Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux newb need some assistance & general questions.

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:27 PM

Hi I'm kid of new to Linux & Unix. (I manly lack experience)

So my first question is how exactly do I instal the drivers for my Edimax wireless adapter?

My second question, how to properly install Linux to a USB HDD and does the method vary depending on what distro your working with?

I would like to have a light discussion about the best security solutions for Linux? (Firewall, Antivirus, Antimalware/Antispyware, Keyboard&clipboard encryption, app virtualiztion software AKA sandboxing)

And please feel free to mention some of your favorite open source apps & games like media players/image viewers or anything else for that matter. :)

Edited by SuperSapien64, 18 July 2014 - 05:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,682 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:14 PM

I would like to have a light discussion about the best security solutions for Linux? (Firewall,

Open terminal and type.

sudo ufw enable 

That's it that's all you need. This will enable your firewall, And when linux is installed will create a script starting your firewall each time you boot up.

So my first question is how exactly do I instal the drivers for my Edimax wireless adapter?

You may find Linux will auto detect the adapter. Best way to try this is to boot your pc from a Live disk.

How To Make A Linux Live CD - YouTube

Antivirus

I do not use it, Most users of Linux do not use any antivirus. No Need there are no Viruses for Linux that I know of at this time.

Antimalware/Antispyware,

What's that? As far as I am aware there is no linux software for this.

encryption,

When you install Linux it will offer to encrypt your home folder, Say yes record your encryption key, Thats it.

AKA sandboxing

LinuxSandboxing - Google Code

media players

The Five Best Linux Video Players | Linux.com

Edited by NickAu1, 18 July 2014 - 06:16 PM.

#3 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 738 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:15 PM

I would like to have a light discussion about the best security solutions for Linux? (Firewall,

Open terminal and type.

sudo ufw enable 

That's it that's all you need. This will enable your firewall, And when linux is installed will create a script starting your firewall each time you boot up.

Are there any Linux firewalls which have behavioral shields (Heruristics/HIPS) or is this currently irrelevant for Linux users?

You may find Linux will auto detect the adapter. Best way to try this is to boot your pc from a Live disk.

How To Make A Linux Live CD - YouTube

Thanks but I've already have done this from a thumbdrive with YUMI and none the distros I've tried so far have the divers pre-installed.

Antivirus

I do not use it, Most users of Linux do not use any antivirus. No Need there are no Viruses for Linux that I know of at this time.

Not so if your booting along side Windows cause malwre could spread to other partition. And I don't mean to correct you but any distro can be exploited but usually this is done by exploiting common browser pluggins but there's debate whether or not Windows is a poplar target for software crackers just look at Android OS another very popular target for browser pluggin exploits and Android is based on Linux.

And as Linux continues to gain popularity thanks in part to distro such as Steam OS will eventually see an increase in the number of exploits for Linux, fortunately Linux & Unix are over all more secure as compared to Windows so recovering from an infection usually is relatively easy.  

Antimalware/Antispyware,

What's that? As far as I am aware there is no linux software for this.

encryption,

When you install Linux it will offer to encrypt your home folder, Say yes record your encryption key, Thats it.

Which is nice because prior to Windows 8 it was extremely easy and simple to bypass the admin account login for Windows, but Linux and other non-Microsoft distros have had this for years now. But that's not exactly what I was referring to. I'm curious if there are any antikey loogging apps for Linux just in case you might accidentally install something which loads keyloggers on your system?

AKA sandboxing

LinuxSandboxing - Google Code

Sweet because I'm aware of Sandfox but from what I'm reading from this link there's already a actively enabled sandbox feature built into most Linux distros, so here another quick question does the sandbox feature have full integration with booth 32 & 64 bit kernels and can it deny process in the sandbox admin/root access?

media players

The Five Best Linux Video Players | Linux.com

I'll check some of those out thanks for the suggestions, Well the VLC Mdeai Player I'm familiar with but I'm not quite sure about Miro Player I know the Windows version has issues with intrusive adware.

By the way what you recomend for image/photo viewers?

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:21 AM

By default, your Linux OS will have one image/photo viewer installed, however you can add more from the Software Manager. 

As to Miro, the Windows version is different, it's ad supported. Not so on Linux. However I also use VLC Media Player & love it for the free music content alone. You also have the XBMC option. 

http://xbmc.org/download/

As to some of your other questions, yes most certainly enable ufw Firewall, as Nick has pointed out. 

Though I run ClamTK on some of my Linux OS's & ESET NOD32 AV for Unices on my main Linux Mint install, it's optional & not required. ClamTK is simply a scanner, while the NOD32 software is realtime protection. I have it "just in case" of the unusual event that a Linux infection shows up. While it's unlikely, it's not impossible either. There is no such thing as an 100% guaranteed infection proof OS. If there were & the Linux developers pushed this, people would be flocking to get Linux. 

Plus in the Software Manager, there's over 40,000 software choices, most 100% free, something for everyone. Many of which performs the same functions as the Windows equivalent, only better. One reason, no ads or unsightly toolbars. 

Let us know if you need further assistance.  :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 738 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:56 AM

By default, your Linux OS will have one image/photo viewer installed, however you can add more from the Software Manager. 

As to Miro, the Windows version is different, it's ad supported. Not so on Linux. However I also use VLC Media Player & love it for the free music content alone. You also have the XBMC option. 

http://xbmc.org/download/

As to some of your other questions, yes most certainly enable ufw Firewall, as Nick has pointed out. 

Though I run ClamTK on some of my Linux OS's & ESET NOD32 AV for Unices on my main Linux Mint install, it's optional & not required. ClamTK is simply a scanner, while the NOD32 software is realtime protection. I have it "just in case" of the unusual event that a Linux infection shows up. While it's unlikely, it's not impossible either. There is no such thing as an 100% guaranteed infection proof OS. If there were & the Linux developers pushed this, people would be flocking to get Linux. 

Plus in the Software Manager, there's over 40,000 software choices, most 100% free, something for everyone. Many of which performs the same functions as the Windows equivalent, only better. One reason, no ads or unsightly toolbars. 

Let us know if you need further assistance.  :)

Cat

Thanks, but like I mentioned from the beginning I'm just moderately familiar with Linux from researching and live bootable environments I've tried and I have next to no proper experience with Linux excluding Android OS. On that note I've tried Ubuntu before and recently Linux Mint, Slako and the awesome Elementary OS  which sadly doesn't work so great with my desktop system but works just fine with my Laptop but I'm sure eventually the Elementary team will optimize so that it will work properly with most hardware, and yes I know Linux or pretty much any distro these days have pre-installed media apps something I love about Linux is that apparently most of the stock photo/image viewers seem to support animated gifs sometimes even video formats like MP4 heck they even have a basic lightweight photo editor built in. Well I have two other pressing concerns which I need to some assistance with first, once there resolved I would love to hear your or NickAu1 opinions on what distro might might fit me best.

RoboLinux certainly looks pretty sweet. :thumbup2:

What I like focus on now is how to install or at least copy Linux to a external HDD much like how you can stall it to a usb thumbdrive and also how to install wireless drivers in Linux.

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,682 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:29 AM

once there resolved I would love to hear your or NickAu1 opinions on what distro might might fit me best.

Pc spec's please.

#7 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 738 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:49 AM

once there resolved I would love to hear your or NickAu1 opinions on what distro might might fit me best.

Pc spec's please.

Sure i54570 CPU, DDR3-16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 760.

About me: I'm a customization enthusiasts moderate to heavy web surfer games types I like and tend to play RPGs, Simulations, Action/Adventure, Strategy.   

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,682 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:08 AM

In a Word Kubuntu x64, This is  Liux on steroids . This is the top of the range Linux forget Zorin etc, You have a hi end machine like me go for the best, Download the ISO burn it to DVD or USB and try it as a live boot first you will love it.

http://www.kubuntu.org/

This is my KDE.

http://youtu.be/XyDm_lcn0cs

Edited by NickAu1, 21 July 2014 - 04:16 AM.

#9 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 738 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:16 AM

In a Word Kubuntu x64, This is  Liux on steroids . This is the top of the range Linux forget Zorin etc, You have a hi end machine like me go for the best, Download the ISO burn it to DVD or USB and try it as a live boot first you will love it.

http://www.kubuntu.org/

This is my KDE.

http://youtu.be/XyDm_lcn0cs

I've heard good things about Kubuntu though I don't recall if it supports rolling updates or not. And I don't care for Ubuntu's adware namely the Amazon integrated software center this is why I was leaning towards something like Mint or Elementary OS.

By the way is there any chance if you load infected files into Linux with quality AV with real-time shields that it could spread to the Windows partition? And would it be possible to unmount Linux from the Windows partition or is this only possible from a live environment? 

I'm also intrigued about the built-in (VirtualBox) Virtual Machine feature in RoboLinux it now allows you to copy/transfer your Windows installation over to what appears to a modified version of VirtualBox optimized for this purpose, I would love to know if this exact type feature can be implemented in Kubuntu? I already know some of the basics of how to install software in VB but what Robo is offering sounds really fascinating including the secure backup/restore feature they've developed for VB. :thumbsup:   

#10 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:00 AM

KaOS, then.

Normally, I do not care for all the eye-candy and integrated bs of KDE, but this is an exceptional rendition, IMHO

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

#11 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 738 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:39 PM

KaOS, then.

Normally, I do not care for all the eye-candy and integrated bs of KDE, but this is an exceptional rendition, IMHO

Thanks this also looks nice but KaOS is 64bit only which might limit the number of apps available for me. Either way booth Kubuntu & KaOS look very impressive perhaps I'll install booth. And I apologize if I came off as kinda pretentious I'm just a little concerned that it might have some of the data-mining issues that Ubuntu has, so there's probably little to no reason for concern about Kubuntu having any major intrusive properties after all Linux Mint Cinnamon and Elementary OS are booth Ubuntu based and there all but mostly if not completely free of intrusive behavior. I already get enough spam, telemarketer calls, scams/solicitations. Maybe I'm being just a little paranoid here. :crazy:

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,875 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:18 PM

Pc spec's please.

About me: I'm a customization enthusiasts moderate to heavy web surfer games types I like and tend to play RPGs, Simulations, Action/Adventure, Strategy.   

Being that you have dual graphics, (Intel/NVIDIA), you may benefit from the Bumblebee package, if your graphics appears off. It's in your Software Manager, install & reboot to ensure install. If not, you can go back there & remove the same way (reboot after removal). It helped a lot with mine. 

If you don't want the Amazon garbage & I feel the same way, read on. This can be disabled. Note that all LInux distros based upon Ubuntu doesn't include this spyware. Linux Mint doesn't & there's other things not included, such as some updates that while presents no issues for the majority, does for some users. So the Mint developers made Level 4 & 5 updates optional. For example, why would someone with a NVIDIA card need ATI drivers? One wouldn't install these on Windows, same principal applies to Linux. 

http://www.reddit.com/r/Ubuntu/comments/1wo3ua/how_do_i_permanently_remove_all_the_spam_garbage/

Thanks this also looks nice but KaOS is 64bit only which might limit the number of apps available for me.

I personally don't know about KaOS, however most all other 64 bit Linux OS's offers more apps than the 32 bit counterparts. For example, Linux Mint 17 Mate 64 bit is showing me as am typing this post that there's 70,931 packages available. I know it to be fact that the 32 bit of the same OS offers much less, though still over 40,000 packages. Most all Linux distros that's based upon Ubuntu is the same in this regard. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,875 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:41 PM

What I like focus on now is how to install or at least copy Linux to a external HDD much like how you can stall it to a usb thumbdrive and also how to install wireless drivers in Linux.

No big deal as to the first question. 

When installing to an external, you have 2 options. The easiest (& safest) way is to simply remove the internal drive (notebook) or unplug both the data & power cables from hard drive or SSD (desktop). 

If this is too much work, then during the install process, during the part where you're creating your partitions, there's an option as to which device to install the bootloader to. Do Not select the main partition of your LInux install, select the device. For example, /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc, are devices. Not /dev/sdc1, that's a partition. 

The advise used to be to remove or unplug any drives for protection of the installed OS'(s), then it shifted towards selecting the device. However there's been a few to torch their installs on the internal drive this way, one just a couple of days ago on this very forum. Read my advise, the closing sentence of my post (#38) & then what the OP ended up doing in the very next post (#39). 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/540870/replace-lm17mq-64bit-with-32bit/page-3

This is why I've shifted back to if there's doubt, disconnect/remove the installed HDD/SSD for safety. 

As to Question #2, Many Linux OS's has the wireless drivers built in. Booting from the LIve DVD or Flash drive will determine this. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 21 July 2014 - 07:43 PM.

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,682 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:47 PM

don't recall if it supports rolling updates or not.

No, It's LTS 5 years support only.

I was leaning towards something like Mint

Mint 17 is nice, Good choice.

By the way is there any chance if you load infected files into Linux with quality AV with real-time shields that it could spread to the Windows partition?

In theory yes, I doubt it will happen in the real world, Somebody from Malware response team can answer this better.

would it be possible to unmount Linux from the Windows partition or is this only possible from a live environment?

I do not know how to do this I have not used Windows in a long time.

I'm also intrigued about the built-in (VirtualBox) Virtual Machine

Every Linux can run a VM, You will have no probs there. Its in the Software manager click and point.

OR

To install VirtualBox, Open terminal and type.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install virtualbox-4.3

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

RoboLinux

Never used it, So I cant tell you anything about it.

Edited by NickAu1, 21 July 2014 - 10:48 PM.

#15 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 738 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:59 AM

don't recall if it supports rolling updates or not.

No, It's LTS 5 years support only.

I was leaning towards something like Mint

Mint 17 is nice, Good choice.

By the way is there any chance if you load infected files into Linux with quality AV with real-time shields that it could spread to the Windows partition?

In theory yes, I doubt it will happen in the real world, Somebody from Malware response team can answer this better.

would it be possible to unmount Linux from the Windows partition or is this only possible from a live environment?

I do not know how to do this I have not used Windows in a long time.

I'm also intrigued about the built-in (VirtualBox) Virtual Machine

Every Linux can run a VM, You will have no probs there. Its in the Software manager click and point.

OR

To install VirtualBox, Open terminal and type.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install virtualbox-4.3

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

My appreciations NickAu1 although virtualiztion/sandboxing is something I'm a big fan of and I know about VB and how its available for all the major distros in fact I'm currently using a sandbox application on my Windows system SBIE, but when I caught wind of the Stealth VM feature in RoboLinux which they did by modifying VirtualBox, look up TheRobolinux on YouTube and watch booth Stealth VM Running inside Linux Mint and C Drive to VM I believe this is possible natively in VB but from what I understand the Robo team has optimized VB to make the these process to make them more intuitive and secure it's available for download on there website.

RoboLinux

Never used it, So I cant tell you anything about it.

No big deal as to the first question. 

When installing to an external, you have 2 options. The easiest (& safest) way is to simply remove the internal drive (notebook) or unplug both the data & power cables from hard drive or SSD (desktop). 

If this is too much work, then during the install process, during the part where you're creating your partitions, there's an option as to which device to install the bootloader to. Do Not select the main partition of your LInux install, select the device. For example, /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc, are devices. Not /dev/sdc1, that's a partition. 

The advise used to be to remove or unplug any drives for protection of the installed OS'(s), then it shifted towards selecting the device. However there's been a few to torch their installs on the internal drive this way, one just a couple of days ago on this very forum. Read my advise, the closing sentence of my post (#38) & then what the OP ended up doing in the very next post (#39). 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/540870/replace-lm17mq-64bit-with-32bit/page-3

This is why I've shifted back to if there's doubt, disconnect/remove the installed HDD/SSD for safety. 

As to Question #2, Many Linux OS's has the wireless drivers built in. Booting from the LIve DVD or Flash drive will determine this. 

Cat

Thanks for the tutorial. And that's the problem I ran Mint from a USB Thumbdrive and it's unable to connect to my wireless router after doing a little research I found out that for some reason the drivers are for my Edimax wireless USB adapter. By the way I noticed that a lot of the links for almost any Linux distros are malicious (thank you VirusTotal) I'm pretty certain that I didn't download a infected file, but out of curiosity if this where to happen could it butch a Linux install by lacing the with spyware so when you load it to a flashdrive or CD/DVD it embeds itself deep in the kernel or are these infections meant to exploit Windows exclusively?

Edited by SuperSapien64, 22 July 2014 - 03:00 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users