Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to connect to wireless router

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Miotkem

Miotkem

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:23 AM

I followed a link from facebook and a suspicious pop-up came up. I believe at this point my desktop became infected.

The wireless internet connection indicator in my system tray showed a red "X" over it. I was still connected, however, and able to access the internet. When I clicked on the internet connection, it just said that my current settings didn't match those of the connection. At this point, I updated my anti-virus software (free version of Avast) and Malwarebytes (also free version) figuring I didn't have long before I lost the internet completely.

I tried deleting the internect connection profile from the "Manage Network Connections" section of the control panel. WHen I tried to reconnect to my home wireless network it continued to tell me that my passphrase was incorrect, and it wouldn't connect. However, I know that the password is correct, and that the wireless router is (was, more on that later) connected to the internet because I could access the wireless network with other devices (iPad2 for instance).

I ran a "quick scan" in Avast, didn't find anything. I ran a full scan with Malwarebytes and it found a lot of things. I removed them. I restarted my computer and logged in using Safe Mode with Networking. I ran another Malwarebytes' scan and it didn't find anything.

The issue persists.

I tried resetting the wireless router to factory settings. I was able to connect to it with my desktop again and access the router settings. I was able to rename my wireless connection and assign it a password again. However, as soon as I did this, it reset the connection, and then my desktop was unable to connect to it again. It goes back to telling me that my passphrase is incorrect whenever I try to connect to it.

The killer here is that now that I've done this, my other devices can still connect to the wireless router, but they no longer reach the internet.

Unfortunately I'm at work right now, but I'm concerned that I won't be able to access these forums at all once I return home unless I can restore my internet connection.

I am seeking advice on how to address the infection in my home desktop PC. As far as the internet connection goes, my plan is to disconnect my home PC from the wireless completely, reset the router to factor settings (again) and try to set up the wireless router using a clean system (probably by bringing my work laptop home and using it to set up my wireless router again).

It would be great to know if there is any additional software I can download from here and install on my home desktop using a flashdrive or something since it seems to be prevented from accessing the internet directly... 

Thank you for reading my post and I'm hopeful you can help me get this straightened out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,173 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:15 AM

Hello, don't know your Operating system, for the connection..

Please click Start > Run, type inetcpl.cpl in the runbox and press enter.
Click the Connections tab and click the LAN settings option.
Verify if "Use a proxy..." is checked, if so, UNcheck it and click OK/OK to exit.
Now check if the internet is working again.

OR

Go to Start ... Run and type in cmd
A dos Window will appear.
Type in the dos window: netsh winsock reset
Click on the enter key.

Reboot your system to complete the process.

If needed : type these one line at a time, press enter after each line. See if it works after each.

netsh interface ipv4 reset
netsh interface ipv6 reset
ipconfig /flushdns

WIN7.. Please Download this file, Click Me
Right-click on winsockfix.bat and click on Run as Administrator.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Miotkem

Miotkem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:18 AM

Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit

Sorry for leaving that out. I will try these steps on the router when I get home.

Thank you so much for the timely reply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users