Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help With New Gaming Laptop

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bigshu

Bigshu

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 31 May 2006 - 11:14 AM

Hey all I'm in the market to buy a new gaming laptop. Need the mobility as I travel alot for work so I need a portable, although weight and stuff is not important. I am leaning toward a Dell XPS with the following specs but not sure what i should upgrade for the best performance within my budget. Which of the following upgrades will give me the best performance (really can only afford one upgrade). Mostly play MMORPGs (Lineage 2, WOW, DDO) , but some other gaming also. Thanks in advance.

XPS M1710 Intel® Core™ Duo Processor T2400 (2MB Cache/1.83GHz/667MHz FSB)

*****upgrade option 1*****T2500 (2MB Cache/2GHz/667MHz FSB) [ Add $164.00 ]

Operating System- Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005

LCD Panel 17 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen UXGA Display with TrueLife

Memory 1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHZ, 2 DIMM

*****upgrade option 2****** 2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHZ, 2 DIMM [ Add $184.50 ]

Combo/DVD+RW Drives Featured Upgd-8XCD/DVD Burner(DVD+/-RW)w/dble-layer DVD+R write capability

Video Card 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7900 GS

Sound Options Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy® ADVANCED HD Audio

Hard Drive 60GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive

*******upgrade option 3********100GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive [ Add $176.30]

Wireless Networking Cards Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 802.11a/g Mini Card (54Mbps)

Edited by Bigshu, 31 May 2006 - 12:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 31 May 2006 - 06:18 PM

IMHO, I would probably go for the RAM. I don't OC any of my PCs, but I can't see that an extra 0.17 GHz doing THAT much, compared to the performane increase out of a whole extra GB of RAM - particularly DDRII.

Obviously if you had the choice, do both the CPU and RAM... 60GB of storage should be enough (I don't see how they can charge a whole $176.30 for only 40GB extra..? Does that seem weird to anyone? (Is it in $AUS or $US?)) unless you are going to be doing a whole lot of photography.....
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 31 May 2006 - 06:28 PM

What's true with laptops is you pay more and get less. Except for the convenience part. Laptops are convenient!

So getting a 100 GB hard drive is EXPENSIVE in a laptop if you compare the price of 100 GB in tower. And usually not needed on a laptop. I don't know if it is true in your case, but typically a laptop is not used as a main computer. It is usually an auxillary computer. Or at least you get a docking station, and connect a full size screen, keyboard, mouse and external hard drive for use when you are at home.

If your games call for more RAM than 1GB, then go for the extra RAM. If 1GB of RAM is enough to run your games, then go for the processer power. It will be noticably faster due to the faster CPU. And most folks don't need 1 GB of RAM, let alone 2 GBs! I have 1 GB on my computer, but that is only because I am a manly man! :thumbsup: Seriously, my other thought is that it is 1) easier to upgrade the RAM in the future than it would be to upgrade the CPU, and 2) the cost of RAM will only come down in the future.

That's my 2 cents on how to spend your 2 grand!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 31 May 2006 - 06:35 PM

Actually, Frank raises a prety good damn point there, comparatively RAM is easy to upgrade (D'OH), and I forgot that teh processor is Dual Core, so you're probably getting more with less.....
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 31 May 2006 - 07:11 PM

The processor.
Ram can be added later.

I don't know what you are paying, but take a look at this:
http://www.alienware.com/product_pages/not...ll_default.aspx

Click on the select button on the Aurora series unless your budget can go upscale from there.
http://www.alienware.com/product_detail_pa...ode=SKU-DEFAULT
The AMD processors are faster for gaming than comparable Intels.

I believe Alienware was just bought by Dell and it is its premium line.

Edited by Enthusiast, 31 May 2006 - 07:13 PM.

#6 Bigshu

Bigshu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 10:57 AM

Thanks for the replys. I'm sure your right that Processor would be a good choice, as I could upgrade my RAM later.

And yes I do have a desktop at home that is used for most of my storage, so I guess really the Hard drive space is not as needed either.

Looks like I may have missed out on the offer I was looking at for the XPS, so I will be looking at similar options from Alienware.

Next question is, if XPS and Alienware with same config is about the same price which is a better processor

-Intel® Core™ Duo Processor T2400 (2MB Cache/1.83GHz/667MHz FSB)

-AMD Turion™ 64 Mobile ML34 1.8GHz 800MHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache

Thanks again for the info.

Edit.....saw what you said about AMD being faster but is it still better than the Intel Duo?

Edited by Bigshu, 01 June 2006 - 10:59 AM.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 11:14 AM

AMD has the reputation of being faster for gaming, but it depends on which chip cpmpared to which chip.

One thing Alienware has available are laptops that use the desktop AMD 64 FX top of the line cpus, real graphics cards (some with two), and other things for very serious gaming like dual sata raid.

You need to research what you want and weigh it against what you can afford. I was just offering another possibility.

#8 Bigshu

Bigshu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 03:09 PM

OK, looked at my options and Alienware systems can't compare to the price that I will be getting for the XPS (new special started). Actually the price came down so I will be able to afford two upgrades.

Option 1- upgrade from 1.8GHz to 2.0GHz

&

Option 2- upgrade from 1GB to 2GB RAM

or

For about the same price as two other upgrades I can leave them as is and upgrade:

256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7900 GS

to

512MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7900 GTX

With my limited knowledge I would suppose that the Graphics Card would be the way to go since I can get the RAM later. But will not upgrading the processor limit my capabilities?

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 04:29 PM

I would go for the processor first, the video card second, and the ram third.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users