Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 Will Not Sync Settings

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Cecilia421

Cecilia421

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:14 PM

Hi,

Since yesterday, when I changed my lock screen and desktop background/window color, I've been unable to get my Windows 8.1 desktop and laptop to sync settings. I don't know what happened because it was working before.

After restarting both computers, I did some Google searching and found this forum. I've tried the solution found here: http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/47776-windows-8-1-sync-settings-desktop-background-not-syncing.html

My situation is different, though, because I do have the "Synced Theme" available. It just doesn't seem to want to update. The lock screen is also not updating, so I can only assume that none of the settings are since I haven't changed anything else.

Anyway, I did all the steps from the post above (checked to make sure that syncing was enabled, deleted old backup information, and then saved the correct theme). Now, all I can see in OneDrive is the message "You don’t have any devices that are backing up settings to OneDrive," even though both computers have syncing enabled.

Both computers have sat unused for over two hours and no updating has happened at all. I don't know what to do. Please help!

"Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards."
- Soren Kierkegaard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:07 PM

Did you change the resolution of either?

Here is a link to the Microsoft Accounts Troubleshooter.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/4/F24D0C03-4181-4E5B-A23B-5C3A6B5974E3/microsoftaccounts.diagcab

#3 Cecilia421

Cecilia421
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:13 PM

No, I have not changed any resolutions. I've run the MS Account Troubleshooter several times already to no avail. It just stopped working and I don't know why. I've made sure that Windows is up to date on both computers.

- Soren Kierkegaard

#4 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:50 PM

Have you tried System Restore on the machine you made the changes to?

Have you tried opening an elevated command prompt and running the command sfc /scannow? (Note the space between sfc and the /)

#5 Cecilia421

Cecilia421
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:54 PM

I have not made any substantial changes to either of the machines. The only thing I changed was the desktop background and the lock screen image on the desktop. Until a couple of days ago, this would result in the settings being duplicated to my laptop.

What does sfc /scannow do?

- Soren Kierkegaard

#6 Cecilia421

Cecilia421
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:26 PM

Someone told me to try switching the account from Microsoft to Local and back again to get it to resync. I tried this on both machines and it took some time but it has synced now. I'm going to assume that it's working. So, for anyone who is having this issue:

1) On all the devices that are not syncing, switch your account from Microsoft to Local and back again.
2) Give it some time before you decide it didn't work - it took over an hour for the lock screen to sync.

Hopefully this will take care of the issue.

- Soren Kierkegaard

#7 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:09 PM

Glad to read that your issue seems to be resolved.

To answer your question, "What does sfc /scannow do?"

System File Checker is a Windows utility that will let you perform a scan for corrupted system files and possibly restore corrupted ones.

For details please follow this link... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

#8 Cecilia421

Cecilia421
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:36 PM

Thanks for the explanation!

- Soren Kierkegaard