Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Android OS on Nextbook tablet freeze on Boot up

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 WatDabney

WatDabney

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:05 PM

Again I am tasked with fixing someone elses tech problems since they know nothing about how these things work.  I'll try to be as descriptive as possible, as I'm not very familiar with Android OS or tablets in general...

This is a Nextbook 7 Premium tablet.  It was purchased near Dec of 2012.  It worked fine for the first few months of operation, but then it just stopped working one day...  I haven't been given any more details about the devise.

Currently, I have charged it over 12 hours to make sure it has a full charge.  When I press the Power button to turn it on, there is an image on the screen (a picture of someone lying on their back reading a book in a park, and the Nextbook name).  This screen flickers once after a few seconds, then another image appears (a picture of a young woman holding headphones to her ears in a park, and the Nextbook name).  Once that image appears, nothing else happens.  I have let it sit for a while to see if it 'wakes up' but nothing ever happens.  I eventually have to hold the Power button down to turn it off or it will just sit there, unresponsive.

I know how to get to the 'Recovery Utility' by holding the Power and Volume buttons but don't know what to do there or what most of those options are for.  If anyone can assist me further I would greatly appreciate it.  Again, I am not familiar with Android systems at all and have never tried to work on any kind of Tablet or Phone with these OS so I'm very new to this kind of tech support.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 WatDabney

WatDabney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:42 AM

nobody?  I have read a lot of forum posts but can't make sense of any of it...  like, what is rooting?  Is this something I can do to recover this thing?  I just don't understand how these things work and wish it was similar to working with windows.  

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:33 PM

What are the options that you are presented with when you go into recovery mode?

One of these may be what you need but worded strangely.

I can't help but ask if this thing died within a few months of purchase, why wasn't it returned under warranty? It could have been fixed then by the vendor.

Not to mention in my Google searches for information this tablet has a history of exhibiting this behavior. None of the outcomes I've seen are very positive.

Rooting is essentially wiping the device and installing a custom ROM of your choosing.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 WatDabney

WatDabney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:12 PM

This is what the screen looks like when I get into the Recovery Utility:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Android system recovery <3e>

Android system recovery utility

reboot system now

apply update from sdcard

wipe data/factory reset

wipe cache partition

apply update from Cache

wipe media partition

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

E:Bad bootloader arguments

"(null)"

E:failied to mount /sdcard (No such file or directory)

E:cannot mount /sdcard/factory_update_param.aml

E:unknown volume for path [/udisk/factory_update_param.aml]

E:Can't mount /udisk/factory_update_param.aml

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At this point I have tried every option:

-reboot system now only causes it to try and boot but gets frozen on load screen image

-apply update from sdcard causes these lines to add-

in "blue text"

Choose a package to install:

/sdcard

. ./ (highlighted)

under the original "yellow text" listed above

----E:failed to mount /sdcard (No such file or directory)

----E:cannot mount /sdcard (No such file or directory)

-with the wipe data/factory reset option selected-

in "blue text"

Confirm wipe of all user data?

THIS CAN NOT BE UNDONE.

a list of No(s) with a (yes -- delete all user data)

-I have already selected this option and tried a reboot but again, gets frozen at boot up image

-wipe cache partition selected adds under original-

in "yellow text"

--Wiping cache...

Formatting /cache...

Cache wipe complete.

-apply update from cache selected causes the screen to flicker, then shows the android background image with the little blue wireframe thing in it's chest to rotate, then reverts back to original text of the "Android system recovery <3e>" as if I just entered the recovery utility

-wipe media partition selected again shows the "Comfirm wipe/CAN NOT BE UNDONE" text

---adds to original "yellow text"

--Wiping media...

Formatting /media...

E:format_volume:fdist.media failed on /dev/block/avnft18p1 (127)

Media wipe complete.

--returns to original "recovery utility" screen

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can tell you that I don't know exactly what the history of this tablet is other than it was my mother's and she bought it in Dec 2012 and used it sporadically.  I didn't see her with it for a long time as she took it to her beach house and only recently brought it back, so I don't know how long it has been in this state.  She is not very technologically knowledgeable and she doesn't remember exactly what she was doing or when exactly is stopped working so I really don't have much to go on here. 

I have only seen a few different mentions of this Nextbook tablet and really not much info on tech support for it.  I don't even own a smart phone so I am not very familiar with Android OS or similar OS on tablets or phones.  But since I have been known to fix or clean other computers in my past, I'm expected to know how to recover this thing.

I have tried to use a USB transfer cable to connect to my laptop, but all it does is add 2 "Empty" removable drives to my "My Computer" window and no other info is available in the Properties or Drivers tabs when trying to explore it further.  Also, the only time is shows those removable drives is when I turn it on normally and it sits on the boot up image.  Starting in the recovery utility does not allow the removable drives to be recognized.

What options do I have at this point?  It would make no difference to me if it never works again, but it would be kinda nice to know what went wrong in the first place to be able to avoid this kind of issue in the future.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:51 AM

My best guess is that she was doing something that required access to the SD Card. And it appears that an SD Card was never installed. When it tried to access the SD Card, warnings were ignored. Subsequent actions taken have corrupted the OS.

This is my best guess based on the information you have provided and my knowledge of Android. Without a backup of the OS and limited vendor support and unlikely availability of an OS APK. Your only option is finding a compatible ROM that will work well with the hardware. Root the device and install the custom ROM.

I know what rooting is. I know what is entailed. Have I done it? No. So I am not the person to guide you beyond the information provided.

Wish I had better news, but from the limited information you got to begin with. This is the best suggestion I have.

One other thing. The OS that this device was running was Android 2.2 Gingerbread. There have been 4 incarnations of Android since. They are known as Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean and currently Kit Kat. And very likely the "L" iteration of Android will arrive around October. Just keep in mind anything you do time and effort wise is reviving a very antiquated mobile device in the grand scheme of things.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#6 WatDabney

WatDabney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:49 PM

Thank you for taking the time to look at this and answer.  As I said before, I really am not bothered if I can't get this thing working again, and will not spend any more time on it since it seems it will not be worth the trouble anyways.  I'm not familiar with how to "root" a device and honestly I just don't think it will be worth it.  I know when this was purchased, it was only because it was the cheapest option available at the time and I have always tried to explain to my mother that cheap is never the way to go when buying the latest technologies, and reliability/support are the main criteria for a purchase of this kind.  She doesn't get that and will continue to send me things like this to try and repair, and I can't do anything about it.  If she wants to waste her money, so be it, but I will no longer waste my time.  

Thanks again for your assistance.  I will continue to rely on this website for technical issues for my own devices as this has been a great help in the past and I hope will continue to be a viable resource for the future of technical support for all who need it.  (and now that I'm thinking of it, I have to look up/post an issue I'm having with this laptop...  lol)

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:25 PM

You're quite welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community. Your kind words about the site and assistance is greatly appreciated.

Best of luck on your personal trouble shooting issues. :)

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users