Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PartedMagic sees drive but.....

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Ocsi'c

Ocsi'c

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:03 PM

I have a friends hard drive (Seagate 750GB SATA) that appears in windows as a RAW drive. This was a primary boot drive in an Acer Aspire tower. Needless to say the computer won't boot so I connected the drive to one of my working Win7 computers with a USB adapter. I booted with PartedMagic CD but the suspect drive is only detected as "unknown" is DiskHealth. Testdrive will only return read errors. Short of professional data recovery services, is there anything else I can try to get the data off the drive? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,297 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:21 PM

Because you have a Seagate drive connected on a Windows 7 computer through the USB adapter download Seatools for Windows and see if it detects the drive. Reconnect the drive to the adapter and try a different USB port on the computer, preferably one on the back.

If the drive is connected internally, you can use Seatools for Dos  and do the long test which has the ability to try sector repair. The BIOS should be set to IDE mode if it is currently AHCI.

#3 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:12 AM

I'm quite sure Disk Management in control panel, should recognise and format RAW drive file-formats. Anyway, have you tried a tutorial like this? (After testing JohnC's method)

You could have screwed partition tables, etc.

http://html5.litten.com/how-to-fix-external-disk-drive-suddenly-became-raw/

mYIGVc5.png

#4 Ocsi'c

Ocsi'c
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:56 AM

@JohnC_21

Thanx, forgot about the old drive manufacturer software. Will give it a try later today.

@Ezzah

Thanx for the suggestions. I don't want to format the drive as this will make getting the data on it that much more difficult. The tutorial link is where I learned of PartedMagic and when i try this I get nothing but read errors. That said, maybe I wasn't patient enough and should have proceeded to a "deeper scan"

#5 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:00 AM

Do you have another HDD, that you can boot off of? Boot of it, and then access files of this HDD to make backups?

mYIGVc5.png

#6 Ocsi'c

Ocsi'c
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:07 AM

Nice thought Ezzah, but as I originally stated I have the drive connected to another computer and it is unreadable not just unbootable.

#7 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:08 AM

Ah sorry for not seeing. :3 Unreadable as in, you can't see it in disk management, or BIOS?

mYIGVc5.png

#8 Ocsi'c

Ocsi'c
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:11 AM

No disk management sees it, but doesn't recognize exactly what it is hence the RAW staus it displays for the drive.

#9 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:13 AM

http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Try recuva, it does a good job at recovering lost files, even in RAW.

mYIGVc5.png

#10 Ocsi'c

Ocsi'c
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:15 AM

Will try later today, have to go setup a new computer this morning.

#11 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:16 AM

No problems mate. I understand that you want to retrieve the files, but the HDD is going to be discarded, not saved?

mYIGVc5.png

#12 Ocsi'c

Ocsi'c
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:33 PM

Well, no love from either Seagate Tools or Recuva. Keep getting FAILS and I/O errors. Think the drive is pooched.

#13 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:16 AM

The drive is definitely dead, if it can't be reachable at all. I would suggest attempting a backup, and get a new drive.

mYIGVc5.png

#14 Frozwire

Frozwire

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:10 PM

Well, no love from either Seagate Tools or Recuva. Keep getting FAILS and I/O errors. Think the drive is pooched.

You might still be able to get an image/clone of that drive using ddrescue. And try to do the data recovery using Testdisk/Photorec from the image/clone that you got.

"Encryption...is a powerful defensive weapon for free people. It offers a technical guarantee of privacy, regardless of who is running the government... It's hard to think of a more powerful, less dangerous tool for liberty...” - Esther Dyson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users