible.

About the CPU: If the laptop had been running hot and previously shutting down there is a possibility that the CPU is toast....

Edited by bludgard, 21 July 2014 - 06:47 AM.

#12 spngbobis4me

spngbobis4me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:21 AM

I have a gateway NV53A-24U. No I cannot boot to the bios it doesn't power on long enough. It was not running hot before this happened. I went to boot one day and all I got was a black screen, you could here the fans running and then it shut down. After playing with it a bit I reset the hard drive and it booted up normally with no issues or conflicts at all, it ran for a few days and the next time I tried to restart I got the same thing (powers on,fan runs, shut down, nothing on screen). Both the battery and the charger are new and compatible with the laptop. I will try removing the mobo and let you know? Thank you.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:58 AM

Have you tried using an external monitor?

#14 spngbobis4me

spngbobis4me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:18 PM

Yes I have but it doesn't power on long enough to push the keyboard keys to switch it to HDMI?

The charger I have is compatible and it lights up that it's working and changes to blue indicating that it's charging the battery.

K I removed the mobo leaving only the display, charger and the power button connected and got the same results. Powers on and right back off again????

Edited by spngbobis4me, 21 July 2014 - 07:52 PM.

#15 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:18 AM

That machine is nearing five years since production. I am hard pressed to believe that there is no heating issue (or was; we know this isn't an issue at this point in time). When the heatsink/fan assembly was removed, did one notice any fluff inside fan-housing?

I have seen one of these machines not power up with an OEM charger but would power up with a universal... go figure. I sold one of my universals and client was happy.

Looks like the only thing left is swap the CPU and/or try another charger. I have quite a few CPUs about and would be more than willing to give you one. Not sure how to arrange the logistics, but if interested we could work that out within private messages. I just can't see encouraging you to spend more $ on that laptop.

Edit: May be that the "This motherboard is pulled from a new, tested system." mobo is faulty: Seen that happen a couple time, too.

Who pulls a NEW motherboard out of a working system?

Edited by bludgard, 22 July 2014 - 01:23 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users