Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chrome wont work

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DiaSmall

DiaSmall

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:03 PM

Started day before yesterday. When I click to open chrome it lags, loads eventually, and then for every 5-6 keystrokes I get in, the program starts Not Responding... it will eventually go where I need it to. But typing one email could take 30 minutes.

I have tried:

Uninstalling anything unnecessary-- toolbars and the like.

Uninstalling Chrome/ Restart/ Reinstalling.

Downloaded AVG Antivirus, uninstalled IObit software that was on it, Scanned with AVG. Nothing special. Restart.

Downloaded & Scanned with Spybot Search & Destroy & MBAM... restarts between. Ran MBAM twice.

Uninstalling chrome/ Restart/ Reinstalling.

No toolbars, no add-ons... I just don't know.

So far nothing has changed. The rest of the PC works okay.

I'm in IE now, and it works okay too. Slow, but works.

Old PC from 2009, running Windows 7 Home. 32bit.

Any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:05 PM

What anti-virus were you running before you installed AVG, and did you fully uninstall the previous one ?

I'm in IE now, and it works okay too. Slow, but works.

Is it 'normally' slow, or 'unusually' slow ? And can you give us the make and model of your computer ?

You have done what I would consider the immediate action drill, in uninstalling and re-installing Chrome.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 DiaSmall

DiaSmall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:59 PM

IOBit anti virus was on it before. It's gone.

The only odd thing I notice is the address bar in IE gets taken over by MP3TubeToolbarSearch instead of a standard yahoo/google search.

Suggestions? I can't find it to uninstall.

#4 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:13 PM

Try this for Chrome ... http://www.ehow.com/video_12277290_uninstall-toolbar-chrome.html .

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:30 PM

MP3 Tube sounds like one of those toolbars that gets installed by stealth when you download some other useful product. Here is a method to get rid of it from a Microsoft help site -

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_programs/i-cant-remove-mp3tube/5c5ea8a4-dcea-4524-8dec-9feab9f61cfe

If  you have any other such toolbars or search 'helpers' you probably should get rid of them. If you can't uninstall them through Control Panel, then google for their name + remove or uninstall. There is no certain way to avoid occasionally getting stuck with unwanted products like these, but in general never choose the 'automatic' or 'easy' install options when installing downloaded software, always use the 'custom' option. I have lost count of the number of times I have uninstalled Chrome !

I am sorry that I missed you said you had uninstalled the Iobit AV in your OP, but it might still be worth your while to use something like the Revo uninstaller to make sure that any remaining fragments are removed. Even fragments of an earlier AV can cause problems. You can get Revo from BC, here -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/revo-uninstaller/

Just a minor aside, you might be better with the more modern Super AntiSpyware rather than Spybot. I used Spybot for years but. oh my, it was slow. If you want to try it, you can also get it from BC -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/superantispyware/

Chris Cosgrove

#6 ulupoi

ulupoi

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:52 PM

If you're having a problem with slow typing or otherwise slow performance with Chrome, you might try turning hardware acceleration off or updating your graphics driver.

After updating to Chrome version 36, I experienced a terribly annoying lag when typing into any text box, from the Gmail compose box to the omnibox/address bar. The quick solution was to turn off hardware acceleration. Go to Settings by clicking on the "Customize and control Google Chrome" icon (three parallel bars at the top right corner of the window) and select "Settings", then scroll to the bottom of the "Settings" window and click on "Show advanced settings...". Scroll down to the "System" section. The second item in that section is "Use hardware acceleration when available." Uncheck that box. Worked for me! I got this solution from Leo M's comment to this blog post: http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/2014/07/stable-channel-update.html

Following the advice of one of the comments in this thread (https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=395253), I updated the driver for my display adapter (ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 series), and now I can run Chrome with hardware acceleration turned on without a problem. At least in my case, it seems that hardware acceleration in Chrome 36 was incompatible with my old (2009) graphics driver. 

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,999 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:17 PM

Ran MBAM twice.

DiaSmall, did MBAM find anything? You mention a couple of reboots, I'm beginning to wonder if there is infection left on your system. As far as IObit goes, I personally haven't used their software in years & won't again, because of this. 

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/29681-iobit-steals-malwarebytes-intellectual-property/

You may not be aware of this, but was a hot topic in late 2009/early 2010. My suspicions are that they haven't changed. 

MBAM is indeed a great anti-malware software, however it performs best in Active (real time) mode, a feature of their Premium version. 

Like Chris stated above, use Revo Uninstaller to get as much of the old software out, including registry keys & all of the folders left behind. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users