Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Force screen output all the time?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 moselyt

moselyt

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:08 AM

I have an issue with my Vizio tv when trying to use it as a monitor for my computer where the computer thinks the screen is on when it is off and off when it is on. So when I turn my tv on the computer thinks it just turned off and the tv reads no input. If I reset my computer with the screen on it will then work and send a signal to the tv. This does not happen on my Sharp tv or Magnovox tv so I am assuming there is a problem with the Vizio tv but I am hoping I can solve it with the computer. I would like to force the computer to send a signal to the tv no matter what state it thinks the tv is in (off or on). Is this possible? I am using an hdmi output and the tv works fine with my comcast box using the same hdmi port.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:23 PM

Not knowing what kind of computer you have, all I can tell you is that I have a Dell Inspiron 620 desktop with HDMI out that connects fine to my 32" Vizio TV whether the TV is on or off when I power up the computer.  

Good luck. 

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:12 PM

I'd say that the problem lies with the TV.

The TV has variable input...as long as the proper input device is selected, then the TV should get a signal.  It the setting is correct, the device is properly connected and on...and your TV provides no output, the TV is the problem.

The computer is independent of any monitor device...if the system is operating properly, a video signal should go out once it is operative.  Whether received or not by a device, that signal should be sent continuiously.  That's why it's so easy to change or disconnect/reconnect a monitor to a system....that signal is constant as long as the system has properly booted.

Louis

#4 moselyt

moselyt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:13 AM

I realize that the problem is most likely with my tv as all my others work fine however I think the issue is that the tv sends the wrong signal to the computer so I hope I can override it computer side. When hooked up to speakers my computer makes a chime when the screen is turned on and a different chime when it is turned off. With the Vizio it usually plays the off chime when I turn it on and when I turn the tv off it plays the on chime. This combined with the fact that my comcast box has never had a problem sending video to my tv (even on the same hdmi port I'm currently using for my pc) makes me believe that my computer is not sending a signal to the tv when it thinks it is off. Is this incorrect? If so I don't understand why there is no problem with my comcast box. By the way I am running a Dell XPS 8500 with windows 8.1 64-bit. I appreciate the help.

#5 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:30 AM

Dell has a hardware forum you might want to check out.  My Dell Inspiron 620 powers up whether my Vizio TV (32" 2 years old) is powered on or not.  If I power the computer up first, the display comes on the TV when I power it up.  Vizio has support on its web site as well.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users