Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Miotkem

Miotkem

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:08 AM

Mod Edit:  Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/541388/my-internet-keeps-getting-disabled/ - Hamluis.

I have a similar problem. Can I post in here or do I need to make a new topic?

I was on the web looking through facebook, I followed a link to a site. While there, a suspicious pop-up came up. I immediately stopped and tried to close it, but I believe I got infected. It was at this point that my internet indicator in the system tray (I was connected through my wireless router) displayed a red x over it. I was still connected to the internet and able to surf around.

When I clicked on the network connection in the system tray and selected the connection I was using, it said my current settings didn't match those of the connection.

I went to the "manage internet connections" and deleted the connection profile, then I tried to reconnect to that connection in the list of available wireless connections. It would not accept my password. However, I know the wireless router is working and I know that my password is correct, because I can connect to my wireless router with my other devices... the password and the internet were both working on other devices, but my seemingly infected desktop was just telling me that my security passphrase for the wireless connection was incorrect. It didn't even appear to query the wireless, it IMMEDIATELY told me the passphrase was incorrect.

At this point I did a quick scan with Avast (free) and Malwarebytes (free). Malwarebytes found a bunch of things and removed them, but that didn't seem to help.

I restarted my computer, this time in Safe Mode with Networking, I re-ran Malwarebytes and it didn't find anything.

The issue persists.

Edited by hamluis, 19 July 2014 - 03:22 PM.
PM sent new OP, Moved to AII - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:03 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#3 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:02 AM

Can you also follow this guide it may remedy your issues.

http://windowsinstructed.com/windows-7-or-vista-machine-is-running-a-bit-slower-than-it-used-to/

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:03 AM

Please post the Malwarebytes log in this topic.  Do not use another site to host it, and don't wrap it in code or quotes.

To find your Malwarebytes log,download mbam-check.exe from here and save it to your desktop.

To open the log double click on mbam-check.exe on your desktop.  When the log opens, scroll down toward the bottom of the log to Quarantined Items.  Copy and paste this in your next post.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Miotkem

Miotkem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:53 PM

I tried to post both sets of results and it froze the page and took a few minutes for it to reload again, so I will try to do one at a time.

MiniToolBox Results:

Spoiler

#6 Miotkem

Miotkem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:05 PM

I had issues with posting the speccy results. I couldn't follow those directions exactly because without the internet my infected computer could not publish the results. So I saved the results as a .txt file and it is apparently too long to post here, it won't let me.

So I will attach the text file, hopefully that helps.

Attached File  SpeccyResults.txt   278.39KB   2 downloads

#7 Miotkem

Miotkem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:08 PM

Unfortunately there's not much from the Malwarebytes' log:

Quarantined Items:
===================
Unable to access quarantine information: Error code 20001===============================================================
END OF FILE

#8 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:24 PM

Have you had a look at the guide and attempted anything?

#9 Miotkem

Miotkem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:54 PM

I haven't had a chance to run through the guide yet, but I will do that tonight when I have a chance (we have people coming over and I don't have time to run through it all atm), but I did try using my network adapter from the computer having problems on my laptop and it doesn't work, so it seems there may be an issue with the USB wireless network adapter itself.

My laptop has a wireless network adapter built into it, and I can connect to the router just fine now (I had to get the static IP information from the ISP again to get that working again). When I turn off the built in adapter and I try using the USB network adapter form my home PC I can see the wireless networks, but it tells me the passphrase is incorrect again.

Sounds like a hardware issue... though it's odd that it can see the wireless signal, it just won't connect to it when it's a secure connection.

If I don't find anything when I go through that initial guide you linked, I think I may just simply need to replace my USB wireless adapter.

#10 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:08 PM

Ok, might be useful in speeding up your machine. Good you got it figured out.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:48 AM

Try doing a System Restore.  Choose a restore point prior to the facebook incident.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users