Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scandisk/master, Slave Problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Rebel63

Rebel63

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 31 May 2006 - 10:46 AM

Ok this has driven me crazy for like 7 months :thumbsup: . Someone messed up my computer settings (the ones where you can press delete for setup) and i don't have a clue of what they are supposed to be set at. When/if i do get pass it, it goes into Scandisk thingy and it gets to about the 6th row and then says "Out of Memory" or something like that and it says that i cant continue. Then the freakin thing restarts and does this over and over and over again. Once, i got into safe mode (finally) and then i didn't know what i should do so i had to shut it down. Can someone please help me with this?

Mod Edit~ E-mail addy's removed to protect the member from Spambots.

I would greatly appreciate if you could help.

Edited by Pandy, 31 May 2006 - 12:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 31 May 2006 - 11:57 AM

Getting into your computer settings using the delete key isn't likely to be something someone could mess up, since it's an integral part of your computer's BIOS. (Not anything to do with your hard drive.) The trick is to tap the delete key repeatedly at the appropriate time during boot-up.

It sounds as if your hard drive may be full, or you may have a memory problem. If you got into Safe Mode, it's more likely that you were tapping the F8 key, which is the more commonly-used key to enter the boot menu, where you can choose command line, Safe Mode, etc.

If you can get into Safe Mode again, you need to check to see how much room you have on your hard drive, and if you don't have a comfortable amount of free space for Windows to use, you need to clean up some things.

I'd start by cleaning up temp files - if you haven't done it, they may be taking up a lot of space. From Safe Mode, go to Start -> Run and type:

%temp%

in the box that appears and hit enter. That should bring up a folder with temp files. Select all by pressing the control key and the a key at the same time. (ctrl +a). Then hold down the shift key and press the delete key and answer yes to delete all the files. Depending on how much space they're using, you may free up some room. Then take a look at programs you aren't using and go to Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel (Start -> Settings -> Control Panel) and uninstall them. If you have a lot of music files or picture files and they're backed up elsewhere, clean them off until you have perhaps a gigabyte of free space. (This is assuming you're running Windows ME or Windows 98.)

Then see if you can run Scandisk and if it finishes by going to My Computer, right-click on the C: drive and choose Properties. Go to the tools tab and run error-checking. Make sure "Automatically Fix Errors" is checked. On the chance that the hard drive may be failing, it would be a good idea to also check the surface scan, though this will be likely to take a long time to complete.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users