Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

1st post: Do all free AV's suck?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 msteeln

msteeln

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:58 PM

I've tried all the 'name' anti virus' and just gave up trying to load Norton 360 again as over 2 hrs. to dl seems odd, but only Norton has been effective to any degree, everything else says things are just fine when obviously things are already very junked up even tho I've just gotten a new hard drive and full memory from the repair shop last week.
AVG wasn't great 2 years back and it's hard to completely uninstall, Avast typically ignored major issues despite the repaiman saying it was the only thing to bother with, Widows Security Essentials can't complete updates, Windows Defender is rather worthless, and on and on.
Is there ANYTHING free that actually does the friggin job?
Thanx guys/gals!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:01 PM

360 Total Security

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:18 PM

It will be hard for anyone to help much without knowing what it is about free AVs that makes you say they "suck". I've mostly used Avast Free, and with dozens of installations on my own (5 ) and friends and associates systems, I've not been aware of it ignoring any major "issues". Bearing in mind that the sole purpose of an AV is to guard the system against infection, are you expecting the AV to deal with other issues beyond its capability?

Also it would be good to know the detail of how the system is obviously junked up, are you saying a clean Windows installation on a new hard drive from a repairer is already infected? Or is this from downloading, trying and uninstalling multiple AV packages? That can end up messy, particularly since security software can try to protect itself from malicious uninstall, and may need specific uninstall procedures or a dedicated cleanup package. Also multiple AVs can conflict, so if one uninstall has failed or only been partially successful, left-over components can clash with an active AV.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:33 PM

everything else says things are just fine when obviously things are already very junked

If you suspect Malware issues on your PC, Please read this and follow the instructions.

Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help

Also multiple AVs can conflict

+1

I wonder if a speccy snapshot of the OP's PC would help?

Download speccy and post the link here then we can look at whats installed etc.

Speccy

:welcome:  To BC.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:40 PM

No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear and it takes time for them to be reported, samples collected, analyzed, and tested by anti-virus researchers before they can add a new threat to database definitions. Further, if you're dealing with zero-day malware it's unlikely the anti-virus is going to detect anything. Malware writers have the advantage since no matter how hard security vendors attempt to stay on top of new threats, there is always a short time-frame in which a new malicious file goes undetected and can infect a computer without detection. Just because one anti-virus or anti-malware scanner detected threats that another missed, does not mean its more effective. Every security vendor's lab and program scanning engine is different. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware.

Keep in mind that no amount of security software is going to defend against today's sophisticated malware writers for those who do not practice safe computing and stay informed. It has been proven time and again that the user is a more substantial factor in security than the architecture of the operating system or installed protection software. Security begins with personal responsibility and following Best Practices for Safe Computing. Knowledge and the ability to use it is the best defensive tool anyone can have.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:33 AM

You mean that you try installing AV on an infected PC?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#7 manhjohn

manhjohn

• Banned Spammer
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:48 AM

I have been using Avira free for over 3 years. It's all good so I don't have any plan about purchasing the commercial version. Without an AV, my PC cannot run longer than 3 weeks. But remember, don't install more than one AV and always keep your AV up to date. Hope this helps.

#8 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:05 AM

No AV - be it free or paid - effectively guards against the most common cause of computer virus/malware problems: The 1Delta10Tango error ...IMHO. :wink:

What commonly causes this error can range from simply failing to turn the computer on or plugging it in, to deleting an important system file, and oftentimes due to downloading malware and viruses without knowledge of what comes in packaged downloads. (Smileys, Signatures, Email Backgrounds...etc.)

Edited by Union_Thug, 20 July 2014 - 08:48 AM.

#9 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:56 PM

I have been using Avira free for over 3 years. It's all good so I don't have any plan about purchasing the commercial version. Without an AV, my PC cannot run longer than 3 weeks. But remember, don't install more than one AV and always keep your AV up to date. Hope this helps.

You may chisel every word in stone! Sometimes it's the payware suites that can disappoint. I've always advised getting the best-in-breed freeware you're comfortable with. Lurk in these sub-forums long enough, follow the good advice, and you are now your own computer expert.

I thought I read somewhere that an un-protected Windows system could be infected in as little as 35 seconds after a computer's direct connection to the ISP.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#10 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:27 PM

I thought I read somewhere that an un-protected Windows system could be infected in as little as 35 seconds after a computer's direct connection to the ISP.

That's true for an unpatched Windows XP system, not for an unprotected system.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:31 PM

Another thing....when choosing an anti-virus program, firewall or any other security software, availability of quality/prompt technical support from the vendor is always a consideration. Lack of adequate Customer Support in addressing issues related to the use of a vendor's product is one reason folks look for other alternatives.

#12 msteeln

msteeln
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:35 PM

I wonder if a speccy snapshot of the OP's PC would help?

Download speccy and post the link here then we can look at whats installed etc.

Speccy

:welcome:  To BC.

Thanx, Sir, and to all,

I'm installing the speccy and will report back asap.
I might be end running the matter momentarily with uploading Ubuntu and foregoing IE and M/FF for the most part, or completely if Ubuntu is dreamy. A friend says buggers don't mess with Ubuntu much since it's the small fry in OSland.
My main focus in net travels is 'bad' sites so I'm constantly bombarded with the kitchen sink from foreign free domain music providers, but I gotta do it and need good protection, or a better dodge.

Edited by msteeln, 21 July 2014 - 03:35 PM.

#13 msteeln

msteeln
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:58 PM

How best to report/post the speccy results?

CPU 74 C

Motherboard 64 C

Hard drives 40 C

Just noticed Windows Defender is off again without being turned off and will not facilitate it's being turned back on.

Do viruses corrupt operations like this?

#14 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:08 PM

Is there ANYTHING free that actually does the friggin job?

My main focus in net travels is 'bad' sites so I'm constantly bombarded with the kitchen sink... and need good protection, or a better dodge.

Just noticed Windows Defender is off again without being turned off and will not facilitate it's being turned back on.
Do viruses corrupt operations like this?

***FACEPALM***

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:35 PM

My main focus in net travels is 'bad' sites so I'm constantly bombarded with the kitchen sink from foreign free domain music providers, but I gotta do it and need good protection, or a better dodge.

Although not free, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Malicious Website Blocking (IP Protection) is part of the Protection Module in the Premium (Pro) version and works after it is enabled. When attempting to go to a potential malicious website, Malwarebytes will block the attempt and provide an alert. An outgoing IP alert indicates that a process on the system tried to load a malicious IP and was prevented from loading content.

If you want more information about Malicious Website Blocking (IP Protection), please refer to:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users