Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Filename, Directory Name Or System Volume Syntax Incorrect

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Kymberley

Kymberley

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:09 AM

That is the error message I get when I try to click my quick links on the taskbar, or any other program I want to run, launch, install, or use.

I have been dealing with this for days now. I have searched the net, and MS for any idea on how to resolve this. I finally decided to just reinstall XP Pro as a repair over the existing copy that is bad.

That is where I finally found the problem, but I have no idea how to fix this.

I have three hard drives on my computer. My boot drive has two partitions. My boot drive is J:\

When I went to reinstall Windows, it showed G:\ as the volume to install windows in as the repair.

I don't have a G:\ for any of my drives. I hit esc and went to select another location, hoping to find J:\

It is not there. I think this would explain the message since all my programs are installed on J:\

Is there a way to change this back to the way it was?

I had the mirar toolbar infection a few days ago. And I used the Symatec fix instructions for it, and it is gone. This all happened after.

Any help would be wonderful. I can't install any new programs or launch any thing.

I can't use Windows Update, because it won't let me resolve the Active X problems or java errors.

I don't see G:\ in the disk management either.

I also can not access regedit or msconfig or anything else. CMD prompt is not available either.

I am able to trick some files into installing or access programs I want to use by selecting "open with" on files that don't have an assigned program to open with or their assigned programs are now unavailable or missing.

MS Office is not working and won't install. I can't use any desktop icons to launch programs either, except for IE. My start>programs doesn't work to open or run anything either.

I can explore files and folders, and I can access the control panel, but the selections there are not available. I get that error message on everything except Admin Tools.

I have ran Xoft and Registry Mechanic and a Ewido. I have tried the online scanners from Norton and Trend Micro, but they will not run because of ActiveX. I have used Pandasoft to scan, and it is the only Program showing in the Download Programs folder on the internet options.
Help please!

Edited by Kymberley, 31 May 2006 - 09:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:14 AM

Since you know exactly when this problem began use System Restore to return your system state to a previous, working point.

start>programs>accessories>system tools>system restore

#3 Kymberley

Kymberley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:17 AM

It only shows a restore date of this morning. It was disabled when the problem began. Each restore point that I have saved since then are all bad as well. Plus, I can't get into the System Restore option now. I forgot how I managed to do it this morning. I have been working on this for five or six hours today already.

I can't launch programs or cmd prompts to run anything. I get that same error all the time.

Is there a way to change the volume label that is being read as G:\ back to what it really is J:| ?

Edited by Kymberley, 31 May 2006 - 09:19 AM.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:29 AM

Go to
start>programs>administrative tools>computer management>

A box will open

open the "storage" tree

Click on "disk management"

When the right side pane populates right click on the drive you want to change and then select "change drive letters and paths"

#5 Kymberley

Kymberley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:33 AM

Go to
start>programs>administrative tools>computer management>

A box will open

open the "storage" tree

Click on "disk management"

When the right side pane populates right click on the drive you want to change and then select "change drive letters and paths"

I have tried that and get the error message the the boot volume drive letter cannot be changed. It shows J:| as the boot drive. But when I was trying to reinstall Windows as a repair option is where I noticed the G:\ is listed as the boot drive.

I do not have G:\ drive at all.

This is why I am asking if there is a way to change the system volume label to whatever it needs to be so that my programs will work again.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2006 - 10:38 AM

Try booting to safe mode and use last known good configuration.

Other than that, try physically disconnecting all drives but the boot drive (which should be connected and jumpered as a master drive, connected to the end connection of the IDE cable, and with the computer off of course) and reboot. It should then become C, which is what it should have been anyway if this operation works correctly.

Then shut down and reconnect the other drives.

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 31 May 2006 - 12:30 PM

If you have only one installation of Windows on your hard drive, that should be the one you repair. Your drives may look different from the XP disk menu since USB is probably not loaded and some of your drives may be external and not being shown.

Take a close read at Michael Steven's Windows repair install guide.

#8 Kymberley

Kymberley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2006 - 08:50 PM

Is there not a way to rename the system volume label so my computer recognizes that the Mysterious G:\ drive is actually the real J:\ drive?

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:55 PM

Did you try shutting down the computer and disconnecting all drives but your boot drive and rebooting?

#10 Kymberley

Kymberley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 12:43 AM

I did that. It renamed my boot drive as c:\

Now all my files are there but under the older folder and user name. It made me re-do the user name and although all the files and programs are still there, I have to reinstall everything. No J:\ drive is present in the disk management but all the files are still listed on that drive.

Is changing or renaming the system volume label not possible?

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:06 AM

Did you change or add user names to place it on the other drive?

C is the correct drive for your boot drive. Naming it J will become a problem in the future again anytime you add a usb drive or anything else that adds a drive and changes the drive order - as already happened to you.
If you use Windows Explorer and open the programs you have installed (which are now on the C drive) one by one they may correct themselves in the registry. Try it.

Look at eash aps file and click on the .exe files in each program.

Edited by Enthusiast, 01 June 2006 - 08:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users