Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba P205 Display Drivers and Black Screen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 caelis

caelis

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:33 AM

Hi, I have a Toshiba Satellite P205-S6287. It came with Windows XP but I upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium, through Toshiba, slightly after the OS launch. I had the usually driver issues that others had with the launch, but resolved them all.  Over the last couple of years, every now and then, I will have the problem of an unresponsive black screen when I open the laptop.  In the past, I deleted the display drivers, reinstalled the original Toshiba drivers and the computer works fine. Last week there was a Windows update and it asked for a reboot. I didn’t have time and just shut the laptop.  When I opened it, I had the back screen problem again. This time I couldn’t get into safe mode.  I finally booted to DOS and regedit. Explorer.exe had been redirected, so I fixed that.  Once in safe mode, I deleted the display drivers. The computer booted but installed the Windows updates, including the display drivers. When I rebooted, it said that the updates couldn’t be installed and reverted to the original settings. I finally ended up leaving the display drivers installed but disabling them. That allowed Windows update to do its thing. No matter what I do now I am unable to install the correct display drivers. If I do, it boots to a Black Screen.  I am running with them disabled and using the Generic display drivers. The disabled drivers are listed twice in device manager as:

Mobile Intel® 945 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft  Corporation - WDDM 1.0)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,652 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:23 AM

The Toshiba Satellite P205-S6287 laptop came with Windows XP and it’s been upgraded to Windows 7 HP. “Over the last couple of years, every now and then, I will have the problem of an unresponsive black screen when I open the laptop.  In the past, I deleted the display drivers, reinstalled the original Toshiba drivers and the computer works fine”

--- Does this mean there were display issues when running XP as well as Win7 HP?

--- When you “reinstalled the original Toshiba drivers”, were you reinstalling the original XP drivers and continuing to do so while running Win7 HP?

--- Before upgrading to Win7 HP, did you run the Windows7 Upgrade Advisor?

--- If so what was the report on your graphics driver?

“Last week there was a Windows update and it asked for a reboot. I didn’t have time and just shut the laptop”

--- How did you shut it down?

--- Usually a normal shutdown when Windows Updates are needed, the WU’s automatically download and the computer shuts off

--- Then when starting back up the installs need to be completed

“I am running with them disabled and using the Generic display drivers”

--- This sounds to me like you are using a graphics card?

--- Is this the case?

--- If it is, what happens when you remove it?

“The disabled drivers are listed twice in device manager as:

Mobile Intel® 945 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft  Corporation - WDDM 1.0)”

--- What happens when you delete both of them and start the computer back up?

--- Do both of them automatically return?

Not knowing what display driver is actually being used, will this help?

Intel Display Driver for Windows 7 (32)

--- It’s for Toshiba Satellite P205-S6287

http://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=1702269

Good luck

#3 caelis

caelis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:44 PM

Thanks,

--- Does this mean there were display issues when running XP as well as Win7 HP?

The computer ran well with XP.  As I recall, I had a lot of drivers I had to download after the upgrade. If I remember, the display drivers were one of the drivers I needeed.

--- When you “reinstalled the original Toshiba drivers”, were you reinstalling the original XP drivers and continuing to do so while running Win7 HP?

No, it was the drivers provided by Toshiba’s website for Windows 7.

--- Before upgrading to Win7 HP, did you run the Windows7 Upgrade Advisor?

Yes I did and it advised the issues.

--- If so what was the report on your graphics driver?

I honestly don’t recall. It seems like I did the upgrade right before Christmas 2009.

--- How did you shut it down?

When I close the laptop it goes to sleep. Normally, I would open it and it would resume and prompt me to install the update or postpone. I opened the laptop to a black screen.

“I am running with them disabled and using the Generic display drivers”

If I uninstall them, device manager reinstalls them. The computer operates normally until I reboot.  Then I get the Black Screen at boot. If I disable them, it runs on Video controller (VGA compatible) and boots OK.

--- This sounds to me like you are using a graphics card?

It has integrated graphics, Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 with 8MB-256MB with dynamically allocated shared graphics memory

“The disabled drivers are listed twice in device manager as:

Mobile Intel® 945 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft  Corporation - WDDM 1.0)”

--- What happens when you delete both of them and start the computer back up?

It boots OK with Video controller (VGA compatible) listed in device manager. After a few minutes, it installs Mobile Intel® 945 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft  Corporation - WDDM 1.0)”

--- Do both of them automatically return?

Lately, only one.

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,652 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:39 PM

Even though Win7 is already installed on your laptop you can still run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and check out the report for your graphics driver

“It boots OK with Video controller (VGA compatible) listed in device manager”

--- Does this mean you do not have to go through Safe Mode?

After a few minutes, it installs Mobile Intel® 945 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft  Corporation - WDDM 1.0)”

--- Does it actually install or is it a slow boot up?

At any rate, consider going to http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect/graphics & following through on what needs to be done

Double check http://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=1702269 if the Intel idea doesn’t help

You have had the Black Screen issue since upgrading the XP OS to Win7 HP and it has progressively gotten worse. Your workaround worked ok for a while but now you need a better solution than a workaround. It sounds like the computer needs a “tune-up”. Do you have maintenance procedures to keep your computer well maintained?

Did you create a System Repair disc?

--- You might be able to conduct some troubleshooting to address whatever issues need to be addressed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users