Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 8.1 won't boot

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 fatmag

fatmag

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:28 PM

Hi there, i have a laptop with windows 8.1 single language in turkish. I wanted to change it to english this morning, downloaded english language pack and installed it. After reboot nothing came up, only gray screen.

After that i've found an ubuntu cd, so now i can reach to my important files.There is a recover option, but it will restore the factory settings. Everything will be erased. I don't what that. Is there any way to save my laptop? What should i do? please :/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dalachina

dalachina

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:27 AM

Hi, this may be when you discover disk imaging is a great way to back up your partitions or disk. I recommend Aomei Backupper. Disk imaging allows you to restore your PC or partitions exactly as they were when you created the image. And you can extract files from the images.

Now, Windows 8 does NOT allow you to do a repair install as in previous versions, sadly. So you can't simply reinstall Windows 'over the top' keeping everything else.

Nor can you get to Safe Mode in Win 8 by hitting F8 (not unless you had already used a well-known trick to enable it).

If you have a Win 8 CD/DVD (or an iso file you can burn one from) you can boot from that

Find the Startup Repair option, which will try to repair your startup configuration

You can also find your way to System Restore, and see if that helps.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/termsag/tp/advanced-startup-options.htm

Failing that, you may be forced to rescue what you can and reinstall. That's where partitioning can help somewhat- I try to keep as little as I can on C:\

Note that language packs are version specific- i.e. those for the same languages for Win 8 and 8.1 are different.

Good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users