Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

will i be safer with complicated linux

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 lifesagame

lifesagame

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:30 PM

I love windows its great .yes u get small viruses etc but if u look after your pc your safe.

im not programmer and Linux expects too much in order to use it.

will I be Safer with Linux as Im willing to do it for security and install dual boot on my pc.

I have installed Linux on an old pc and found it too complicated too install  3rd party programs as it requires too much coding

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 8 to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:34 PM

Linux isn't that complicated anymore.  Truthfully,  I find windows 8 and 8.1 both a lot more complicated.  The new bootloaders work pretty good an most distros, and you can download tutorials if needed for installations.  I'm having a lot of trouble now with a windows 8 laptop with uefi.  Most all of it with the windows part.  Get a live disk, either download or get from someplace like osdisk, set your computer to start from either dvd or usb (depending on what you get, and play with it.  Learning to burn an iso file took me awhile, but it's really simple with the right programs.  As for installing 3rd party programs, look in their repositories first.  All you have to do is mark them and then click download install and you have them.  Third party can be confusing, and sometimes dangerous.  I'm just learning also.  O, I tried responding on windows 8, and saw this had been moved. 

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:57 PM

will I be Safer with Linux

In a word, Yes.

I have installed Linux on an old pc and found it too complicated too install  3rd party programs

Everything you need is in the repos, All you need to do is select what you want and install it. How do I install software, i hear you say.

Video is my work.
http://youtu.be/h_D5D8I_yqA

You just saw me install simple burn to my pc.

Third party can be confusing, and sometimes dangerous.

If I cant get it by typing sudo apt-get install XXXXX, if its not in software manager( as seen in the video I made above) or synaptics package manager, I wont put it on my PC.

Regardless of operating system downloading and installing 3rd party software from places like http://www.joesfreesoftware.ru is not safe. Only download from trusted sources, and even then be carefull.

Edited by NickAu1, 18 July 2014 - 08:17 PM.

#4 lifesagame

lifesagame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:04 AM

will I be Safer with Linux

In a word, Yes.

I have installed Linux on an old pc and found it too complicated too install  3rd party programs

Everything you need is in the repos, All you need to do is select what you want and install it. How do I install software, i hear you say.

Video is my work.
http://youtu.be/h_D5D8I_yqA

You just saw me install simple burn to my pc.

Third party can be confusing, and sometimes dangerous.

If I cant get it by typing sudo apt-get install XXXXX, if its not in software manager( as seen in the video I made above) or synaptics package manager, I wont put it on my PC.

Regardless of operating system downloading and installing 3rd party software from places like http://www.joesfreesoftware.ru is not safe. Only download from trusted sources, and even then be carefull.

You see I have to install third party apps ,its the reason I  have built this monstrostical computer else id use my tablet  .Linux app store is just as good as my fridge(empty)

#5 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:11 AM

What's your point, OP?

As a suggestion, should you desire help here or in any forum, please include your basic hardware specs and the apropos GNU/Linux distro of concern.

BTW, life may appear a game, but this is an illusion (LOL)!

Edited by pane-free, 19 July 2014 - 08:12 AM.

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

#6 Snackers

Snackers

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:02 PM

I personal use linux systems and find them easy to use and understandable to install. You try out Ubuntu or LinuxMint? They are both beginner friendly and a good gateway into the linux environment I say.

#7 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:23 AM

And you know me, I actually clicked on that link  :hysterical:  to joe's free software.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:26 AM

And you know me, I actually clicked on that link  :hysterical:  to joe's free software.

Its why I made up a site link.

Hey winter since you are so trusting, I have a nice house for sale in Washington. Ok its an older house and has had a few owners, It's in good shape, And cheap only 10 million.

According to real estate website Redfin, a luxury property hit the D.C. market this weekend: 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, "for sale by owner" for $10,000,000. They've since removed the listing, but we saved the charmingly bizarre mistaken one.

White House For Sale, Says Real Estate Website

2m2hoxu.jpg

Edited by NickAu1, 22 July 2014 - 12:28 AM.

#9 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:48 AM

A 4 digit authentication eh? :lol:

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,710 posts