Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

6GB of RAM is considered "unbalanced"?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 So_Be

So_Be

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:12 AM

I was looking for a desktop and when I showed the specs to my friend, he said 6GB of ram is considered "unbalanced". Based from his explanation, I'd rather buy 4+4 instead of 4+2. I said I don't want to spend more since since I don't need 8gb. 

Is this really true? 

Oh, the memory I'm looking at is "6GB DDR3-1600MHz [2 DIMM ]"

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:14 AM

Yes. It is generally preferred to have the exact same RAM, in both size and model. If you can, go with 2 * 4GB sticks. :)

mYIGVc5.png

#3 So_Be

So_Be
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:27 AM

I wonder on what are the "side-effects" of 4+6 vs 4+4? I will be only using it for university stuff. MS Office, surfing, e-mail. minor photoshop and skyping. No games, music or youtube.

I really like to have an Intel i5 but the the min RAM that I've seen with i5 is 6GB (otherwise I'll prefer 4GB). I think 8GB is overkill based from my needs :-(

#4 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:14 AM

I would suggest 8GB with 64bit windows, and also it gives headroom for whatever you may need in the future. There are side-effects, but can be considered to be negligible. Currently, I'm using 6GB of RAM, but it's with running a MC server, and a bunch of other stuff open. :)

mYIGVc5.png

#5 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:30 AM

You pays your money and you takes your pick. Do whatever you want. I personally use the policy of "get as much RAM as you can". This is especially true of laptops.

But if you don't want to buy the extra RAM, that's OK too!

#6 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:31 AM

If your policy is to "get as much RAM as you can", then I suggest getting the same type of RAM, not unbalanced ones.

mYIGVc5.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users