Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how does intel core 2 q9550 cpu stand against the newer budget CPUs from Amd?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ythao01

ythao01

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:07 PM

I'm creating a budget build and I got a q9550 cpu, hd 5870 gpu and 4 gigs of ddr2 ram from my cousin. all I need is a mobo for it to function. But I was wondering if it would be worth it to just buy a new mobo, ram and a budget amd cpu.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:43 PM

Just my novice opinion...there is no point at all in buying components long superceded by better/faster components...unless you have an old system and are using bubblegum to keep it running until it dies.

The increase in processing power and RAM speed available in budget components today...far outstrip anything dating back to the DDR2 era.

I don't buy Intel CPUs (personal bias) but take a look at where your CPU stands on This Chart (second one, value).  That appears to be pretty good value, IMO.

With that in mind...I'd have to ask...just why I feel the need to change anything...before deciding what direction, if any, to move towards.

I buy new components for a system on nothing but whim...but I'm retired, don't have a family to support, and feel free to indulge myself with personal whims these days :).  I need no reason to "upgrade" or "change" a system that performs to my satisfaction...but I can do so, if the idea takes root.  I expect very little from doing so, other than I now have a system that is ostensibly "better/faster" than the one that I was satisfied with :).

That being the case...I have to ask what is it that makes you even consider changing anything with your system?

To answer your question (topic title)...IMO, all AMD CPUs are "budget CPUs" since they cost considerably less than their highly vaunted Intel counterparts.

You might do some research at PassMark and similar sites...to try to find an answer to your question...to me, beauty is in the eye of the beholder (since our computers are nothing but toys for us "grownups" and there is no set rule that one has to employ...when choosing favorite toys :) or deciding that we want a new toy.

Louis

#3 ythao01

ythao01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:08 PM

Just my novice opinion...there is no point at all in buying components long superceded by better/faster components...unless you have an old system and are using bubblegum to keep it running until it dies.

The increase in processing power and RAM speed available in budget components today...far outstrip anything dating back to the DDR2 era.

I don't buy Intel CPUs (personal bias) but take a look at where your CPU stands on This Chart (second one, value).  That appears to be pretty good value, IMO.

With that in mind...I'd have to ask...just why I feel the need to change anything...before deciding what direction, if any, to move towards.

I buy new components for a system on nothing but whim...but I'm retired, don't have a family to support, and feel free to indulge myself with personal whims these days :).  I need no reason to "upgrade" or "change" a system that performs to my satisfaction...but I can do so, if the idea takes root.  I expect very little from doing so, other than I now have a system that is ostensibly "better/faster" than the one that I was satisfied with :).

That being the case...I have to ask what is it that makes you even consider changing anything with your system?

To answer your question (topic title)...IMO, all AMD CPUs are "budget CPUs" since they cost considerably less than their highly vaunted Intel counterparts.

You might do some research at PassMark and similar sites...to try to find an answer to your question...to me, beauty is in the eye of the beholder (since our computers are nothing but toys for us "grownups" and there is no set rule that one has to employ...when choosing favorite toys :) or deciding that we want a new toy.

Louis

Well the thing is, I don't acually have a working desktop right now so I was just debating whether it was worthit to just dish out like 60 bucks for a mobo and get my higher end but way outdated parts working again or dish out 300 bucks for a not outdated but budget mobo and ram build.

I have very little knowledge in the pc world and have done a little research and based on benchmarks I've seen online the q9550 is still a comparable cpu to a Athlon 760k but that didn't really settle with me right since I don't exactly know much and all I know is the q9550 is pretty old compaired to the 760k. I also read online that ddr3 isn't "that" much faster then ddr2 but then again I don't know.

I kinda look at it as a toy too or... more as a "want" then a "need". that's why I'm a bit money conscious about this.

#4 Ocsi'c

Ocsi'c

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:47 PM

You probably will have a hard time finding a new mobo for the q9550. Socket 775 boards are not commonly available. I think that buying new components would be a better bet, especially if you are assembling a computer for the first time. Used parts are always suspect and one bad part can spoil the whole joy of trying to build your own computer. I agree that AMD cpu's are a good choice for "budget" builds. I prefer AMD CPU's but build systems with Intel as well. I feel AMD gives better computing value per dollar.

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:48 PM

The Q9550 was considerably faster than the AMD CPU's of it's time (2008, think first generation Phenom X4's).  Something like the current X4 760K should have the edge and the FX-4300, FX-4350 or above will be faster by a fair amount.  However, for free it is a nice deal :)  The Q9550 can be overclocked with a decent motherboard and enough cooling.  There are sellers of manufacturer refurb boards on Ebay, don't know what they are like.

Edited by jonuk76, 18 July 2014 - 07:57 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 ythao01

ythao01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:13 PM

I like the idea of building from new parts I might just go with that. I've been a little iffy about ordering an old used motherboard from ebay because I heard it's the most fragile part. And most of them wouldn't allow a return. thx guys

#7 ythao01

ythao01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:16 PM

are they any nice budget cpu line ups from intel other then an i3? or even from amd? only ones I know of is the APUs, fx and athlons.

#8 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:14 AM

Intel CPUs are horrible with budgets compared to their AMD counter-parts. If you have a high budget, I would strongly suggest Intel for their quality, but in terms of budget, AMD is your way to go.

mYIGVc5.png

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:01 AM

are they any nice budget cpu line ups from intel other then an i3?

Take my word for it, any "budget" Intel CPU below an i3 is just that & if you're looking for a powerful computer, forget it. Running with anything below an i3, would be the equivalent of pulling a huge bass boat with a 4 cylinder Toyota truck. 

I make no bones about it, Intel is my favorite brand of components & am willing to pay for what it offers. 

However I've also worked with AMD & for what you'll fork over for a budget Intel will easily buy a mid to upper mid grade AMD APU. (CPU/GPU in one). Yes may use a bit more power, but nothing compared to that q9550, it throws off the heat. Plus DDR2 RAM is far more costly then the current DDR3. My suggestion is if you're on a budget & want a nicely equipped PC, go with an AMD build. You'll get more for your money than with Intel components of the same cost. Don't cheap out on the heatsink & fan, this is where I see a few overheating. Or the thermal paste was improperly applied. 

That CPU likely has some value, so does the 4GB DDR2 RAM, you can sell both on eBay to have some cash. DDR2 RAM is costly these days, even used modules. 

The one component that you can possibly use & still gets updates, is the GPU, that is, if you want (or need) to wait before getting a new one. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#10 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:04 AM

Yep, Cat's got it. I'm a Intel fan myself, and the quality that you get from all their products is absolutely awesome. However, AMD's prices do make it an interesting proposition for PC builders. Don't be fooled that it's better because it has higher clock rates, and is cheaper. They have over-heating issues, as they're pretty much over-clocked out of the factory, and their cheapness is attributed to their build quality (however, they're not as bad as I make them sound).

mYIGVc5.png

#11 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:39 AM

the 5870 still has life left in it. it has the latest features and is quite strong. it runs in the same woods as the 6950 or 560ti . the q9550 is high clocked and chances are that it was pushed even further. the cpu itself was well known for generous l2 cache. I have the 6600 2.4 ghz version of it with the 4gb ddr2 ram myself on an asus p5n-d mobo . the q9550 with the 5870 is a good combo i think. not the best, but the budget can't be beaten.

there are so many iterations of the 775 motherboards. to get one pre-owned would certainly be a risk.  i have seen them for sale at a wide span of prices. some of them won't support any cpu other than p4 or celeron d. if you do go that route, the intel boards were quite the keepers back then, and probably still are.

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/motherboard/#m=21&s=13

as mentioned above, a ddr2 ram upgrade is quite expensive. my 4gb is plenty though.

the one variable to be concerned about is the OS. once windows gets assigned to the motherboard, that is it. even though it is loaded on the hard drive, its license is locked onto the motherboard. so if the motherboard tanks, you are stuck with the same type of mobo in order for the license to function.

so, as mentioned above, it is a judgement call. but as always, the lower budget usually wins out.

Edited by synergy513, 19 July 2014 - 05:41 AM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#12 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:57 AM

are they any nice budget cpu line ups from intel other then an i3? or even from amd? only ones I know of is the APUs, fx and athlons.

Yes, Pentium G3258 Anniversary Edition.  If you are prepared to overclock, they offer a lot of performance for the money ($69).  Officially you need a Z87 or Z97 motherboard to use the unlocked multiplier features.

7sbvuf-6.png

#13 ythao01

ythao01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:08 AM

I decided to go with new parts. I'm probably going to go with an Athlon 760k with a MSI a88x-41 and 4 gigs of G.skill 1600 ram.

Is dual channel ram much better then single channel and is there a noticeable difference in ram with higher or lower latency? or even with the timings like say 9 vs 11

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:24 PM

FWIW:  I saw a number of Socket 775 boards when I visited Amazon yesterday. 

The question I ask myself...when I get the urge to just buy/assemble a new system...Is "What will I be able to do that I don't do now on my 2 current desktops?"  The answer is "nothing", since I started out playing in 1996 when the money I spent on a system would allow me to build at least 4-5 desktops today.

I love it when people cite that a given processor or system is "faster"...what are you doing that demands/requires a "faster" processor ?  If the answer is nothing, then engage in whimsical behavior, buy a new system...but keep the current system as a backup.  It's good to have a backup when hiccups develope.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 19 July 2014 - 12:31 PM.

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:20 PM

Is dual channel ram much better then single channel and is there a noticeable difference in ram with higher or lower latency? or even with the timings like say 9 vs 11 

Yes you want dual channel RAM, most all computers of today has MB's with a minimum of dual channel RAM slots. I can't say if single channel RAM would even work, these MB's are picky, as you'll read below in regards to my Toshiba. 

As to the timings, when I replace the RAM, will likely go with that of lower timings. Mine is somewhere in the neighborhood of 11-11-11-28, will be shooting for 9-9-9-24. To be honest, I don't know what real world effect it'll have on performance & daily use, but have always read that the lower the timings, the better, as long as the computer can accept & run the RAM. 

The last times I upgraded RAM was in my MSI (& later Toshiba) notebooks, though in the description on the site & on the package, it said 9-9-9-24, Speccy shows 7-7-7-20. This was with a set of GSkill DDR3 1333MHz (PC3-10700).  I thought something was wrong, so created a topic on the Overclocker's forum, where I was participating in the folding@home project. Was told that this worked out to the better for me, that the 7-7-7-20 is preferred over the description. 

However I was dealing with OEM computers, so that made the choice a lot easier. Oddly, the Crucial tool didn't recommend the right RAM for the Toshiba & though it fit & was recognized in the BIOS, Windows wouldn't boot. Pulled out my OEM RAM that I upgraded the MSI from (6GB, a 4GB & 2GB stick), it booted right up. So I bought the same exact set from Newegg that was purchased for the MSI (for over twice the price), could have used the 6GB as is, but prefer to keep extra RAM on hand. 

As to a new MB for your existing hardware, in addition to what Louis suggested as to Amazon, there are new ones on the Newegg site. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=socket+775+motherboard+ddr2+&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users