Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

a thunder burned my laptop mb, is something else burned?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 spiros_makris

spiros_makris

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:55 PM

Hello, my laptop power supply and motherboard are burned by a thunder.

the question is if i buy and replace the mb ant the psu, will it work?

or can be more parts damaged, i.e. gpu, ram, monitor, etc  ?

please help

thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:33 PM

Without testing you cannot be certain, but if a lightning strike fried your PSU and motherboard it is a good bet that your GPU and RAM are also fried. You also have to consider the cost implications of replacing these components and the amount of work involved on a laptop. This would make me think fairly hard about a new laptop.

What I would do in your position is remove the hard drive and connect it as a slave to another computer to see what data I could salvage off it. You might need to buy a 'caddy' to put it in so you can connect by USB. Caddies are cheap and widely available, see -

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=hard+drive+caddy

And when you buy another laptop, or repair this one, I would suggest you buy a surge-arrester plug for it, or unplug it if there is a thunderstorm coming your way.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:20 AM

If a thunderstorm caused a surge, you can count on the other components to be fried. If you buy a HDD enclosure, or another desktop nearby, you can have a look and backup files (if possible).

mYIGVc5.png

#4 spiros_makris

spiros_makris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:10 AM

ok, thank you 

#5 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:11 AM

No problems, let us know if you require any other help, or problems arise. 

mYIGVc5.png

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:59 PM

This surge went from the primary side of the power adapter's transformer and out the secondary side with enough voltage to fry components on the motherboard.  I would be very surprised if you found much of anything of use on the motherboard.

Unlike my desktop, you have the option to remove the power adapter and run off of the battery during a thunder boomer.  Doing this would have saved your computer.  I bet you will never forget it. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users