Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RMA In Hand, USB Problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Biffmo

Biffmo

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:07 PM

Mod Edit:  Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/530424/usb-ports-on-mobo-and-on-case-wired-onto-board-not-working/page-0 - Hamluis.

Hi, I share a similar problem and have already received an RMA but that would mean losing my computer for awhile :(

Also do not forget to inspect inside of the computer look on the motherboard where the front usb ports plug in (usb header on the board). Inspect the open usb headers as well. I have seen some bent usb header pins on a board, the usb ports were not working. The pins were touching (shorting), I bent them straight so they were no longer shorting and it all worked again.

I am somewhat a noob and I did build this myself, so are you saying that it might not be the mobo but just some pins???

Thanks for reply.

Edited by hamluis, 18 July 2014 - 06:13 PM.
PM sent new OP - Hamluis.

Windows xp sp3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:14 AM

Biffmo, I recommend posting a new thread to address your problem. You can post it in internal hardware.

Yes it can be bent pins that are shorting which can potentially cause all USB ports to fail. Biffmo, did you recently build this computer? Sometimes people building their first computer forget to put motherboard standouts in the case. The standouts screw into the case and create a space about 1/4 inch to prevent the main board from shorting against the metal case side.

If your usb ports do not work, the entire post below is valid for you to try. Unplug all usb devices except a keyboard and try to get into bios.

It might be a good idea to first: visually inspect all of the USB ports for damaged pins or shorting pins. It is easily possible to plug in usb flash drives or cords inocrrectly and damage/bend pins so they short. A single bad usb port could be affecting all of them, I see this all the time. They might not RMA the board if it has a physically damaged USB port, I have never sent a board in due to this so I can not say for certain.

If no pins are bent or shorting in any of the usb ports, test a keyboard to try and get in the bios as others have mentioned. If no usb port works with a keyboard at a bios level, your board has a problem and you should be able to rma it if it is still under warranty.

Also do not forget to inspect inside of the computer look on the motherboard where the front usb ports plug in (usb header on the board). Inspect the open usb headers as well. I have seen some bent usb header pins on a board, the usb ports were not working. The pins were touching (shorting), I bent them straight so they were no longer shorting and it all worked again.

Edited by zingo156, 18 July 2014 - 07:15 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users