Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble installing Windows XP?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Gloaten

Gloaten

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:16 PM

This is my Tom's Hardware thread that I have not gotten any legitimate help on:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2224937/troubles-installing-windows.html#13750147

Can someone please read that and try and help me? Much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:59 AM

Hello and Welcome,

If I had to take a guess it would be that your SATA controllers are set to AHCI which XP cannot detect. Is AHCI enabled in BIOS? Do you get a 0X0000007B stop error when the screen blue screens? What does the error say?

#3 Gloaten

Gloaten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:00 AM

Hello and Welcome,

If I had to take a guess it would be that your SATA controllers are set to AHCI which XP cannot detect. Is AHCI enabled in BIOS? Do you get a 0X0000007B stop error when the screen blue screens? What does the error say?

Here are two other threads I made: 

http://whosgamingnow.com/discussion/505/pc-troubleshooting

http://www.planetminecraft.com/forums/trouble-installing-windows-t418873-12.html

Any comments on advice given?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,950 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:56 AM

There were some excellent suggestions in at the PC troubleshooting Forum. I would stay with the PC troubleshooting thread. Give the responder some time before expecting an answer. Having multiple threads open on different forums only leads to trouble.

In the other Forum you posted:

Oh okay I changed it to ide mode and it seemed to work! Thanks a bunch

#5 Gloaten

Gloaten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:28 AM

There were some excellent suggestions in at the PC troubleshooting Forum. I would stay with the PC troubleshooting thread. Give the responder some time before expecting an answer. Having multiple threads open on different forums only leads to trouble.

In the other Forum you posted:

Oh okay I changed it to ide mode and it seemed to work! Thanks a bunch

Yeah, it does work, but he's saying that may force me to reinstall Windows 7 and things like that. is that the case?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,950 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:52 AM

If you boot Windows 7 with IDE mode enabled and it bluescreens, you would have to change your BIOS to AHCI or IDE mode depending on which OS you want to boot. And in BIOS you would change which HDD you want to boot from.

#7 Gloaten

Gloaten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:02 AM

If you boot Windows 7 with IDE mode enabled and it bluescreens, you would have to change your BIOS to AHCI or IDE mode depending on which OS you want to boot. And in BIOS you would change which HDD you want to boot from.

So, essentially I have to change my Bios depending on which OS I want to boot?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,950 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:08 AM

Yes. Other than changing the Boot Manager on Windows 7 which can lead to other problems, changing the BIOS is the way to go.

#9 Gloaten

Gloaten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:41 AM

Yes. Other than changing the Boot Manager on Windows 7 which can lead to other problems, changing the BIOS is the way to go.

Okay.

#10 redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:07 AM

gloaten, i don't know what you will decide to do but something that hasn't been mentioned is that another option is to install the needed AHCI drivers.. then you wouldn't need to switch the settings in the "bios," enabling "IDE compatibility mode"..

the AHCI drivers are needed for when using SATA harddrives, as opposed to when using the "old" IDE harddrives..

so, if you want to install the ACHI drivers, for your motherboard, you can look into that..

i went to the MSI website and pulled up the manual for your motherboard, but, unfortunately, i didn't see anything in the manual about installing the AHCI drivers, for when installing "windows xp".. in my opinion, that information should have been included in the manual, but it wasn't.. the manual did discuss installing intel RAID drivers, but i don't think that the intel RAID drivers that it was talking about are the same thing as the AHCI drivers..

if you are interested in installing the AHCI drivers, look into how to do that..

one thing that i can tell you is that the AHCI drivers can only be installed from a floppy drive.. in your case, you probably will have to use an external USB-connected floppy disk drive.. MSI has some information about that..

i did have some difficulty pulling up information at the MSI support website.. still, if it was me, i would try to get information from there, about how to install the AHCI drivers, for when installing "windows xp"..

here is some info that i pulled up, about installing the AHCI drivers, when installing windows xp:

http://superuser.com/questions/427340/how-to-enable-ahci-in-windows-xp-without-reinstalling

http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&source=hp&q=installing+ahci+drivers+windows+xp&btnG=Google+Search&gbv=1

p.s. in your earlier posts, in other forums, you were saying that you couldn't figure out how to adjust the bios settings, for your motherboard.. well, you could have looked up information about that at the motherboard manufacturer's website, if needed..

you ask for help, here.. what kind of help are you wanting? you already were told how to adjust the bios settings, in order to get windows xp to function..

Edited by redwolfe_98, 24 July 2014 - 11:55 AM.

#11 Gloaten

Gloaten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:35 AM

gloaten, i don't know what you will decide to do but something that hasn't been mentioned is that another option is to install the needed AHCI drivers.. then you wouldn't need to switch the settings in the "bios," enabling "IDE compatibility mode"..

the AHCI drivers are needed for when using SATA harddrives, as opposed to when using the "old" IDE harddrives..

so, if you want to install the ACHI drivers, for your motherboard, you can look into that..

i went to the MSI website and pulled up the manual for your motherboard, but, unfortunately, i didn't see anything in the manual about installing the AHCI drivers, for when installing "windows xp".. in my opinion, that information should have been included in the manual, but it wasn't.. the manual did discuss installing intel RAID drivers, but i don't think that the intel RAID drivers that it was talking about are the same thing as the AHCI drivers..

if you are interested in installing the AHCI drivers, look into how to do that..

one thing that i can tell you is that the AHCI drivers can only be installed from a floppy drive.. in your case, you probably will have to use an external USB-connected harddrive.. MSI has some information about that..

i did have some difficulty pulling up information at the MSI support website.. still, if it was me, i would try to get information from there, about how to install the AHCI drivers, for when installing "windows xp"..

here is some info that i pulled up, about installing the AHCI drivers, when installing windows xp:

http://superuser.com/questions/427340/how-to-enable-ahci-in-windows-xp-without-reinstalling

http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&source=hp&q=installing+ahci+drivers+windows+xp&btnG=Google+Search&gbv=1

p.s. in your earlier posts, in other forums, you were saying that you couldn't figure out how to adjust the bios settings, for your motherboard.. well, you could have looked up information about that at the motherboard manufacturer's website, if needed..

you ask for help, here.. what kind of help are you wanting? you already were told how to adjust the bios settings, in order to get windows xp to function..

Here: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2231466/windows-slipstreaming-question.html#13788513

I figured out what I needed to do, but there's on other issue. Can you please read that thread and help me out if you can? It's a short one.

#12 redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:42 PM

if you are having trouble "activating" windows xp, i think you should contact microsoft, to resolve that.. you said you already tried that and that the person that you talked to blew you off, saying they couldn't help you.. well, i would call them back again.. keep calling until you finally talk to someone who actually is helpful.. that is what i do, in those situations..

look at this webpage:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enterprise/end-of-support.aspx

from the webpage:

Frequently Asked Questions

Can Windows XP still be activated after April 8, 2014?

Windows XP can still be installed and activated after end of support. Computers running Windows XP will still work but they won’t receive any Microsoft Updates or be able to leverage technical support. Activations will still be required for retail installations of Windows XP after this date as well.

p.s. i don't know how you were able to buy "windows xp" from "amazon" when you cannot even buy "windows 7" from amazon, not the retail version..

Edited by redwolfe_98, 24 July 2014 - 12:56 PM.

#13 Gloaten

Gloaten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:06 PM

if you are having trouble "activating" windows xp, i think you should contact microsoft, to resolve that.. you said you already tried that and that the person that you talked to blew you off, saying they couldn't help you.. well, i would call them back again.. keep calling until you finally talk to someone who actually is helpful.. that is what i do, in those situations..

look at this webpage:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enterprise/end-of-support.aspx

from the webpage:

Frequently Asked Questions

Can Windows XP still be activated after April 8, 2014?

Windows XP can still be installed and activated after end of support. Computers running Windows XP will still work but they won’t receive any Microsoft Updates or be able to leverage technical support. Activations will still be required for retail installations of Windows XP after this date as well.

p.s. i don't know how you were able to buy "windows xp" from "amazon" when you cannot even buy "windows 7" from amazon, not the retail version..

Bought an unused OEM copy. The key worked before I started having this issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users